Monday, April 04, 2011

Singapore, December '10: Night Safari & The Great Fish Spa Debate

I know, I know. It's been so long since that week-long, sempena-Christmas-in-Singapore, family holiday with the future in-laws, that I might as well not talk about it already, right? Eee, dun la you all... So bad. -_-'''


Anyway, I've actually got an ulterior motive for writing about this lah. You see, after my fish spa experience at Kenko, I looked up my Singapore pictures and found massive differences in terms of the way the fishes looked. But don't just take my word for it. Check out the pictures for yourselves later and come to your own conclusions, ok? Ok.


Now, back to the Singapore trip.


So since there were animal-loving kids in our convoy, we decided to take one night off to visit the Singapore Night Safari. Naturally, we just had to arrive fashionably late. And because of that, we ended up facing a mad, mile-long ticketing queue. -_-'''


 The tail end of the line where we were standing.


So, while the older ones kuai-kuai waited in line, the boys went off to try and cut queue (I don't believe I just said that -_-'''), and the girls – The Lauderone and I – decided to put our time to good use and fish spa our wait away. Haha.


There was a shop at a corner just by the entrance that we saw on our way in so that's where we were off to as soon as the boys disappeared. The Lauderone very kindly gave me a fish spa treat that night and if I remember correctly, it was worth $10 SGD or something for 10 or 15 minutes.


 Washing our feet before being allowed anywhere near the fish. =p


 First EVER experience with Doctor Fish a.k.a Garra Rufa.


I had terribly cracked heels at the time due to pak hong (read: cold winds from the North) so it was really no surprise to see where the fishes flocked to. -_-'''


Fishes enjoying a delicious buffet of dry skin and cracked heels. =p


 Close-up.


 The Lauderone and I enjoying our super speedy  fish spa session.


Yes, yes... we also know the sign say cannot take pictures. But we're bad-ass rebels when it comes to things like this. Hey, at least we didn't cut queue. *grin* Haha. KIDDING LAH. That wan the shopkeeper offered to take for us wan. =)


But the fun didn't last very long. Cos I dunno what kind of bomoh black magic the boys did that night but... they managed to get us tickets in under 5 minutes!! So with that, our fish spa session came to an abrupt end and they forced us to leave the shop. No kidding. We were so reluctant to go! Chinese ma. Takkan pay for 15 minutes then only use for 5 minutes meh?? So bo tat. Haih.

  
Anyway, back to the real vs fake fish spa theory.


I'll show you the actual picture I took and an accompanying close-up with captions below them. Then, YOU decide if the fishes at Kenko are the real deal or not.

 Picture 1.1: Taken at Singapore Night Safari


Picture 1.2: Close-up of Garra Rufa in Picture 1.1


Just note and pay special attention to the colour of the fishes – golden brown along the body and pinkish around the fins, the light tiger-y design of their scales along the sides of their bodies, and the placement of their fins.


 Picture 2.1: Also taken at Singapore Night Safari


 Picture 1.2: Close-up of Garra Rufa in Picture 2.1


Now, check out this picture I took today at Kenko.


Picture 3.1: Taken at Kenko Reflexology
& Fish Spa, Mid Valley Mega Mall


Picture 3.2: Close-up #1 of what is
supposedly Garra Rufa in Picture 3.1


Picture 3.3: Close-up #2 of what is
supposedly Garra Rufa in Picture 3.1


Come on, don't tell me you can't see the difference. These Kenko little fellas are flat-bodied (like regular sucker fishes), have extra fins down the sides of their bodies and are BLACK/SUPER DARK GREY! Gah! Fakers!!! 


If you need more convincing, nah:

Side by side pictures for you
to compare to your heart's content.


Left: From Night Safari, Singapore;
Right: From Kenko, Mid Valley Mega Mall.


So... are Kenko's Garra Rufa real or fake?


p/s: Honestly, tell me. Should I still bother writing about the Singapore trip? Or would you just rather I finish up my last day in Perth, Australia, call it a day, and just forget about Singapore altogether? You decide. Your wish is my command. =p

11 comments :

goingkookies said...

Write both!! =p

Perhaps finish the Perth ones first.. then Singapore ones. then wedding planning for noobs like me! =p

hon said...

hope you enjoyed your trip to this little sunny island i call home... for now.

Pam Song said...

ATTN: goingkookies
– HAHAHA. Why did I think you guys would just pick one? Hahahaha. Okok. Finish Perth first. One more day only that wan. =p Then will sieve in some wedding planning posts in between for you. Haha.


ATTN: hon
– I did! I did! But that was last December. Haha. Been 3 months since. Maybe I should go again. =p

hon said...

frankly, i hate this place... can't wait to leave!

Pam Song said...

ATTN: hon
– WADDD??? Whyyyyy?? I thought you liked life there. :-/

陳一豪 said...

Eh my message didn't get through the first time FOL.

I said:

Fish spas are not something I'll try. Someone mentioned that the risk of blood borne pathogens could possibly latch onto your own feet if a carrier had came in earlier.

They could UV treat the water, but really how many of them actually do that?

Pam Song said...

ATTN: 陳一豪
– Haha. Blogger system error kut.

Anyway, you're right lah. Kenko claims that they UV treat the water. That's what they say lah. And that they change the water daily. But... you never know with these things. Gotta get the inside scoop.

陳一豪 said...

Also, I'm not sure how much UV exposure is required to effectively kill the pathogens.

IINM water needs to be circulated at 7x the volume (i.e. if tank is 100 litres, pump capacity must be 700litres/hour) and you can only imagine how little exposure to UV each pathogen may get.

Pam Song said...

ATTN: 陳一豪
– Eh dun keep freaking me out laaaa. T_T

My feet are still normal-looking and my toenails haven't fallen off. I assume it's all still ok?

Unknown said...

Wow, it looks like you had a great time in doing fish spa in singapore... Looking forward to do it also..:)

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Angic
– Yeah, go have the time of your life! =)

Post a Comment

Talk to me!