Thursday, July 17, 2008

I Must Be SAD To Be GREAT!

It's been awhile since I laid my hands on a musical instrument.
(One-off strums on TimTam's acoustic don't count.)


And I have to say that sometimes, I wonder if I still remember anything my 8 years of lessons taught me. Yep, you read it right. I had my fair share of piano lessons for awhile when I was a kid. (Terrer or not?) Probably learned a grand total of 2 songs in my 8 years of classes, though. Haha. My mother fed up. And finally give up on me altogether. Sold my piano to the secondhand guys last year. -_-


Thing is, I somehow blogged hopped into a-stranger-named-Scott's blog today and what he said about songwriting made me pause to think. His theory is this: the best songwriters are the ones who are most depressed.


Click here to read from source.


And after some thought,
I have to say that I think it's true!



Just a number of songwriters who never fail to win me over with their lovey-dovey, I-miss-you-you-miss-me, emo-depresso, super-heartache, cut-me-and-leave-me-to-bleed songs. =p


And I find that what's true in celebrity world is true in my reality, too! I've only completed two songs in my 23+ years of living (pathetic, I know) and both songs were penned in just two nights – one song a night, probably 2 weeks apart. Yes, they were spur-of-the-moment tracks. =p


Oh well, what can I say? I was super emotionally drained and pretty much all tired out with the situation I was in at that point in time. So, while some people prefer to feign death by mock-slashing wrists in soapy bathtubs (*rolls eyes* to me, suicide's the attention-whorish Drama Queen's way out of anything that doesn't fly with them), I wreck travel guitars with salty tears and ceaseless strumming. Haha.


So, I guess there's some truth
in Scott the Stranger's words, eh?

"It all bores down to who can stay the saddest, longest."


Hmmm. Perhaps it does.


p/s: Keith Urban became a daddy on 7 July 2008 (Monday). His daughter's name is Sunday Rose Kidman Urban. Funny name for a Monday child. =p


----------------


Click here to visit Scott the Stranger's blog – Facts of Life 101.


He's damn random. And his posts are crazy sporadic. But he's got some pretty interesting ideas (read: good tips) on fooling your boss at the workplace so you might wanna check that out while you're in Facts of Life 101.


His wit and dry humour makes up for the lack of direction and post consistency so you shouldn't have much to worry about while trudging through foreign cyber territory. =p Shan't tell you too much about it here, though. I think I give this fella enough time in the spotlight on Tinki Talks di. Don't be lazy lah. Go check his blog out yourself. *click*

30 comments :

sheon said...

sad melancholic songs touch the most tender spots in you heart. it brings back emotions from your saddest moments.

one recent (relatively) song that used to mess up my emotion was "she will be loved-maroon5".

Pam Song said...

ATTN: sheon
– Oh, I know exactly what you mean. I get funny feelings in the pit of my tummy when I hear Michael Buble's Home. And Wake Me Up When September Ends by Green Day. And Januari by Glen Fredly. When I See You Smile by Bad English. Miss Invisible by Marie Digby.

I could go on and on.

And that's not exactly a good thing when you think about it. =(

sheon said...

home is a beautiful song.

its the sad memories that reminds us that we lived, and the happy ones that makes us wanna continue living.

Pam Song said...

ATTN: sheon
– Yeah it is! I even liked the Westlife version. Haha. It's not better. It's just... different. Haha.

"its the sad memories that reminds us that we lived, and the happy ones that makes us wanna continue living.

So true.

Unknown said...

u left out James Blunt n first-album-good Alanis Morrissette.
KT Tunstall was good too, Jamie Cullum.

But Morrissey is the king of depressed melancholic. But James Blunt is that blue print to be sad n great!

Westlife should be sent to the firing squad for always doing bad covers!

Jeffro said...

then James Blunt - You're beautiful..
BSB - I'll never break your heart..

These guys must be really sad (not getting their gals) that they came out wif these great songs.. O_O

Theoritically speaking, emo-ers are the best! No wonder so many are turning emo now.. ^_^

Jessica is a Verb said...

miss song,

speaking of song-writing, klsingsong 2008 is around the corner (that's the annual showdown for singer-songwriters)from friday through sunday.
go hear all them depress pouring their soul on stage.

should be fun.

p/s it's at klpac from 8.30pm-11pm
priced at rm25.

joshuaongys said...

its not exact when u say about songwriting..

gospel songs do amazed me and u are not sad when u compose such songs.. you're touched..

and i believe if gospel songs are promoted with a good way, the world would accept it well..

Nigel Sia said...

I want to hear that two songs of yours, can?

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Chris
– Ooo, yeah. Blunt's VERY emo. Haha. And I luuurrrvvve Alanis' songs! Nice-ness. Evergreen wan. Haha. KT closer to pop than the rest of them. And I didn't really enjoy Jamie Cullum. Prefer Jason Mraz. Haha.

Actually, I think I prefer lovey-dovey emo to kill-me-now emo. =p

And Westlife needs to bring in more personality to their work. I don't think they're bad singers. Just that everything's so... sweet... and bland... and boring.


ATTN: Jeffro
– Uncle, I don't think that BSB wrote I'll Never Break Your Heart. Haha. They're not THAT talented. =p


ATTN: a girl who could be a Jessica
– Nah, won't be going for this. My friends from KLPac told me about it also. I've got too many events I'm ditching of late already. Just don't have the time for it. Thanks for the notice though.

Pam Song said...

ATTN: joshuaongys
– I like sad gospel songs better actually. Haha. And the soul-searching ones are the best. =p

A number of gospel songs are out in the market ma. Contemporary Christian artists like Steven Curtis Chapman have their songs playing all over the place already. We're moving in the right direction. =)


ATTN: Nigelais
– Haha. Cannot. Nobody's heard them before.

joshuaongys said...

yeaps i would prefer gospel songs of all songs as well.. thre's something positive with them, even with the hymns/slow songs, you'll feel peaceful instead of sad.. roflmao

and yea we're moving in a right direction... we have christian singers in mainstream music as well le, on billboards and so on..

AA said...

depression is helpful when you write sad songs...

feelings of spirituality will help when you write praise songs...

angry people write angry songs...

music is an expression of self. What you are feeling will be translated into the music you write...

Pam Song said...

ATTN: joshuaongys
– Yeah. Cos no matter how sad the situation may be... there's always hope at the end of the tunnel to lean on. You're right. It brings peace in the turmoil.

I wish we had Christian radio stations here. Like the ones they have in Aus. I LOVE IT!


ATTN: Andrew Chua
– Ooo. I like driving to songs with a lot of angst. It's exciting. Haha. But if it's after a long day at work, I'll go super yellow mellow. Haha. Love songs, jazz, easy listening and the like. Helps me unwind.

AA said...

okay... good taste...

personally, i prefer driving to the sound of silence... 'boring' eh... ;-)

Dillon said...

regarding jeffro's comment on BSB writing their own songs...they don't.
So is Westlife and all the boy bands. They hire people to write songs for them, the same as Celine Dion or Mariah Carey and even Siti Nurhaliza.

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Andrew Chua
– Haha. Thank you thank you! =p

And I don't particularly like silence in the car. Need some music to pump up or wind down the mood. Haha. Depending on my destination, of course. =p


ATTN: Dillon
– Ya lor. They're singers. Not singer-songwriter types. Quite sad actually. To sing what other people pen and never sing something that reflects YOUR own thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Aiseh! Write songslor...can sing for us and post it here?!

Chewah...8 years of piano-ing...Grade 8 la liddat!*salute*
I stopped at Grade3 only...cos lack of interest....=P

Simon Seow said...

Blog recommendation? Cool. Jay Chou and Gary Chou also writes some good sad songs.

Jeffro said...

awhhh.. My bad.. I didn't do my research.. *me not really their fans, sorry* Hmm.. Then ppl like Wang Lee Hom? he must be damn sad.. sad kao kao wan.. pity the fella..

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Adrian Lim
– Haha. No way I'll post it here, man. Haha. No way.

And no lah. Grade 6. Two years intro years. The ones where you just learn Mary Had A Little Lamb. But I also no interest that's why I stopped.


ATTN: Simon Seow
– Haha. Emil Chow (or is it Chou?) also. But after he got married like... no more good stuff already. So maybe the theory is true. When you're sad and alone and looking for love, you write better.


ATTN: Jeffro
– Hahahahaha. Dunno lah. I'm not sure if WLH writes his own songs. Like not him liddat. Jay writes his own stuff. Together with his lyricist buddy Vincent.

Anonymous said...

Haha...Im not sure you kena this. But mine was to the extend my mum brought in the cane to force me to pratice when I was 12 years old....Eventually, they gave up! Hahaha....Tulah...I ask for drum but was turned down...^_^

Jeffro said...

LOL.. I've watched some of WLH's back-scenes,He does write songs.. In fact he and DavidTao write songs..

Poor DavidTao.. He is eff-ing sad weih.. His sadness reach out even before he was 12 years old.. *DavidTao, i so feel you man...*

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Adrian Lim
– Haha. My mom know that the more she push me, the less I want to do it. So she just left me to it. Problem was... although I practice, I only practiced once a week, for one hour, and only ONE song. HAHAHAHA. Super funny. =p


ATTN: Jeffro
– Issit?? Then not bad lah he. Not bad at all. I know DT writes. His songs aren't that bad. I like he slow ones best. Haha. The super emo wan.

And why is DT sad?

Jeffro said...

Yupz.. they both batu batu..

DT is great..
(O_O)-->*points at the title of post*

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Jeffro
– Haha. Whoopsie. =p

See, this is what happens when one comments in too many pages at one time. Sure blur wan. =p

Jeffro said...

LOL.. u referring to me? I havent gotten blur.. or at least i think so la..

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Jeffro
– Haha. No lah. I blur. Not you. =p

Jeffro said...

haha.. O_O <-- Pam's blur face..

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Jeffro
– Yours even worse. Like this... @_@

*grin*

Post a Comment

Talk to me!