Monday, June 28, 2010

AMA: What Camera Do You Use And Would You Recommend It Or Another Model?

QUESTION: hi Pam. This has nothing to do with the bog. I just want to know your recommendations for a digital camera. I am planning to go overseas next year and I want to get a camera to document my trip there. What camera do you use and would you recommend it or another model? Thanks! lydiascl

---------------------

I initially answered lydiascl comment *here* but since there may be others who could be wondering what I use, I decided to turn this into an AMA post. =)

---------------------

ANSWER: The pictures you see on my blog were taken with the Panasonic Lumix G1. It's easy to use and it takes good shots with DSLR quality. I'd totally recommend it for your holiday. =)


Having said that, because it's a DSLR (albeit a little slimmer than the normal ones because it's a Micro Four Thirds camera), it's still a HUGE hunk of a gadget for a girl to lug around in her handbag. If you don't mind slinging it over your shoulder or around your neck, it's the perfect camera for a holiday because you can bet on the quality of the pictures you'll be getting from it. (Reviews tell me it's even better than the Olympus PEN.)

But if you're like me and you like stuffing it into your bag, it's a big pain to whip in and out while on-the-go. Tougher still when you're on-the-go in a foreign land, rushing to catch a flight with your luggages, and are carrying a gazillion other fidgety things like... oh, I dunno, a map? Haha. So, that could be the biggest (no pun intended) downside to this camera.

It's a good camera for pretty pictures and offers you lots of detail with relatively low noise levels. One thing to note: I sometimes find the pictures a little underexposed for my liking. But since I'm pretty OK with Photoshop, I adjust the levels when the need arises. No biggie. It can be time consuming though. (Hence my consistently delayed posts. -_-)

And... *Bimbo Mode ON!* IT'S PERFECT FOR CAMWHORING! The LCD screen can be swivelled around – they call it the Tilt-Swivel, Articulating LCD Monitor – so you always know exactly how you look when you camwhore. This in turn results in the best of the best camwhore pictures you'll ever get. *Bimbo Mode OFF!*

Focusing is quick (except in the dark of night – like, pitch black – whereby it's totally hopeless) and shutter speed is commendable. Oh, and I like the shutter sound (totally makes me feel like a pro behind the lens! =p) though some may find it a little loud compared to some other models. Haha.

There are lots of settings and functions you can choose from – and they're pretty easy to access even while shooting because of their superb placement – but you'll do better reading reviews from the experts than hearing about them from me. (E.g. Panasonic Lumix G1 Review on dpreview.com)

But although this camera's good and has served me well on various occasions, I'm actually looking at getting a smaller, more compact one. You may end up reading about it if and when I finally decide on getting one and actually make a purchase. Haha. But if all remains quiet on the camera front... I probably decided to keep using the monster I've got. =p

My only worry is if I find myself having to just settle with pictures of lesser quality when I use a compact. You know, especially if I find myself faced with to-die-for scenery coupled with the opportunity for a really good shot... and all I have with me is a less than par camera. -_- That would really stink.

Plus, I won my G1 in a 5-selected-bloggers-only competition awhile back so it comes with a lot of sentimental value. (Hey, I went through lots of brain drain and too much body aching to win it!) Thus, making it a little hard to let go. =)

Let me know if you want to buy mine off me after you've thought about what you want. =p

Also, what do you – and the rest of you readers out there – think of the new Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX5? (Review 1. Review 2.)


Good buy? I'm looking for something that offers me good pictures (especially in low-light) without the bulk. And with this one, the panorama and underwater functions sound pretty fun. So, speak up, you photography enthusiasts! I'd love to hear what you have to say. Cos Audrey – who already owns one of these babies – tells me, "its the best camera ive ever owned actually." @_@ Wow.

Well, while lydiascl does her thinking,
it looks like I've got some thinking
of my own to do. Hmmm...


Got a question for me? Go ahead. Ask Me Anything.

8 comments :

ling said...

thanks for answering my question, Pam

will look into your recommendation..

very much appreciated..

Pam Song said...

ATTN: lydiascl
– No worries! =)

Jeffro said...

woah, how much did you read up?
But splendid explanation ;) It's a great thing that you won that camera! :)

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Jeffro
– Haha. Not much. A lot of it was from memory back when I read up after I just got the cam. =)

Jeffro said...

@PamSong:
wow you could actually still remember all that after some time? *applause* Hey that's great! I remember telling some gadgety stuffs to a few friends, a week later when I asked them, they forgot (=.=") So yeah, *cheers* to you!

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Jeffro
– I have selective memory wan. Haha. Plus, I use the camera ma. So it's easier remembering something you use every day. =)

Lissa said...

I want the TX5! T_T But so expensive. Le sigh.

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Lissa
– Tell me about it. I'd get it in a heartbeat for a fun, handy camera if I still got to keep my Lumix G1. But... I don't think I can. =(

Post a Comment

Talk to me!