Sunday, June 27, 2010

Hippo Creek African Grill At Hillarys Boat Harbour

Remember how I went to Sorrento and I said I wanted to go back again to enjoy some of that famous steak from Hippo Creek African Grill? Well, I did. Last Friday. And OMG, it was THE BEST STEAK I EVER HAD IN MY LIFE. (No, I'm not exaggerating.) It was really awe-mazing!




But wait. In no way shall this story begin with the main point up-front. Cos I'm long-winded that way. Let's begin with some sights of my drive there cos this time around, we got brilliant sunshine all the way! Wheee!


Driving along the coast.


After turning into Hillarys Boat Harbour.


Back at Sorrento Quay. No more touristy thing this time.


Walking past expensive boats to reach the restaurant.


The patch of water right next to the boat you see above.


Another one of the same patch.


Just cos I liked how clear the water was and how much greener it looked in pictures than it did in real life. It was less murky and a little bluer.


Anyhoo, enough about the scenery and the water and all that other unnecessary blah. The intro ends here. Back to the good stuff that is MEAT! PURE MEAT! ROAR!


The logo on the drinks menu looked a lot cooler
and more rugged
than the one on the food menu
so that's the picture you're getting.



I ordered the fillet beef steak something something with a side of mushroom sauce. *shifty eyes* Ok fine, I'm bad with food names lah. But you really can't go wrong with this if you just look out for anything beef in the menu that's sold fillet-style. If I'm not mistaken, it was the only one. Anyways, since steak here is SO good, just close eye and point at anything also will come out ok wan lah, I think.


But good stuff takes time.

So while waiting, I started taking pictures of
anything on the table that caught my eye.


Love the fact that salt here's not all the powder sisa only. =)


Lemon, lime and bitters – BEST DRINK ON THE PLANET.


And then after what seemed like forever, the food came! (Ok, it wasn't really THAT long – less than half an hour, I think – but I was hungry and the place smelt so good that I got even hungrier while waiting. -_-)


Me and my fillet!


The chips were sodium-free so I got to use the salt shakers. Yay, me! =D And I was pleasantly surprised that my steak didn't come drowned in sauce. I read once that the best way to know if steak's good is if it tastes as good with the sauce as it tastes without. And gosh, my fillet was a-m-a-z-i-n-g even without the also-very-amazing mushroom sauce that was rich and creamy (but not jelak-ing) and it even had yummy mushroom bits in it. Mm-mmm! Oh, and as you can see, they were really generous with the sauce, too!


First cut.


My steak wasn't at all bloody cos – don't crucify me upside down for doing this – I ordered my fillet Well Done. What?? Stop thinking I'm a freak. Is it wrong that I don't like to eat like a cannibal? What's wrong with being civilised?! Anyway, as you can see, they're so good with steaks here that Well Done still came pink. And oh my goodness, it was so, so very tender and juicy!


11 minutes later...


My very last bit of steak.


Those who've had the pleasure of having meals with me will know that I eat damn slowly (but not as slowly as Rebel – HAHA) cos I pick things out all the time. Fat, skin, tendons and such. So in my books, 11 minutes for a slab of beef is super! (Ask Tim Tams and The Senior Writer. They'll tell you how terribly picky I can be with my beef. =p)


All done in just 11 minutes. I even wiped out the sauce. =p


Now, let's talk money.


It's an amazing place for steak (like I said, it was the BEST steak I had EVER eaten) but it's not very affordable if you're Ringgit-ing your way through Australia. My 220gm steak cost $39 AUD. So with the current exchange, that comes up to about...




*faints*

I'm so grateful my meal was fully covered.

Or I'd be washing dishes in China Town
for the rest of my time here. -_-'''


I took a picture of the tipping dish on my way out
cos there was a cute hippo on it.


The sun was still high in the sky when we left so I'd say that lunch was perfect right down to the last unpredictable detail – the weather. =)


A stuffed girl is a happy girl.


-----------


If you're even in Western Australia, you just have to, have to, HAVE TO pay Hippo Creek a visit. If Sorrento's too far for you, you can also try their other outlet at Scarborough Beach. If both are far, believe me, the steak's worth the drive. =)



Click on image to jump to site.

5 comments :

lee ying chong said...

hi,

how come i was never brought there
ah??

Pam Song said...

ATTN: lee ying
– Haha. It was just discovered! And there was already talk of bringing you guys there next time. =D

Lissa said...

Will keep that in mind! :D

RealGunners said...

i am civilized too, i always had my steak well done...

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Lissa
– I don't know if they have other outlets in Melbourne (doubt it) but if they do, YOU MUST GO!


ATTN: RealGunners
– Ahhh... You and me, we have taste, my friend. *CLAP CLAP*

Post a Comment

Talk to me!