Friday, January 04, 2008

So Close

Artist: Jon McLaughlin
Song Title: So Close

You’re in my arms and all the world is calm
The music playing on for only two
So close together and when I’m with you
So close to feeling alive

A life goes by, romantic dreams will stop
So I bid mine goodbye and never knew
So close was waiting, waiting here with you
And now forever I know all that I wanted
To hold you so close

So close to reaching that famous happy end
Almost believing this was not pretend
And now you’re beside me and look how far we’ve come
So far we are so close

How could I face the faceless days if I should lose you now?

We’re so close to reaching that famous happy end
Almost believing this was not pretend
Let’s go on dreaming for we know we are
So close, so close and still so far

I've had the soundtrack for ages now (even before the launch of the movie in Malaysia) but somehow, this song never really stood out for me. I guess it kinda got lost among the cheerier, more hyped-up, bimbotic, typical-Disney-styled Enchanted tunes.


Sigh.

Think I've made up for that by now, though.

It's already been on repeat all day long
but I'm still far from being tired of it.

=)

I'm totally enchanted by this song.
(Pun intended.)


"You’re in my arms and all the world is calm
The music playing on for only two
So close together and when I’m with you
So close to feeling alive"


I can just imagine what it's like. To be in a room full of people but, in each other's arms, it's like the whole world just fades away and there are only the two of you standing there. Right there. Alone together. And what's odd is that you suddenly realise that it only happens when you stare into those gorgeous eyes that always seem to find themselves staring right back at you – reflecting everything you feel and every thought that makes its way across your already-intoxicated mind.


And when your hands get wet, your knees go soft, and your legs turn to jelly... that's when you know that you're never more alive during the Now than you've ever been before. It's when you know you're one step away from melting and turning into goo in your significant other's warm embrace... but you're so charged up inside that you wonder if you've already left the ground and are on your way to join the moon and the stars in the clear night sky.


"So close to reaching that famous happy end
Almost believing this was not pretend
And now you’re beside me and look how far we’ve come
So far we are so close"


As jaded as I am when it comes to love, I am one who believes in happy endings. At least I'd like to believe they're there for us to reach out to anyways. It's hard sometimes. Cos the world just keeps telling us that happy endings don't exist. That they only appear in fairytale stories of princes and princesses. But I have seen happy endings come to pass. And I have seen happy marriages. And I have seen my fair share of happily-ever-afters. So why can't I have that, too? I just have to want it badly enough. And I do.


"We’re so close to reaching that famous happy end
Almost believing this was not pretend
Let’s go on dreaming for we know we are
So close, so close and still so far"


Love the twist at the end but... I have to say, I hate it just as much, if not more. It's two people sharing perfect love thats only 'imperfection' is its forbidden nature. That's painful. It sucks to be in love but be unable to be with the one you love. It does. I know it does. You know it does.


Go watch Enchanted if you haven't yet. It's not as depressing as this post makes it sound. Haha. I'm sorry if I killed it for you. But if you're anything like me – anyone girl who grew up on a healthy dose of Disney cartoons, I'm sure you'll come out all giddy-headed, googly-eyed and giggly. I did.





Ahh haaa haaa haaa haaaaaa... =)


-----------


I wish you happy endings, enough to last
your whole life through. I wish that for you.

3 comments :

Charlie said...

hey, so close. i like it. how do you find so much time to write so many posting? its only the 4th and you got a bunch of posts already

Anonymous said...

so close yet so far...common phrase that we heard. If so far yet so close...I wonder if that even exist?!...yah..yah I think DIGI...connecting you always...=P

Pam Song said...

ATTN: charlie
– Haha. I make time for it. =p

And yes. The song is beautiful, no? =)


ATTN: adrian
– Exactly. And I believe that 'so far yet so close' CAN exist. Long distance relationships are like that, right? As are friends who are far apart physically but close at heart.

Post a Comment

Talk to me!