Monday, January 07, 2008

Defeatist Attitudes

Today, I met somebody who made me
realise that I wasn't born a Defeatist.

Defeatist |di'fētist|
1. (noun) a person who expects or is excessively ready to accept failure.
2. (adjective) demonstrating expectation or acceptance of failure.


I say it's all in the head cos that's where the game is really played. You see, if you claim that you've already lost the battle in your mind, you HAVE lost it. You basically just handed the war over to the enemy by striding onto the battlefield without ammo or armour.


Now, how'd I get to this?

Oh, yes. I met a guy.


It all began with me rushing to TESCO in hopes of making it in time to do some superbly last minute grocery shopping. Problem was, I so didn't know what time TESCO closed. (I'm a Carrefour person.) 10pm? 11? Somebody I asked before I headed thataway even suggested that they close at midnight nowdays. Hmmm. So much uncertainty. Not sure. So how? Well, when you're not sure and you've got nothing to lose, what do you do?


FIRE ONLY LAH!

Reach there then only see how.


So that's what I did. I fired. Made it there by 10:46pm... and was greeted by an almost-empty parking lot. Uh oh. But never mind. Take ticket first, drive in, park, then only see how. Thank goodness when I arrived at the Ground Floor Entrance, there were folks walking out with heavy-laden trolleys. That's good news. It means that people are still coming out. When people are still coming out, it means that there are still people inside. Should I park and go down? Well, when unsure, what do you do?


FIRE ONLY LAH!

Go down then only see how.


So I went down and raced into TESCO. I put on my determined face. The kind that showed it was determined to get my towel. (Oh, did I forget to tell you? I needed a towel.) Problem: I have never shopped at TESCO (fine, call me sua-ku lah) before and I didn't know how to get to the floor that sells groceries. Decided not to waste time running around so I walked straight up to a guard standing by the escalator, put on a smile... and, unfortunately, the following conversation ensued: -


Pam Song: Hi! Excuse me, can you tell me how to get up to TESCO?

Mister: Why?

Pam Song: *blink blink* Uh, why? Uh, cos I need to get stuff from TESCO.

Mister: *matter-of-fact-ly* TESCO close at 11.

Pam Song: Yeah, I know. (Actually, I didn't but he didn't have to know that. *snicker*) But it's only 10:50!

Mister: Ya, but close at 11.

Pam Song: *getting irritated* I. Know. It's. Not. 11. Yet. Plus, all I need to get is a towel.

Mister: Ya, but almost 11 already what can you get?

Pam Song: *frowns* It's just a towel. How hard can it be to get that?!

Mister: What can you get, just 5 minute?

Pam Song: *exhales* It doesn't matter what I can or cannot get. I just need to know how to get upstairs. Just tell me how to get upstairs.

Mister: But what can you get?


At this point, I kinda realised that the conversation was going nowhere so I didn't even bother with a 'goodbye' (he didn't deserve it anyways) and turned to grab any of the other customers who were on their way out to ask for directions. Found a kind Samaritan (see, some Malaysians are nice!) and got into TESCO's shopping area.


Rushed over to the section that sold towels after asking a store helper, had time to pick and choose a pretty but affordable towel, and then made my way to a cashier with an open counter. Waited in line for a sec (see, there was a line still!!!) and then decided that I might as well run over to the Personal Care section to grab some body wash, too. Might as well, right? Right?!


I'm glad I did. Now, I've got my pretty but affordable towel as planned, AND I managed to even get my much-needed body wash. (I ran out sometime last week and have been using cheapo hotel body washes, which I snitched during my travels years ago, for the time being. Heh.) Hah! And all that cos I FIRE ONLY! If I had had a Defeatist Attitude (like the one Mister had), I would have walked home empty-handed instead.


The whole episode got me thinking:

No wonder some people end up being satisfied with making
a career out of watching people park cars and shopping at
low-priced hypermarkets all day long.

It's that Defeatist Attitude.


It's sad how people don't give themselves a chance to try something they're uncertain about or even give anything strange a go. There's always a chance they could have made it. But could-haves don't bring you a better life, more money or even a happier home. You've got to kill that pessimist within, go out and get whatever you want to get.


Even if it means having to FIRE ONLY sometimes.

6 comments :

Linora 'Aronil' Low said...

haha u blogged this in the car???? why laaa lol

Pam Song said...

Car? What car? WHAT CAR!?! WWHHHAAATTTT CCCAAARRRRRR?!

*blink blink*

Sorry. I can't believe that it's only Tuesday. -_-

Linora 'Aronil' Low said...

hahaah yeah i know... feels like somewhere mid week now

Pam Song said...

Sucks to be us right now.

Anonymous said...

U dun plan your groceries ahead wan? No schedule for weekly or monthly groceries?....if you have that, you dont have to rush like mad lol..

Pam Song said...

Well, this wasn't my typical grocery shopping. I needed a towel and body wash. And anyways, I planned to get it over the weekend but ended up not having time to do it. Haha. No time, no time.

Post a Comment

Talk to me!