Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Cicerello's, Fremantle

I finally had my Fremantle Fish & Chips.
By fluke. -_- (I'll tell that other story another day.)
But the bottom line is that I had my Freo Fish & Chips.


After work last Friday, The Fiancé took me on a drive to Fremantle to check out some beer place he's been meaning to bring me to. Apparently the ambience is great so it's still worth the visit even if we both don't drink. Haha. But shit happened and we ended up not getting entry to the place – tell you why in another post – so we opted for the next best thing in Freo: Fish & Chips.


It looked like there were two or three big Fish & Chips players in the area. One was Kailis' Fish Market Cafe (does anybody know if this is a branch of Kailis Bros. Fish Markets and Fish Cafe, Leederville??), another was Cicerello's, and a third, I can't remember. Haha. But it doesn't matter cos I got sold by the advertising and went with Cicerello's cos it had a billboard outside that read:


"WA's No.1 Fish and Chips."


As you can see, that No.1 message is also on the receipt.


Well, unless WA's No.1 means "the first to open shop" and not "the best", they're lie-free. Otherwise, no matter what anybody says, those people have got their pants on fire. The Fish & Chips were terrible! Even the ones The Fiancé and I had at this tiny take-away shop next to Broadway's Domino's Pizza was much, much, MUCH better. (Best I've had in Perth, actually. Go try!)




That was how Cicerello's Fish & Chips – with double fish, single chips order – arrived. (Minus the sauces, of course.) They didn't even bother separating the pack into two, instead, they just lumped it all together in a royal mess of battered fish and thick chips. Food Presentation: -1 point.


Then there was a section of the shop that smelt really, really bad. Like rotting fish kinda bad. No kidding. As soon as we entered that "area", The Fiancé and I immediately back-tracked to another less smelly part of the shop. That was not appetising at all. Shop Ambience & Cleanliness: -2 points.


But aesthetics aside, Cicerello's didn't win on the taste front either. In fact, we were pretty disappointed with what we had to put down our throats. The fish had a smell and the fries were rock-hard and tasteless. Like oily cardboard. So... Fish & Chips: -1,320,203 points.


Sigh.

The only good part of the meal
was our shared bottle of Ginger Beer.




I was really surprised with this one. The Fiancé told me I'd like it but to be honest with you, although I said OK to his choice of drink, I was sceptical. Haha. Dun call me sua ku lah but I've never had Ginger Beer in my life. I don't eat ginger and I don't like anything that even smells remotely ginger-ish so I just never picked it up. But this was awesome. I loved it! Haha. So, it's Ginger Beer ftw! =)


But I don't have to go back to Cicerello's for Ginger Beer. I can have it anywhere else. So, I think it's safe to say that I won't be paying "WA's No.1 Fish and Chips" anymore visits. And in case you need to know what it looks like on the outside so you can avoid it too, here's a picture.




Haih. You see that? Closed umbrellas and empty tables. Should have taken a clue from that and gone elsewhere for my Fremantle Fish & Chips fix. -_-


------------------------------------
Cicerello's (Fremantle Outlet)
------------------------------------
Fisherman's Wharf
44 Mews Road
Fremantle 6160
T: (08) 9335 1911
F: (08) 9335 1455
Email: info@cicerellos.com.au

Opening Hours: 10:00am to 9:00pm, 7 days a week

7 comments :

RealGunners said...

Yala, No 1 means the first to open, the oldest, not the best...

By the way, the most happening place in San Francisco is called Fisherman's Wharf also :D

Pam Song said...

ATTN: RealGunners
– Hahaha. What a way to put it. Conmen! And yeah! My parents have been to Fisherman's Wharf. It's their favourite place in San Fran. =)

neena said...

Bundaberg's Ginger Beer!! Love 'em. My dad use to buy them in packs! Here at our supermarket in Bintulu, Sarawak. Pretty cool, eh?

Pam Song said...

ATTN: neena
– It's awesome, no??? I loved it! Didn't expect to but I did! I don't know if it's selling in West Malaysia but I'll keep my fingers crossed for it. Will check it out when I get back to Malaysia. =)

neena said...

It sure is! Simply irresistable when chilled, i must say. ;p

Lissa said...

Mebbe 'WA's No. 1' actually means 'WAS No. 1'. HAHAHA. :P

Pam Song said...

ATTN: neena
– I didn't wait for it to get warm so I'll have to take your word on that one cos it WAS great chilled! =p


ATTN: Lissa
- HAHAHA. That's kinda sad no? I'd rather be best than first. =p

Post a Comment

Talk to me!