Friday, August 15, 2008

Traveling – The Sport Of The Wealthy

I love traveling. I love the excitement that comes before it. I love the thrill that goes with it. And I love the satisfaction that comes after it.


I. Just. Love. Traveling. Period.


I love neatly arranging my entire wardrobe into a 1' x 2' suitcase. (I don't travel much but I must say, I pack like a seasoned professional. *beams*) I love getting my passport stamped. (The more stamps, the merrier.) I love being in airports. (I guess that's why I'm not really bothered by long transit times.) I love plane rides. (Take-off and landing are the best parts.) And I love seeing the rest of the world. (An eye-opener each and every time.)


You know, I always envied those who were blessed with healthy financial situations. (Family or personal, it doesn't really matter in this context.) Not because I think that being rich is 'all that'. It's just that having that little extra to spend each month eventually makes it possible for them to travel to far off lands every once in awhile. Those who are fortunate enough to be able to see the world (without having to starve when they were actually on the other side of the world). And I think it's a privilege. One I always wish I had. (Though I never really talk, murmur or complain about it. Don't really know why I don't speak of it, actually. Perhaps it's cos it makes me feel a little envious. And I'm not a big fan of that feeling.)


Sigh. I dream of seeing the world, too. I dream of filling my lungs with chilly air in Switzerland. (No matter how painful that may turn out to be.) I dream of stepping foot on the sandy beaches of Boracay and Gold Coast. I dream of picking ferns and skipping alongside babbling brooks in New Zealand. I dream of seeing my reflection stare back at me from the windows of stores that line the streets of Paris. I dream of lifting my hand and shielding my eyes from the bright lights of Las Vegas. I dream of shopping in Guang Zhou, London, Milan and Tokyo. I dream of seeing the Vatican City. I dream of paying The Louvre a visit. I dream of catching Broadway musicals in Manhattan. I dream of going to the ballet in America... and more!


But I can't. At least not right now.
Not with what I'm earning. And that's that.


The ability to travel is having power in a ticket. The whole deal about traveling is that it has the capacity to bring emotionally distant people together. At the same time, it has the ability to pull emotionally connected people apart, too. But that's pretty much the way it is with everything, eh? They all come fully equipped with Pros and Cons Version 2.0. And with no pro or con really outweighing the other as jarringly as we hope they did. Nothing's black and white. Nothing is sure. And nothing is ever as clear as we hope it'd be.


But of this I'm certain:

I love traveling. And I really wish I
could do it on a slightly more regular basis.


MY TRAVEL-PLAN RESOLUTION: To save up enough money for annual trips abroad. Minimum requirement – 1 new place to visit every year. With Air Asia, now everyone can fly, right? (But be wary. They also damn makan duit wan. You all dunno only. But, that's another story for another day.)

10 comments :

zecount said...

well u can always consider being an air stewardess ... then can to fly loh ...until sien also can hehehe (oh i'm soooo waiting for a but )

Pam Song said...

ATTN: zecount
– Yeah, I could do that. I know I make the height cut. =)

sheon said...

shopping in guanzhou??....ok. thanks for the info as i will going there in january. hahahahahaha.....

ok...since you're at it. i am planning for a light & easy trip to Halong Bay, vietnam mid next year. heard its a MUST MUST visit place...
(if you want more info..goto nicolekiss's post under "vietnam".)

ps: MAS is offering ridiculously cheap airfares too nowadays! i bought my return tix to HK for RM632 (all in) only!!!!!

sheon said...

yeah...my favorite part of flying is the take-off and landing. hhahaha... adrenaline junky that i am, i love the feeling of speeeeed when the thruster kicks in to propel off the runway.... and also my favorite seats on the plane is just behind the wings...so i can see the wonders and engineering working its way to descend and land the plane....

Willett said...

Are you trying to tell me something here pam.... I'm still waiting for your reply...haha

choco said...

I love traveling too! If only I had enough money, haha. Being in an aeroplane makes me feel unusually serene, even when there are annoying people on board. I think its the whole 'flying' thing. :P

Unknown said...

think u forgot about the cherry blossoms in Japan.

oso Emirates were conducting recruitment for cabin crews over here last week, so i guess they juz left Malaysia or goin there soon. Wat ya waiting for? Apply now!

Pam Song said...

ATTN: sheon
– Haha. I don't think it's stuff you'd wanna shop for. =p Girl stuff mainly. Haha.

And wow. You, my friend, has a LOT of travel plans! I wish I were that fortunate. Haha. Someday. Someday.

And I'm a closet adrenaline junkie, too. Haha. I usually plan it, then avoid it, but when I'm on or in it, I love every thrill. Haha.

And I love the seat right next to the wing, too. I always ask for it. Haha. Aisle seats suck. =p


ATTN: Willett
– Not that I know of. =p


ATTN: choco
– Hmmm. I don't feel serene. But... I feel somewhere between excited and lame for being excited over something to trivial to many other people. Haha. Pathetic, I know. I think I need to start flying more. =p


ATTN: Chris
– OH YES YES YES!!! I'd totally love seeing cherry blossoms by the gazillions on treetops and on the ground. Sigh. Must be a beautiful sight. Have you seen them in the flesh?

But Japan is so ex lah. Sigh. I can't afford it right now. Maybe someday.

And a lot of airlines were conducting recruitment last weekend lah. Even SIA. Haha.

Unknown said...

Lovely innit, cherry merry blossoms.

erm never been to Japan, but ahh, there's this Nippon Maru (da Japanese ambassadorial cruise ship that travels all over ASEAN countries n fetches da govt nominated participants n then go off to Japan, whole thing takes 52days, begins in October) but couldnt apply coz of this study engagement.

*nod nod*, yes, Japan is obscenely ex! Gotta go someday meself too, haha, no cash inflow this year la.

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Chris
– Wah, you wanted to join that Nippon Maru thingy? Why didn't you??? It would have been awesome, I think. Just ditch the study engagement lah! (You didn't hear me say that.)

I shall go there one day.

Post a Comment

Talk to me!