Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Bedtime Story Gone Wrong

Just finished what I'm paid to do about a quarter shy of an hour ago, and decided to do what I want to do before heading off to bed.


I'm tired. Very much so. But I do what I want to do in spite of the hour because this way, it starts feeling like my day actually amounted to something more than just being a slave to ruthless clients and lousy JRs. At least at the end of the day, I'm doing something for myself... and not for the rest of the folks who usually call the shots.


So in order to pull a last minute turn around on my day that's been plagued with Benzie-less-ness, I decided to do what I knew Benzie would never do: watch Grey's Anatomy.


Bad choice on my part. So emo-fying!


And of all the episodes I had on my external that I could have clicked on (I've watched 'em all so it really didn't matter to me which episode I chose), it was just my luck to have ended up clicking on this particular one – Season 3, Episode 20: Time After Time. Upon reaching one part in the episode that showed McDreamy and Bailey having a heart-to-heart in the clinic, I realised that I'd blogged about a conversation in this episode before! And it was in a post I wrote in early February this year, entitled "Work? Or Love?" The dialogue...


McDreamy: You warned me she would become a problem.

Bailey: Who? Meredith?

McDreamy: When you love somebody, you think you can handle it all.

Bailey: You've done alright. Both of you.

McDreamy: I came out here to be Chief... and Meredith complicates that.

Bailey: Heh. Well, if this turns into an either-or, you pick the person you love. End of story. Look, all of this means nothing... if you're alone.


It's the exact same words as it was before but it's funny
how this conversation between McDreamy and
Bailey somehow reads differently to me now.


I concluded with this thought the last time I posted: "On a more serious note, I think whoever wrote that part of the script got it right. Your career? Or a happily-ever-after? When one comes in the way of the other, how do you choose?


Well, if you've gotta chose between having the one you love or having a position you want at the workplace, choose the former. Always choose the former. I would. Everything else does mean nothing if, after achieving everything you want do achieve and doing everything you want to do, all you're going home to is an empty house and a bag of cold, soggy, take-away dinner."


Today, I guess my perspective has changed somewhat. Today, I'm willing to say that for men and women, it's different. That the choice between Love and Career is a lot more difficult for men to make than it is for women. Somehow, the picture just seems a lot less black and white to them than it looks in our female eyes. And that grey area? Well, it complicates things. Much in the same way women end up complicating the lives and career paths of their men who long to achieve their dreams of becoming big somebodies at the workplace.


Male and female, we're different. We were made to be different from one another. Even from the start. And perhaps what we should do is celebrate that difference. Even if it kills us sometimes.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Talk to me!