Monday, June 18, 2007

Time For The Next Service

Some friends come and go.
Pain and heartache hits, then leaves.
In due time, all is forgotten.

But some friendships don't do that.


Sure, the frequency of meet-ups may dwindle as time passes. Time spent sharing thoughts, hopes, wishes, dreams, regrets and pains may diminish greatly. Calls exchanged almost but vanish. But the depth and intimacy remains... though, sadly, hidden under false pretenses.


What pretenses?


The pretense of not caring anymore. The pretense of not being interested in the other and the other's person's life altogether. The pretense of not wanting to bother. The pretense of not having any measure of concern. Just a step away from total disregard, really. So much so that it becomes shameful to look the other in the eye.


But it isn't true.

Why?

Because it's all pretense.

But why is it so difficult to live beyond
the parameters of that said pretense?


It's difficult only because it demands that you be vulnerable. It leaves you bare to the storms that may (or may not) hit the shores of your friendship. It strips you bare of your shields. It pulls you out from the shadows and leaves you standing on the outside of the walls you've worked so hard at putting up. It forces you to face the cold, hard truth – that you cannot go it alone no matter how strong you pretend to be and that you are, in fact, dependent on the love and support of another.


Alone, you are weak. Nobody goes into battle alone. And let's face it... Every day is a battle. Is it not? Tell me it isn't and I'll point you out a liar or a poor soul in denial.


I don't want to fight alone.
I won't make it out alive.
I will fall. I will fail.


But friendship takes effort. It requires maintenance. It carries with it certain demands – demands that are not to be taken for granted. It doesn't come easy. Or rather, it comes rather easily but doesn't remain unchanging as easily. After all, the only thing constant is change, right? If I am to even attempt to oppose the very nature of things, I need to put in some effort. And deviating change requires effort – effort to nurture and upkeep whatever that has already been put in my possession.


I know what I must do.


I will put in effort. I will work at the friendships that matter to me – and believe you me, they matter greatly. I will labour and I know it will not be in vain. I will invest without fear of loss.


Sigh.

The very thought scares me.

But I will. It is time and I will, I will.

7 comments :

Unknown said...

Pam, there are friends you dine with. There are those that you go to movies with, share music you love with, go window shopping with and even have insanely large amounts of caffein with.

There are those you spend quiet evenings doing nothing but laugh at passer-by with.

There are also those you share your tears and joy with. Your hopes and dreams. Your ambitions, your goals.

There are those you inspire and those you draw your inspiration from.

There are those you wish were around you when others are not. Those you wish did not leave when they had to. Those you wish you had just another minute with.

There are those that pluck your thoughts out of your mind before they come out of your mouth. Those that plant thoughts in your mind you never would have imagined.

There are those you dont have to live in pretense with.

There are those you look in the eye and smile and thank God for their mere existense in your life.

There are those you grow old with.

You dont have to fight alone.

You will make it out alive.

Anonymous said...

It is inevitable that friends do come and go....but the memories shared remain as they were.....=)

Nevertherless...we are not alone at all! Jesus is there for us at all times. The battle is not mine alone but the Lord! Hee Hah....=)

Anonymous said...

so how many brownie points do i get?? eh never see u online pun lately ? busy kaukau still?

Pam Song said...

ATTN: kenny
– You said it. I will make it out alive... and not alone.


ATTN: adrian
– Inevitable as it may seem, there are just some friends you're not contented to have memories with. You want a living and constant friendship. Not just memories of times past.


ATTN: zecount
– Haha. Brownie points for what oh? Nobody collecting or counting points here also. Haha.

Ya lor. Been busy... And sick. And then busy. HAHA. No time to beronline chatting chatting lah.

Anonymous said...

Hehe...no doubt any souls will desires for constant living and friendship...but think of it....do we deliver the same thing as others expect from us....sometimes we dont..Do we?

Anonymous said...

Hey babe,

If there is one thing that will be constant in your life that I can give you....it will be ME...I am here for you, for life, journeying with you through all the weathers of life.


Love,
Nisha

Pam Song said...

ATTN: adrian
– I don't see how it's impossible if both parties work at keeping the friendship fresh.


ATTN: Nisha
– Awww. Ditto, babe.

Post a Comment

Talk to me!