Thursday, June 16, 2011

January 2003 Vs. June 2010

Was clearing my room today when I stumbled upon a ring that flooded my mind with a million and one happy memories of days gone by. It was the first ring The Fiancé ever bought me! (All in all, throughout our many years of dating up till marriage, The Fiancé has bought me four rings.) A simple count in my head told me that it has been 8.5 years since the day he slipped that ring onto my finger. I can't believe it's been so long! How time flies.


The first ring he bought me was one that really took me by surprise. We had been dating for just a year at the time and just a few days before our first anniversary, he dragged me to a jewellery store and told me to choose a ring from the store's white gold and diamond collection. @_@


Trust me when I said that that gesture was a big shocker for 18-year-old me. What more, the rings he had me looking at were all white gold rings with tiny diamonds on top! Something totally unheard of at a time when lame mood rings and simple sterling silver bands ruled the high school-meets-college dating scene. Haha. Shocked, surprised, thrilled, happy and in a daze, I picked this one:


The first ring with a tiny stone on top.
Purchased on January 2003.


The second ring he bought me was purchased in January 2005. It was a simple white gold band with cuts and engravings all around to reflect light and make it appear like a full eternity ring minus the diamonds. Oddly, that ring didn't mean as much to me as the first one did.


Not because of its lack of a diamond or anything. (Of course not.) But it just didn't feel "right" when he gave it to me. We were going through a rough patch in our relationship and it really felt like the ring was just his way of convincing me he was serious about our relationship. So.... yeah. :-/ No picture cos... urm... I can't find that ring. @_@


The third ring he bought me is the one that most people have seen – my engagement ring. I didn't know it at the time but I later found out that he actually bought the ring a good 6 months before he popped the question! And I had no idea whatsoever! Very sneaky. =p


 The third ring with a more generous stone on top.
Purchased on January 2010 but given to me on June 2010.


And the fourth ring he bought me was his most recent ring purchase for me – my wedding band. No pictures and no comments on this one cos... cummon... how can tell you all before the wedding, right? Hahaha. I'm keeping mum about it. You'll see pictures of it soon enough. =)


Anyway, as I was taking pictures of the rings earlier tonight,
I put them side by side and started smiling to myself. =p


Side by side for comparison.


First ring (January 2003) vs. third ring (June 2010).
What a difference 7.5 years makes. =p


I remembered how I used to think that his first ring to me was the most beautiful ring of all rings. And how proud I was to be wearing his expression of love for me on my right fourth finger, every day of my college life. Ahhh, those were the days.


Having said that, I must admit that I still think fondly of this first ring with its tiny stone. Because of what was said when it was given to me and because of the happy memories we accumulated during that time in our relationship. Young lovers in love, with so much innocence and hope for the future. And now? We're getting married! Imagine that! =)

7 comments :

Lissa said...

Awww!

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Lissa
- Time flies, my friend! It really does. :)

Lissa said...

Tell me about it! o.o In the blink of an eye, so many years have passed.

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Lissa
– Yup! You'll say the same when it's your turn! =D

Lissa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lissa said...

I am already saying it. :|

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Lissa
– Haha. Good that you're prepared. =p

Post a Comment

Talk to me!