Thursday, February 24, 2011

How Planning A Wedding Is Like Cooking A Meal

They say too many cooks spoil the broth. Well, what they missed out was: (1) too many recipes confuse the cook, and... (2) a single cook can't possibly feed a whole banquet hall of people on her own either! She needs help!


.
.
.
.
.
.


In recent days, I've had my bridesmaids and friends throw me a good number of random thoughts, ideas and suggestions for what can be done for the wedding. Unfortunately, a good majority of their suggestions also come with little or no head or tail or follow up. Everybody has a say about what they want or what they think is nice, but nobody's willing to roll up their sleeves to do anything to get things done. Heck, everybody wants to eat their fill but nobody's willing to get their hands dirty in the kitchen! All I keep getting are airy-fairy suggestions, and then, it all suddenly becomes my problem to – in the words of my ex-Small Boss – "make. it. work." It's like a hundred million people throwing me half-arsed recipes and expecting me to somehow whip something up in the kitchen that they'll all enjoy, and somehow manage to pull the whole shebang off on my own!


*Zen breath*

If you couldn't already tell from that extra long,
no-breath-in-between paragraph... that, my friend,
just sucks. It sucks big time. And it's tiring as hell, too.

*sigh*


I know I'm ranting and it does sounds like I'm being totally ungrateful toward the people around me. But do understand and bear in mind that I'm not only referring to suggestions offered by others with our benefits in mind. Like with regards to our ballroom decor. Or my wedding gown. Or our wedding cake.


No, I'm talking about suggestions that are – to some extent – selfishly suggested only for the sakes of those who brought it up. So they're more comfortable, so they look better, so they're less tired out, so there's less sacrifice on their parts. Suggestions, all for them. But still, it's me who's doing the running around.


I don't get it. Is this how
it always works with weddings?


I mean, when I was asked to be a bridesmaid last year, I helped my bride write her Save The Date and wedding card. I visited the florist with her. I helped her pick out a gown at the bridal house. And offered her my comments on things when I was asked. Most of all, I at least had the courtesy to be okay with whatever the bride wanted me to wear, no matter how much it would make me look like pink bubble gum on a cotton candy high.


Is it too much of me to expect the same
of my bridesmaids and friends?


And if by some cruel twist of fate, the roles just have to be reversed and it becomes totally impossible for me to get any help from my assigned helpers (how ironic... -_-'''), I'd expect a little gratefulness or at least a simple pat on the back for all the running around I'm doing on behalf of those people who were, in fact, brought on board to ease my burden, and not add to the load I'm already carrying.

13 comments :

Anonymous said...

Ya you're right we should be more helpful :( Sorry. Want me to ask around for bands who play at weddings?

Pam Song said...

ATTN: lauderlyn
– Haha. Hey babe. No lah, no worries. Already found some bands to go listen to actually. Got their quotation also already. (Mom helped big time.) We just have to find time to actually visit them when they're playing at the relevant hotels and restaurants so we know how they sound like and who to pick in the end. =)

Lissa said...

*hugs* If only I could help out. >.<

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Lissa
– You already did. I shall Zen out with NCIS. =p

Lissa said...

Awww... <3

RealGunners said...

good luck ^^

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Lissa
– Haha. True story. =)


ATTN: RealGunners
– Thanks! =)

Lissa said...

Hope you find it enjoyable. ^.^

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Lissa
– I haven't started! Am trying to finish up GG and VD before I go full-on with NCIS. Haha.

Jeffro said...

You do know what that means right? Because you're mostly efficient in what you do, people would think you can handle it all.. Btw if did not notice, that's a compliment :) I guess it would be better if they'd realize that you're in a tough spot? Perhaps have a talk with the ladies?

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Jeffro
– HAHA. Really? Liar. =p

Aiyo, but it's tough talking about this kinda things. And it's not that it's SO impossible to manage. It's more like I feel – what's the point of asking ppl to be a part of the bridal party when in the end, you have more ppl to worry about and do things for only. You know?

-yong may- said...

Hear, hear! I can TOTALLY understand how you feel. We brides-to-be are riding on the same boat. =D We should form a brides-to-be counseling group! Haha!

Pam Song said...

ATTN: -yong may-
– Totally! We need each other right now. For emotional support! Hahaha. Beh tahan man...

Post a Comment

Talk to me!