Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Kuala Lumpur, May '11: Buffet Dinner At Serena Brasserie, InterContinental Hotel KL

Our 2-night stay at InterContinental Hotel KL also came with free buffet dinner for 2 at Serena Brasserie. A posh café downstairs that is said to serve a variety of international and local favourites to meet every taste. Seeing that there were 3 of us and only 2 free dinners, we decided to pay for the extra plus one. A ridiculous RM100 or so for just one person. @_@ Eating here is definitely only for the wealthy. Having said that, thank goodness the other 2 ate for free. Phew! -_-'''


The place was quiet and it definitely appeared as high-profile as its price. So that was very pleasing for us. (Must always get what you pay for or more. =p) No screaming kids, no noisy teenagers, and no drunken yuppies to ruin the classy atmosphere. Just a handful of business folk and another quiet, well-behaved family apart from ourselves. *sly self-praise*


Almost empty dining area.


Gorgeous feature wall I couldn't stop taking pictures of. 


I know they look like ants on a wall here but I promise you,
those black dots you see are actually dainty little flowers!


Closer so you can see the protruding metal flowers on the wall.


Up close with the feature wall I loved so much.
I think those are orchids, by the way.


Clean, comfortable seats.


Ahh, but wait a minute. Why talk about the interior, the decor and the crowd of a restaurant? Because, what's a buffet if you don't talk about the food, right? So here it is. What I ate that night, in pictures.


Cold starters – potato salad, smoked salmon, sushi, scallop (?),
crab's claw, crackers and cheese (Brie). 


The cold seafood didn't really appeal to me. (Don't worry, it didn't smell fishy. It just wasn't my thing.) The potato salad wasn't amazing either. (A little bland.) But the sushi? Mmm... the sushi was goooood. And mind you, you're hearing that from someone who doesn't really like the taste and texture of raw fish. Oh, and you know how much I love my crackers and cheese, don't you? Well, the Brie looked funny to me and had some herby-looking dots in it. But in spite of how it looked, it was t-a-s-t-y. Yums!


After I had enough of the cold stuff, I moved on
 to the warm starters common to Western menus.


Bread and bun with salted butter. 


Chicken soup.


The bun wasn't kept warm enough and the aircon kinda made the bread a little dry so that wasn't very good. But I liked that they gave us 3 different types of butter for us to choose from – salted, unsalted and... another fancier one I can't remember. Dee and I are salted butter people so we just grabbed those and never looked back. =p Soup was just okay. The other choice was a cream soup but... I decided I wanted something a little more cheng cheng that night. =)


Next, I attacked the Western buffet line.


Western Buffet – beef, chicken, fish, lamb and potato wedges.


Took a little bit of everything but... I can't say I particularly enjoyed any enough to go for seconds. :-/ Other things there looked less appetising so I just didn't bother. Oh, and there was also Ribena risotto that Mee said was pretty good. But Dee and I decided to give the funny-looking purple rice a miss. Haha.


Mee and Dee also ventured toward the Asian cuisine area to try out the dishes but I kinda gave up halfway so... nope, no pictures for you on that one. Sorry lah, but I am so not a buffet person. Neither is Dee for that matter. Two of us go means super waste money wan. We only like the cheap stuff. Like bread and salted butter. Haha. =p


But although I didn't stuff myself with boring Asian fried rice and the like, I think I made up for it pretty well by indulging in tiny, little cups of equally as pretty-looking desserts. =)


Fruit on chocolate mousse and and assortment of jelly.


Tiramisu in a cup – so pretty! I like!
Too bad it looks better than it tastes. =p


Strawberry on jelly.


So, yeah. That was how my buffet dinner at Serena Brasserie, InterContinental Hotel KL went. My only regret was not having more of the sushi. Should have loaded up on that in order to eat my money's worth. Hahaha. *kiasu* Anyway, this place is definitely worth a visit if you've got a special day to celebrate, with extra money to spend. Otherwise... Jalan Alor cukup lah, kan? =p




-----------------------
SERENA BRASSERIE
-----------------------
InterContinental Hotel Kuala Lumpur
(a.k.a Hotel Nikko Kuala Lumpur)
165, Jalan Ampang
50450 Kuala Lumpur
Malaysia

Phone: +603 2782 6228
e-mail: foodandbeverage@hotelnikko.com.my
Website: http://intercontinental-kl.com.my/


-----------------
Related Posts
-----------------

5 comments :

Melsong said...

It's Blackcurrant Risotto.

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Melsong
– Same diff?

Lissa said...

I hate buffets. Hate the idea of stuffing myself just to make it worth the money spent. -.-

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Lissa
- That's why Dee and I make terrible buffet guests. We don't stuff either. But then we leave hating the fact that we paid good money for bread and butter. Haha.

Lissa said...

LOL! Bless.

Post a Comment

Talk to me!