Friday, August 14, 2009

Breaking The Monotony

Today, I finally decided that I had enough.


I decided that I had to do something to make myself (genuinely) happy to be at work again. I had to do something that would remind me of the joy I used to find with every working day. I had to remind myself of how much I actually love doing what I do – dream up ideas (minus the sleep bit), create something out of nothing, execute the plan (meaning to sit down and write). And of how much I enjoy doing all I'm doing where I do it.


I've forgotten how much of a thrill it can be to get a new brief. How fun it can be to attempt to understand a new client and her market (overnight). How much fun it can be to tackle a tough proposition. How much fun it can be to tear into a new project. And how much fun it can be to play in a busy colleague's sandbox. Ahh, I've let the memories slip. And I've stupidly put off making new ones.


Time to have some fun at work.


I need a project. It's been too long since the last time I did something at work that didn't concern work. But then again, I also need it to be something I'd be able to finish working on in a short time. (Got work to do lah.) But it also has to be something that will not just be a pure waste of my time.


Then I found the perfect project to dive into.


You see, the flooring at this new building The Office moved into is crap. The cement seems to be disintegrating right beneath our feet and it keeps coming out in powdery chunks, leaving us with mini potholes where our chair wheels roll. -_-' The lot of us have been covering those unsightly holes for ages now with mounting boards but... hey, who's to say the mounting boards can't look pretty while they're being functional?


Here's my new project.


---------------


WHATCHAMACALLIT:
A Writer's Tiles


STUFF YOU'LL NEED (if you want to work on a similar project):
1. Mounting Boards (3 A2-sized boards)
2. Fabric Tape (Black, 2 rolls)
3. A4 Paper (18 sheets, 1-side print)
4. A whole bunch of quotes (18 advertising/writing quotes)
5. NT Cutter + Cutting Board
6. Metal ruler


INSTRUCTIONS:
First, grab your Mounting Boards.




I used recycled ones.
(Save the planet, rarr rarr rarr.)

Next, make sure you've got
enough Fabric Tape. I needed 2 rolls.


Fabric Tape in Black.


Tape the boards together in the following manner:




As you can see, I used the fabric tape to form grid lines on the mounting board. Actually hor, you don't have to do that if you don't want to lah. I only did it cos I was too lazy to measure the boards accurately before I started work. HAHA. That's why I needed the grids to show me how many quotes I'd need to prepare. Was working backwards. Go, me.


Cut out your 18 quotes (15cm x 15cm).




I was lazy so I resorted to cutting all 18 at one go. =p Did a pretty good job. Even if I do say so myself. Haha. Next, you'll wanna place those quotes within the grids and start fabric taping them down.


View from the right.


If you keep your grid lines straight and equally spaced,
it should look a little something like this.


View from the left.


Next, bring the boards to wherever you wanna have it lie and start sticking the sides down with fabric tape. (Again, keep your lines straight.) And there you have it – The Writer's Tiles... COMPLETED!


Tada!




So easy hor? Quick and fun.

To give you an idea of how big these tiles are,
here's an in-situ picture of the project. =)




p/s: Will publish a complete list of the quotes tomorrow or something, okay? Can't do it now so STAY TUNED! You'll want to. They're pretty smart and most of them are pretty funny.

2 comments :

nithyakuthiah said...

So 'Pam' :)

Pam Song said...

ATTN: - nithya -
– Haha. It is, isn't it? Been too long since I've worked on these things lah. Remember my old room at SS15 and how I made my own shade with cut outs of stuff I drew and coloured? Ahh, those were the days.

Post a Comment

Talk to me!