Saturday, April 17, 2010

AMA: What Do You Like Most Being In And What Do You Do?

QUESTION: what do u like most bein in:
1) Mccann
2) an advertising agency
3) the creative industry
and on a more personal interest note,
what do u do in Mccann? – SirButterRoll


ANSWER: Firstly, good question. Secondly, I think if I'm honest with myself, I'd pick (3) The Creative Industry.

It's not that I hate McCann. I don't. But to me, it's never the management (management is... well, as management are so I won't even bother going there) or the accounts held that make a company. It's the people. And that's what I like McCann for – the friendships I've made in my 3 years there. (Yesterday happened to be my 3rd year anniversary at McCann, by the way. =p) And I don't need to be at McCann to make meaningful friendships. So, to that effect, McCann is just a place. A place I found great friendships. =)

Call me sentimental but I like how the lot of us who've been at McCann have grown to care for each other. Perhaps that's because of how much time we spend with each other. (By default due to ridiculous amounts of work that require penniless overtimes, of course. -_-) And it's great that even those who've come and gone are still keeping in touch with some of us who've stuck around. Like Ah Beng, The Male Ah Lian, Dennis the Menace and The Art Guy.

But I digress. Work's not all bad at McCann. Sure, it sucks that the air-conditioning is turned off during lunch and after 5.30PM, and we've got print quotas and such *rolls eyes* but such is the life under The Great McCann Financial Controller. (We weren't referred to as the most cost-effective McCann in the region for nothing. :-/) But like I said, work-wise, it's not all bad.

There still are accounts/jobs get me excited. Even till today. Even after 3 years. But somehow, it also doesn't feel enough sometimes. I think the problem is that I've been working on my primary accounts for too long so that whole area of working in McCann is in dire need of a little bit of shaking up. You know? A little bit of shuffling here and there could do some good.

Anyways, enough about McCann. To be in an advertising agency – any advertising agency, anywhere in the world – is great because I get to do what I'm interested in but... I think I kinda like the greater expanse of opportunity that comes with wanting to be in the Creative Industry. Cos I've always like having a part in creative things like dance, music or art. So if I could use all that to advertise something, it'd be the perfect combination for me.

As for what I do at McCann, I write. =)


p/s: You can ask me anything here.

2 comments :

infinitium said...

im still waiting for mine to get answered... can potong q or not?

Pam Song said...

ATTN: infinitium
– In the process! In the processsss! Hahahaha.

Post a Comment

Talk to me!