Saturday, April 25, 2009

Going Back To The Basics

I used to be a hardcore handicraft junkie.


I'd fiddle with needles and threads in my free time. I'd sew bags, simple tops (I even managed to sell one!) and alter my own clothes as and when I felt like it. (Back then, my mom had a sewing machine I could use. It'd dead now.) I'd buy beads and materials to make and sell my own necklaces and earrings, too.


And that's just some of the girly-er stuff
I've worked on that we're talking about.

Heh.

The less domesticated part of me
found joy in working on other projects, too!


Like mucking about with paper mache projects, BUNCHO colours and cans of colourless spray paint. Or making name tags for church camps. Or just something as useless as stamping geometric patterns onto art paper with carefully cut potatoes. Haha. I'd even take the time to design/draw/write my own cards and personalise them for the people they were intended for.


I'd do all sorts of dan lain-lain artsy-fartsy stuff lah. And I'd lose sleep over my projects. Dah lah for the most time, these projects pretty much consumed every free minute of my time but... haih. Whatever, I did it anyways. Because I loved working on those projects, useless as they may seem.


But... to be honest with you, it's been ages since I last worked anything remotely handicraft-ish. My last memory of anything of the sort was of a time back in 2005 when I knitted a scarf. After that, there were no creations, no designs, no personalisation – nothing! Nada. Elek. Bo. Mei You. Mou. Totally fail. -_-


But I think that the stress from last week
changed all that for me somehow.


Last week alone, I put together a small non-slip, cradle-type mat for my Omnia so that it doesn't fly while I'm taking corners while driving, altered a top and a dress, and made two rings. A little difficult for you to visualise, perhaps but... don't worry. I'll present you with pictures in due time. Am too beat to work on any snapping or editing right now... though I am pretty pleased with myself for working on these simple projects this past week. =)


There's just something that craft does to me lah. It's just... very Zen-ing. It's mindless and it's so uncomplicated, unlike how everything else in life seems to be. The biggest foul one could possibly make would be to put in a wrong stitch. Or to slather art glue on the wrong side of the paper. Which, when you stop and think about it, is actually no big deal at all. And I like that. A lot.


So here's to more artsy-fartsy crafty days.

*snip snip*


p/s: Will work on The Cardapult when I find the time to lah ya. It's not a priority to me. I've got a few other more "practical" projects I'd like to tackle first. Heh. And like I said before, there'll be pictures to come. Stay tuned. =)

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Talk to me!