Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Discontentment

Discontentment is a merciless killer.

And a silent one, at that.


It doesn't call out for attention. It doesn't send a nudge our way. It doesn't bleep a discreet warning as a heads-up. Heck, it doesn't even alert us on vibrate mode or anything at all! Zilch. Nada. Zero. In fact, it comes around in such an inconspicuous manner that nobody really takes full notice of it till it's eaten more than it's fair share of the pie. Turns out the grandmother stories I've heard are true – it's the silent dog that bites the hardest.


Sigh.


And it's only after we've been bitten that we start to feel the pain from Discontentment's deadly bite. Ugh, that gnawing pain. The one that tells us that our lives, relationships and careers aren't ever going anywhere. That we'll never get what we really want. And that we'll never be who we want to be if we keep doing what we do and living the way we're used to living.


Unlike Perception that lies only in the mind,
Discontentment's sorry playground is the heart.

That being said, Discontentment clearly
cruelly kills any possibility at happiness.

Why?


Well, this lack of contentment in our circumstances does nothing (yes, NOTHING) to help our situations, whatever those situations may be. All it does is make whatever we try to do seem all the more futile. I've come to realise that with Discontentment, we've successfully lost the fight before we even step into the ring. We've failed without even sitting for the test. And we've given up without even trying.


Discontentment leads to frustration and, ultimately, a lifetime of lifelong unhappiness. Sure, it may sound very slippery-slopeish now, but believe you me, it's true. I can personally testify to that. Men who set their hearts to embrace their inner discontentment are rarely ever happy. What they get isn't ever good enough. And what they've achieved is almost always unsatisfactory.


Contentment is the gift of peaceful happiness.


It's a state of satisfaction towards all that we've been given in life. All that we've been blessed with. It's a beautiful place to be at. I know it is. And sometimes, I feel that I have it. It feels like I'm 'there'. Touching it. Seeing it. Feeling it. Just being in the presence of Contentment and feeling... contented.


But at other times, I feel like I don't even know where Contentment is on the map. Times when I'm left to wonder if such a site even exists in the first place. And I wonder if it's has been I who have been kidding myself all this while. Fooling myself into thinking that life could better when it never actually does get any better than the way it is today.


Today I feel the latter. I wonder how I'll feel tomorrow.

5 comments :

Anonymous said...

tomorrow ..eh more like today .. YOU WILL FEEL JOY !!

Cos the joy of the Lord is our strength !!

Anonymous said...

Babe,

DISCONTENTMENT? Why? I think it's time to talk when you get home, I'll be all ears.

Hugs,
Nisha
P/S A lil surprise for you....when you get home.

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Zecount
– Amen. Thanks, bro.


ATTN: nisha
– Yep. You got it. Discontentment. I'll be back soon, okay? Brace yourself. Haha. What's the surprise? Tell! Tell! Please?

*puppy dog eyes*

Anonymous said...

In the secular view, discontentment is viewed as the drive or challenge to motivate a person to move towards specific goals in life. However too much of discontentment could indeed consume the person and plant the seed of envies and self centered into the heart of that person. It eats up the personality of the person bit by bit.... a silent killer!..and ultimately the common question popped by: " Why he/she has changed so drastically? What happened?" To some, even worst...they blamed God for all the dissatisfactions that they experienced in life... Sigh! The word of 'thankfulness" has somewhat lost and erased from the person's memories....=(

How can a person be blessed if there is so much discontentment and unthankfulness in his/her life?

It will certainly be wise to CHECK and GUARD our heart when we feel discontented. Be thankful to the Heavenly Father even when we are struggling with the storms of life! It is because we are serving the God who is in control of everything and we are NOT ALONE at all!

Some of my friends asked me to give them a reason to be thankful when there are so many discontentments in their life. And this is what I told them " The air that you breath is FREE! If God is to charge you for every single cent for that breath...will you be able to repay HIM?"

Life is not so much into what and how much that we have in possessions but it is how do we value and appreciate the peoples and things that we have right in front of our own eyes! To God Be the Glory! Amen! =)

Quoted from Colossians 3:15
"And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful"

Pam Song said...

Okay, now THAT was a long comment. My eyes are swimming already. Will have get back to you with a reply later.

Post a Comment

Talk to me!