Friday, May 04, 2007

Comfortable

Artists: John Mayer
Song Title: Comfortable

I just remembered that time at the market
Snuck up behind me and jumped on my shopping cart
And rode down Aisle 5
You looked behind you to smile back at me
Crashed into a rack full of magazines
They asked us if we could leave

Can't remember what went wrong last September
Though I'm sure you'd remind me if you had to

Our love was comfortable and so broken in

I sleep with this new girl I’m still getting used to
My friends all approve say, “She’s gonna be good for you.”
They throw me high fives
She says the Bible is all that she reads
And prefers that I not use profanity
Your mouth was so dirty

Life of the party, and she swears that she’s artsy
But you could distinguish Miles from Coltrane

Our love was comfortable and so broken in

She’s perfect, so flawless
Or so they say
Say, hey

She thinks I can’t see the smile that she’s fakin’
And poses for pictures that aren’t being taken
I loved you, grey sweat pants
No make up – so perfect

Our love was comfortable and so broken in

She’s perfect, so flawless
I’m not impressed
I want you back


















I love this song. It happened to pop up on my iPod while I was on the bus back to KL and I've been on it since. It's beautiful. A tad sadder than my regular love song tune, but beautiful nonetheless. It gives me this feeling. Almost like Michael Bublé's Home. You know? Love had, love lost and love longed for.


To be honest, I wrote half of this on the bus – the depressed, pathetically sad-sounding half. I'm sure you'll know which of these next few paragraphs are current and which are dated 2nd of May 2007. Read on.


"My friends all approve say,
'She’s gonna be good for you.'
They throw me high fives"


Other people may seem perfect for you – so says the rest of the world (who I believe on some level actually want what's best for you). But isn't it ever so often that what's best for us isn't what we really want? Yeah, sure. They say that he/she will be perfect for you. But if who you have is already perfect to you, what does it matter what other people say? And what do you do if what your firing neurons agree with what they say... but your pulsing heart tells you otherwise?


"Can't remember what went wrong last September"


Very rarely are fights fought actually worth fighting for. We race blindly into Love Battlefields without a second thought, charged with nothing but pure emotion and childlike adrenaline. In fact, many a time, we already forget what it was we were fighting about by the time we hang up the phone or slam the door. Fights ought to be picked. Not in the sense that we should all pick fights with our partners, of course. But I strongly believe that we should "pick" only the fights really worth fighting for and just forget those which we can afford to let slide.


"I loved you, grey sweat pants
No make up – so perfect"


Sometimes, grey sweat pants and no make-up seems more perfect than flawlessness that fails to impress, doesn't it? Why? Because that's love. You partner's perfect in your eyes already. It doesn't take anything else – anything superficial. It's not the hair, it's not the skin, it's not the geeky glasses, it's not the pimply skin, it's not the dressing to kill, it's not the fancy vocabulary. It's the person. YOUR perfect person.


"She’s perfect, so flawless
I’m not impressed
I want you back"


I guess the worse punishment anyone could bear for a bad decision in love is to have Flawlessness sleeping by their side and then realising that what they really want is Grey Sweat Pants back.


"Our love was comfortable and so broken in"


Doesn't that sound divine? Sigh. I want Broken-in Love, too! Because somehow, Broken-in Love becomes perfect. It embodies flawlessness although flawless, it obviously isn't. Nothing is. At least not here on Earth. Unfortunately, Broken-in Love is so often equated with Complacent Love. Very different, guys. Complacent Love is boring, stale and mundane, whilst Broken-in Love is comfortable, unpretentious and relaxed. I want the latter.


-----------


Love that's comfortable, yes.
Love that's complacent, no.
– pamsong, 2nd of May 2007


-----------


This post is dedicated to both my parents who have always shown me what true love is. I've lived a quarter of my life through and I have yet to see anything more beautiful. Your love for each other is beautiful. I love you both.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Talk to me!