Friday, July 30, 2010

DIY Pancakes

I've been craving pancakes for the longest time now. (Maybe it's cos I can't forget the amazing pancakes I had at Café Café. =p) So after sending The Fiancé off to work this morning, I decided to satisfy that craving by making my own pancakes. I drove to IGA, Nedlands to get me a box of pancake mix. (Don't judge. I don't remember ever making them without the mix before.)


Got inside the store and looked high and low but didn't find any pancake mixes. Bummer. But if you know me at all, you'll know that once I set my mind to something I'm passionate about, by hook or by crook, I'll make. it. work. (Wow, looks like something stuck from my 3+ years with Small Boss at MCKL! Haha.)


So, undeterred and still as determined as ever,
I Googled the recipe for homemade pancakes.


Found one that suggested ingredients that made sense to me (yeah, I have a very meticulous recipe-picking process =p), and set off to look for Self Raising Flour. (I had everything else I needed at home – eggs, butter, sugar and salt.) I found it soon enough. Right next to a whole row of instant pancake mix! *slaps forehead*


But whatever.


By then, I was more excited about going DIY so I put down the mix and headed to the counter with the flour. Drove home and got to work. Worked my muscles mixing the ingredients together.
  • 2 cups self raising flour
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 60 grams melted butter

And 1 hour later... TADAAA!!!




I knew we had a tub of honey at home. But upon checking, I saw that it was crystallised. Not visually appealing at all. And I know they say that honey never goes bad but trust me, IT DOES.


I sat next to the CEO of a worldwide honey supplier/producer on one of my flights back to KL from Penang last year and we got to talking. He told me that in its purest form with zero water content, honey never goes bad. But the honey we buy off the shelves and in the stores ALL contain traces of water. Especially those that come from countries with high humidity. So, yes. Honey DOES go bad.


Anyway, back to my pancake story.


So since honey was out of the question, I decided to go with butter and brown sugar. (We don't have white sugar at home.) And I must say... it went really, really well with the pancakes! Which were awesome sauce, too, I might add. Hahaha.


Pancakes with Butter and Brown Sugar.


Imma telling you, this on-a-whim-cooking thing
is starting to get really fun! And fattening, too!

Wheee!

12 comments :

zecount said...

good .. then finally u gonna gain those weights that had been eluding u for the pass 3 years!

Pam Song said...

ATTN: zecount
- I'm fat already lor.

zecount said...

ah .. but by how much??

Pam Song said...

ATTN: zecount
– A LOT! When The Fiancé carries me, he says I'm heavy now!!! -_-'''

Lissa said...

I made pancakes the other day!

I'm including my pancake recipe into the list of things I'm giving you. :P

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Lissa
– HAHAHA. The lumpy ones? Bring it on! Haha.

Anonymous said...

looks like roti canai eh....haha =P

ubersupersara said...

hey i made pancakes too! fluffy, chocolate chip ones :) check out the blog for the recipe! :)

RealGunners said...

i'd put some spring onions, chili strips and har mai into the mix.. :P

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Adrian Lim
- Woai!!! Not roti canai okayyyy.

Pam Song said...

ATTN: supersara
- Okay! Will go in and take a look! It'll be awhile before I make pancakes again though. I still have leftover batter in my fridge!!

Pam Song said...

ATTN: RealGunners
- Eh, uncle... This is not tai chow fried egg lah. Hahaha.

Post a Comment

Talk to me!