Wednesday, April 14, 2010

How To Train Your Dragon

...is, without a doubt,
the BEST 3D movie I have ever watched.


------------

Click here to watch the
2-and-a-half minute official trailer.
(Sorry, embedding not allowed.)

------------


Get a load of that! And you're not even watching it in 3D yet. (Trust me, your comp screen does this movie no justice whatsoever.)




Lovable characters. (Though not necessarily very memorable ones save for the lead male and the lead dragon.) Arresting visuals. Vivid imagery. Snappy writing. Magical storytelling. Strong narrative. (I particularly enjoyed the way the beginning and the end were pretty much the same save for a few changes in words.) Exhilarating action. All in all, excellent, excellent, EXCELLENT execution.



"The direction of the whole movie is tremendous, but when it comes to Hiccup and Toothless soaring through the sky, it shows you 3D at its best. The depth is measured perfectly with the editing so that you feel like you’re flying with the character. You’re sharing Hiccup’s joy rather than just witnessing it." [Source]

See what I mean?


I went with without expecting much (there wasn't a lot of promotion going on for this film) but boy, oh boy was I impressed by its magic.


Pixar, beware!

Cos DreamWorks Animation
is really going places!


In fact, How To Train Your Dragon inTru3D was so good I'm willing to watch it again. Not only because I fell in love with the scrawny lead male, Hiccup (voice of Jay Baruchel), and the ever-mysterious, super-speedy, cloaked-in-the-darkness-of-night, deadly Night Fury dragon, Toothless, but because it's just that good. Yeah, you got that right. I used Italic.


This film kicked Avatar's arse big time.

Dear Avatar fanboys, this is how
you show 3D fight and flight.
(Sorry, blue dudes. Your time is up!)


Every new dragon movie somehow seems to bring us more a adorable, more lovable and more endearing dragons than the last. I mean, I really liked the baby dragon in Eragon and I thought he was dead cute. But, OMG, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Toothless! (He's kinda like the Bumblebee of How To Train Your Dragon.)


This was the best pic I found of him.
Some Japanese version of the poster, I think.


He feels like a half-and-half between an cuddly canine and a feisty feline. Some of his mannerisms resemble that of manja-ing cats while others remind me of dogs. That's like a fire-breathing bucket-load of cute in scales!


But enough words about Toothless. You've really gotta watch him in action to feeeel what I feel for him. But it's not just him, actually. He's my favourite but there are others that are pretty cute, too. All the dragons in this film make gurgling sounds that make me go weak in the knees. Haha. So beh tahan.


Forget kids, I WANT MY OWN DRAGON!

*grin*

Go watch.

I'm hoping for Round 2
to come my way sometime soon. =)


------------------
HELPFUL LINKS
------------------

14 comments :

zecount said...

hahahaha so late then watch ah .. YES IT'S GOOD !!

Pam Song said...

ATTN: zecount
– Nope, I watched it 2 weekends ago. =)

zecount said...

i see .. i laughed hard when toothless attempted to smile

Pam Song said...

ATTN: zecount
– He's so friggin cute!!!

TMBF said...

I can think of other reviews you could've quoted. ;)

Pam Song said...

ATTN: TMBF
– Avatar fanboys? =p

JK said...

Me watched it TWICE - once in 3D & once in non-3D : )

Lissa said...

I'm waiting for the DVDrip. >.> Missed so many good movies this year. *siiiiiiiiiigh*

Pam Song said...

ATTN: san ling
– I watched the non-3D one at home. It wasn't as amazing but still, the characters kept their magic. Loved it!


ATTN: Lissa
– I found a version online but it wasn't quite as clear. Bleh.

TMBF said...

No, mine.

Pam Song said...

ATTN: TMBF
– Wha-?? You wrote a review? Which??

Pam Song said...

ATTN: TMBF
– Hey, I just read your post on the movie and... trust me, it's the first time I'm reading it so... no, I didn't quote you. Haha.

Pam Song said...

ATTN: TMBF
– Oh, but good review, by the way. Very complete. =)

Pam Song said...

ATTN: TMBF
– I'm spamming you, as you can see. Hahaha. Fun fun FUN!

Post a Comment

Talk to me!