Saturday, June 07, 2008

Guys Go Into Caves, Pam Song Builds Walls

I used to live this house that came with a garden. And since the garden had such pretty flowers, I thought, "Hey, maybe I should have some pretty, ankle-high picket fences to go with it. The kind that adds to the aesthetics but pretty much does nothing else." So I did it. I set up those fences. Just to be safe. You know? To keep people off the grass because, hey, it's impolite to step beyond other people's fences, right?


Wrong.


My flowers still got trampled over. Time after time after time. And then there was this one time when it got so bad that I decided, "To hell with the pretty fences. I need hardcore fences that go up to the armpits." So I got 'em built. Hmmm. Not too bad, I guess. It still looked okay from the inside. From the outside... well, not so cool. But what the heck. I needed to learn to be selfish with my garden of pretty flowers. So what if other people can't really see what's inside unless they peek over the fence? It's no loss to me, right?


Wrong.


After happily living in that fenced up house for over a quarter of a decade, my house got broken into. It got broken into really badly. I lost everything. My TV set, my couches, my even my favourite table lamp from IKEA that cost pennies but meant the world to me – I lost them all. Overnight, I suddenly found that I had nothing. Nothing to show for my time in the house. Nothing to show for the energy I invested into making the house the house it was. Instead, it was a mess. An almost-empty house with nothing but mess and more mess.


But there was nothing to do but
pick up the pieces and move on with life.


So I cleaned it up. I cleaned it all up and swore that I'd never put my house in a position to need that kind of massive cleaning up again. I needed to get new fencing. But hey, no more picket fences for me, no siree. I'm taking no more risks. NO. MORE. RISKS.


I needed a wall.


So I got down to business with that wall. I placed an order for brick walls that reached waaay over my head. I felt safer once they were up. But still not safe enough. Paranoia stayed (and grew) and over time, I found myself adding shards of broken glass in rows atop the walls that surrounded my house. I had them molded into a layer of wet cement and left it all to dry. Did that all round the house and even on the lower window seals. Just to be really safe. No more risks, remember?


But I wasn't happy. I felt caged in.


Like I somehow lost a part of myself when I decided to lock myself in in an effort to keep the bad guys out. So I thought, "Maybe I should just check out a new neighbourhood and move into a new place. Maybe it'll be easier starting anew. Maybe."


So I decided to give it a try.


Things went pretty smoothly, if you ask me. I saw and even seriously considered a couple of nice houses in some nice neighbourhoods about town. Even went out, narrowed my choices down and inquired about prices with the realtor. But then, something happened with my plan and things didn't quite fall through like I hoped it would. So, I ended up finding myself staring back at my old house again. The one with the brick walls.


Sigh. What now?


Ditch the house, or give it another shot? I mean, I was pretty okay-happy with it till the break-in, right? So, perhaps it deserves another shot. Perhaps. There's no guarantee when it comes to these things. But thinking about it, it would save me a lot on lawyer fees and all. Plus, I'm so used to the way the house is. I know every nook and cranny. I know the sounds it makes at night. I know the exact angle in which the afternoon sun shines in. I know it because it's familiar. And familiar is good, right? Hmmm. So... second chance?


Fine. We'll go with the second chance.


After making my decision, I tried to be genuinely happy living in my old house again. But the walls that surrounded it just irritated the hell out of me. As much as I tried being happy, the garden just looked terrible with those dammed brick walls. The shards of glass didn't help improve the aesthetics either. So I made a decision to change it all. I was scared, of course. I mean, I got my house broken into and I lost everything overnight, remember. Wouldn't YOU be scared? Be a little more understanding, for crying out loud! It takes a lot of courage to tear down the walls. A LOT of courage.


But I did it anyways. And then
I got the armpit-high picket fences back.


I guess things are relatively okay for me now. I mean, they're still not as perfect as they used to be cos I still find myself looking over my shoulder every once in awhile for fear of being robbed and all but... hey, I'm surviving. And I get to have my pretty garden back. Thing is, I know that if anything rotten were to happen again, the walls would so come back. And this time, they'd be SO high and SO thick that nobody would ever get through them again. I'd sacrifice my pretty garden for my safety any day. No second thoughts. And no third chances.


But let's focus on the now and not on the what-ifs.


Now, I've got my picket fences. They're not the aesthetically pleasing ones I had before all this – the ankle-high ones that did nothing but please the eyes – but they'll do. For now. Perhaps my house looks less appealing with them around. But I can't bring myself to care anymore. At least not right now. Maybe someday when I've got my own family living in that house with me and I'm no longer alone, I'll let those cute, little picket fences make a comeback. Get my pretty garden looking as ideal as I'd want it to. But not as yet.


Now, I'll live with the armpit-high fences.
And I'll try being as happy as I can with them.


If anybody wants a peek, they'll have to tip-toe. Stand on stools and schoolbooks if they must. Maybe even climb ladders. Whatever the case, I'm not bringing those fences down. Not yet. Not unless I've got security. And some sort of a guarantee that I'll be safe and protected no matter what. This is why I'm not ready. And the more people make me do it, the more they push me to doing what I'm not ready to, the more I feel scared and threatened.


And fearful, threatened people build walls.


------------


Confused? You may have to read a post I published back in October 2006 in order to fully understand this post. That was Part 1 of the Saga: "Decide, Woman, for I'm Afraid of the Ice."

33 comments :

Anonymous said...

Super GENG! Where did you copied that story?! =P

When the wall is built, its hard for anynone to penetrate but if there isnt any wall, life becomes so fragile....Thats life! =P

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Adrian Lim
– Like, hello. I WROTE it. Babi.

ming said...

too long. lazy to read.



lol.

kidding la..

i know what u r trying to say laaaaaaaa.. =p

Pam Song said...

ATTN: ming
– Haha. Of course lah! My header is like a super big hint lor! Ish.

Anonymous said...

Hmmph! Me not listening *happily enjoying char siu rice*

amb3r1te said...

sometimes we build walls without even realizing it :(

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Adrian Lim
– I wasn't talking also.


ATTN: amb3r1te
– It's true. I totally agree. And sometimes, it's unintentional. But we just can't help but want to protect ourselves cos we know that if we don't, nobody else will.

ming said...

i prefer the ice skating one better. =p

ming said...

maybe u should write something with the ice skating again

ming said...

i mean..after all you picked up ur ice skating shoes again ma..

so must have the cerita berikut one..=p

Pam Song said...

ATTN: ming
– Wah! You remembered! That was since friendsterblogs with TOTT, man. Haha. I didn't continue from there cos I thought nobody would remember anyways so might as well start afresh. But... Hmmm. There's a thought. Haha. Will think about it. If anything comes up lah. Or else... nothing to write also. =p You know I know.

Randy said...

lol...
It's tough. When we are afraid of opening our doors and being vulnerable - because we are afraid of being hurt...

So, we build walls instead. Yeah. It does feel caged in. I understand how you feel.

Hang in there girl!

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Randy Khoo
"lol... It's tough."

WTH!? You laugh then you say that it's tough?! EXPLAIN PLEASE!!!

3POINT8 said...

Thats why we need so many engineers in this world! To build and improve the fence!
ahahahahaa

Pam Song said...

ATTN: 3POINT8
– That. Comment. Was. So. Totally. (-_-).

Mrs Chong said...

hey...i like the way you put it..can so totally feel what u are saying. And sometimes, it's not easy to tear the walls down. You may thought you did, but actually, you did not.

You know what I mean? It is never easy to tear it down though building it is very easy.

ps: I really had my house broken in and yes, I am still scared till now. Installed alarm though. No walls.

Anonymous said...

see that's why men smarter .. we no need to build walls when a cave has natural walls built in heheheh .. ok ok ... that was lame ...but yea how's the ice skating coming along?? well at least the plans

Simon Seow said...

Buy a house in those gated area la.

Observer said...

so cryptic wan.. hanya faham tiga suku..

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Ping Ping
– Haha. I think that girls will get this post better than guys. =p

And yes, I agree with you when you say that we sometimes fool ourselves into believing that we've torn down walls when actually, we're still as closed up. It's not easy lah. I find it very difficult to go back to being open with people after I've built up those walls. I feel naked. Like I've been invaded. No privacy. You know?

Haha. Perhaps I should get an alarm system, too. =p


ATTN: zecount
– HAHAHA. Yes, that was lame. =p

And the ice skating is still... skating lor. Haha. Still on the ice. No plans to get off or to join any world championship. No plans.


ATTN: Simon Seow
– Haha. Blur case.


ATTN: Freethinker
– Haha. Yeah, I know. =p You should have read my FIRST edition to this saga. It was over a year ago. Maybe 2 years. I should have linked it here lah. Haih. Haha. Then only maybe you all will get the story better.

Anonymous said...

eheh...pantun for you:-

"Guys go into caves, Pam Song builds walls"

" Adrian masuk caves, bats all keluar"

Haha..=P *entertaining myself*

Unknown said...

thats from 'Men are from Mars, Women from Venus' rite?

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Adrian Lim
– Uh... like SO very the entertaining yourself lor... -_-


ATTN: Jacky
– Ooo, I wouldn't know, actually. I haven't read the book before. (I know, I'm pathetic that way.)

Leon said...

like reading "The Vincci Code - Pam Brown"

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Leon
– YYYEEESSSSS!!! Success!

Anonymous said...

yea the girls would get it better... i tot u were talking about frenships u made and lost (well at least lah got sikit sikit kena) until ming wrote about ice skating then "ting" ya ho anyways u gonna be pretty "busy" soon ... hopefully can make time for it loh ... even if not world champion ship maybe can show a bit during Emerge heheheh

Pam Song said...

ATTN: zecount
– Uh... Emerge?
Uh... Busy?
Uh... Make time?

Hmmm.

How should I put this?

Leon, with that comment, you officially showed me that you didn't get this post, AND you didn't get the ice skating post. Haha. Indeed girls DO get it better. =p

Anonymous said...

wa lau .. this time is u no get me lah ...aiya ... no point justifying ... i feel like everything also kau kau "terblur" already

Leon said...

Get this post ? I don't even understand a single phrase in this post, never mind the whole idea behind it.

And to think i just finished re-reading Da Vinci Code (I was at the last few chapters last night when I first commented), my head is now spinning.

damn, i need to go find panadol.

Leon said...

Furthermore, since this post is well intended for the feminines, what in the world made u think a sexist brat like me would understand ? *wink*

:)

Pam Song said...

ATTN: zecount
– Uh... No, seriously, I think you didn't get the first post either. That's why you think that this post is about "that" topic. Haha. It isn't. =p


ATTN: Leon
– Sexist brat is right. And how did it go with that Panadol? =p

Eileen said...

I Love your post!
I guess it is just too true... =D

Pam Song said...

ATTN: xL
– Awww, thanks! Haha. And thanks for stoppin' by. =)

Post a Comment

Talk to me!