Monday, October 08, 2007

It's Complicated

Friendster has killed our generation.


No longer are our relationship statuses as simple as they used to be. No longer are we merely Single, In A Relationship or Married. No, no. Life's too simple that way. There are those of us who find ourselves in It's Complicatedrelationships, too.




For some, it's a highly complicated (and particularly painful) case of used-to-be-lovers-want-to-be-lovers-can't-be-lovers. It's sad but stuff like this happens sometimes. In fact, it happens all the time. Things happen, times change, and people drift apart. Difference finally takes its toll on the relationship and people who once promised to love each other entire lifetimes... eventually break-up due to environmental and emotional stress factors. That's the sad side to Friendster's It's Complicated™.


For another bunch of intoxicated smiley-faced Others, it's the supremely exhilarating, incredibly engaging and immensely thrilling more-than-friends-less-than-lovers territory they've stepped into. (Hopped, skipped and jumped into, more likely, if you ask me.) With that, they giddy-headed-ly long jump – olahragawati-style – their way into the arms of their It's Complicated™ lovers, with hopes of living happily ever after... till their happily-ever-afters come crashing in because of the commitment-less nature of their relationship, of course. Like long-jumping, there's always the risk of over-stepping that blasted white plank.


So, yeah. This is what I want to talk about today.
The more-than-friends-less-than-lovers people.
Friends with benefits, they sometimes call themselves.


But is there really such a thing? Aren't all friendships potentially beneficial? Aren't all friendships, at the very least, supposed to be? So isn't it redundant to say that? Or is it one of those little white lies people tell themselves? Perhaps to ease the pain of not being in a real relationship. Perhaps to pretend that they really can be fulfilled and be truly happy being with someone who wants them but doesn't want them enough to commit to them a hundred percent.


I don't know. But this I do know.


Not many women are able to be "involved" without being emotionally involved. Emotional attachment is unavoidable when there's emotional investment involved. And when any of the love languages come into play, there IS emotional investment. You may not share physical touch. You may not give each other gifts. You may not even provide any acts of service. But quality time set aside for someone is already a demonstration of love. And believe you me, it's especially difficult for us girls. We are emotional creatures who constantly strive to build and maintain the many relationships around us. Heck, even maintaining the balance between the relationships we share with the people around us is important.


So tell me.

How is it possible that a woman invest her time,
mental energy and emotion into a man without at least
wishing for more in return than just his friendship?

It isn't possible.


Not for women, at least. We're not capable of that. In fact, not many PEOPLE are capable of that... not that it's anything to be proud of even if they are capable of it, anyways. Oh well. To every man his own complicated relationship. May it bring them the kind of joy and fulfillment I'll never come to understand.


I blame Friendster.

19 comments :

luxen said...

men and women don't communicate and think the same way. Read Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus.

Don't blame friendster, it's just symtom. Not the cause.

Here's a song that clicked in my head as I was typing this... by Dionne Warwick - Heartbreaker.



I've got to say it and it's hard for me

You got me cryin' like I thought I would never be.
Love is believin' but you let me down.
How can I love you when you ain't around
And I get to the morning and you never call.
Love should be ev'rything or not at all

And it don't matter whatever you do.
I made a life out of lovin' you

Only to find any dream that I follow is dyin' -
I'm cryin' in the rain -
I could be searchin' my world for a love everlasting

Feeling no pain - when will we meet again?
Why do you have to be a heartbreaker?
Is it a lesson that I never knew?
Got to get out of the spell that I'm under - my love for you.
Why do you have to be a heartbreaker

When I was bein' what you want me to be?
Suddenly ev'rything I ever wanted has passed me by.
This world may end - not you and I.
My love is sfronger than the universe

My soul is cryin' for you and that can not be reversed.
You made the rules and you could not see

You made a life out of hurtin' me.
Out of my mind I am held by the power of you
love

Tell me
when do we tly or should we say good-bye?
Why do you have to be a heartbkeaker?
When I was bein' what you want me to be?
Suddenly ev'rything I ever wanted has passed me by.
Why do you have to be a heartbreaker?
Is it a lesson that I never knew?
Suddenly ev'rything I ever wanted - my love for you.
Why do you have to be a heartbreaker

Pam Song said...

The thing with people is that it's easier pushing the blame on something un-blameable than to find fault with the cause. Haha.

And no, men and women definitely do not think the same way. Things that work well enough for men sometimes don't work for women. This It's Complicated™ thing is one of the examples I'd use. We aren't built the same way. Our make-ups are different. We relate to ppl differently. And we respond differently. That's why we EXPECT different things in relationships. And women are NOT good at expecting NOTHING when it comes to emotional and intimate dealings.

Anonymous said...

You know what Im thinking? 'Man needs to understand woman' and 'woman needs to understand man'.

How? COMMUNICATE, COMMUNICATE, COMMUNICATE. If both communicates WELL, then the 'complicated' status goes away.

The real problems sip in when both refuses to talk and intoxicating thoughts playing in the mind of both parties.

Example:-
Playin in Man's mind: How come she always like that? Always gets upset over little things...Im tired! Argghhhh! Let it be......

Playin in Woman's mind: How come he seems that he doesnt care at all? Ego..ego..ego.....Argghhh! Forget about it...

Results: Both dont talk and eventually laying the relationship on the rock. So Complicated status starts to manifest and strengthen.

True? No? Hahaha.....=)

Pam Song said...

No leh. Problem is both ppl KNOW their status and they're okay with being together WITHOUT being together. It's real "complicated". It's like they're in love but they're not together but they go on dates but they never intend to start going steady with one another. It's a whole new relationship type lah. It's messed.

Anonymous said...

Oh! That one you are refering to. For whatever reasons they could be, I believe the relationship is heading nowhere. A relationship requires COMMITMENTS from both sides to keep the BOND strong and healthy. Commitment is the element that gives you the sense of belonging and motivates you so that you dare to invest further in the other person. Yeah! MOTIVATES, that is the word...

Perhaps these peoples are too afraid to commit to their respective partner for fearing of losing something. Freedom? Lifestyle? Lust?

Pam Song said...

I think it's the past that has shaped these people to have so little faith in love that they're willing to be in relationships where there's no commitment. There's nothing to be gained in these relationships wan loh. Very unhealthy. You spend time, hold hands, maybe share a kiss or two... but you're not together. Where can wor?

I think it's not a fear of losing freedom and all that. It's a fear of losing themselves to love.

Pam Song said...

Oh, and one more thing. It's this fear of losing themselves to love that cause them to eventually lose out on REAL love. Simply because they're too scared to commit and be emotionally vulnerable.

Anonymous said...

Haha...thats rite! The investment rule comes in. If a person is so afraid to invest, the principal never grow and the figure stays there. The same thing applies here. Love grows when both sides are willing to invest in each other.

Yah! The investment could indeed gives -ve returns but it does not mean that it will never gives +ve returns. There is where smart investment concept comes into the picture. If the investment goes into the RIGHT person, then most likely you will get the +ve returns. So start investing! Why hold back? Hahaha..Im into finance world talk liao =P

Pam Song said...

Waaa...

*claps*

Not bad, not bad. From engineering to finance. Haha.

Anyway, it's true. Investment is a crucial part of any relationship. If one side only wishes to get and not give, the other side will be exhausted. Likewise, if one side always gives but never receives, they'll get burned out in the end, too! What goes out has to come in and what goes in has to come out. Then only fair ma.

But that rarely happens. It's already sometimes lopsided in committed relationships. What more in such "free" relationships? Sure you only wanna get and never give.

However, I see why some of them do it. Investing is scary lah. It's like buying shares. You never know which way it'll go. Up or down. You take a risk. You stand a chance at losing. And sometimes, people don't want to lose. So they never risk it. They play it "safe" by not committing themselves to another. They think that if they aren't attached, it is THEY who are in charge of their feelings. That's a lie. You cannot be impartial wan. I don't believe it. Sure got investment and sure got expectations of returns wan.

Leon said...

Speaking of investments, here are some other interesting rules:

Buy a cheap thing, sell it off high :)

If your gal asks for presents, dinners and movies, she's what you call a liability. Get rid of her.

34C, tight arses and Angelina-lips are what you call assets.

Investments need to be diversified. The more "portfolios" you have, the better.

Speaking of that, there is this saying among guys: Women are like money... can never have enough of them


Anyway, just to share some light moments .. I really don't wanna comment much on this post. It's pointless discussing this topic :)

Pam Song said...

How long have you been waiting to do that? How long have you been waiting to spoil my moment? Haha.

But yes. I agree some girls ARE liabilities. But the "assets" you listed aren't everything. What about pretty eyes? Nice hair? Or BRAINS for that matter.

When it comes to financial investments, yes, the more portfolios you have the better. In love, I personally believe that it's the opposite. Would you like a girl with a THICK "portfolio"?

Anonymous said...

Hahaha....add another rule:-

If the investments are diversified and yet I do not get high and reasonable returns, then its time for me to refocus and dump all of them into the 'Blue chip'. Sure profits...=P

Yup! Yup! Women are like money, can never have enough of them BUT my GOD says that I can have ONLY 1. So I better follow...Hahahaha =P

Pam Song said...

Okay, I agree with you when there's talk of Blue Chip Women... But, ADRIAN! You actually agree that more women better!? And the only reason you're sticking to one is because you HAVE to?!

Anonymous said...

Wait...Wait...Hold your gun la...*shivering while blowing off the fire, puff...puff...puff.*

That one is just for kick only. More women means more problems, how can be better. I dont think my ears are that thick enough for pulling exercises. Can die wan...

Okie! Okie! Correction, not only I HAVE to but I WANT TO. =P Hahaha =)))

P/S: A laugh a day keeps the doctor away...

Pam Song said...

Haaaa, like that la. Haiyo. You think and see – how to balance if got so many women? One man step two boats sure fall into river di. What more if there are three or four or five? Sure drown and bagi boats ketuk the kepala while he's bobbing about in the water.

'mike. said...

i am one of those who put 'it's complicated', but i got rebuked by a lady pastor. haha! so now i rather choose to keep it as 'single' but believing God to change it to 'in a relationship' soon... haha!

Pam Song said...

Haha. Tau pun. Kena marah leh. But no lah. Actually I dun see anything wrong about putting It's Complicated. It's just that don't live your life that way lor. I used to put it's complicated also. But my reasons were very simple. I was Single but I didn't want all those freak messages that kept getting through. After awhile it's tiring going through random profiles to make sure that you don't know the requestor before you delete/block them from your profile. That was MY reason for putting It's Complicated. But if the purpose was deception, then memang patut kena marah lah. HAHA.

Anonymous said...

Yalor!...when a man is unmaried, he has only 1 woman to please. But when he is married, haiyo kepala can pusing...need to serve 2 women (wife vs mum). Kena sandwich kau-kau....like all my married frens....HAHAHA *grins* =)

Women..women...women....we cant get away from you? Can we? Hahaha =P

Pam Song said...

Haha. You guys WANT to get away from us women meh?

Anyway, sure, it's two women to please. But if the man carries himself well, usually not much problem wan lo. It's about managing ppl and priorities only mah. Settle that and your wife won't have to suffer the dreaded MIL syndrome we all love to hate, and your mom won't curse the woman you love the most the most.

Post a Comment

Talk to me!