Sunday, July 25, 2010

My First Lasagne!

Let me first tell you that
I've never made lasagne before.

Like, E-V-E-R.


In fact, to be really honest with you, I've never actually cooked anything non-Chinese before I came to Australia. HAHA! You see, I'm a hardcore Chinese cuisine kinda girl. I love a good wok, a non-stick frying pan, and a deep, deep pot. Deep fry, stir-fry, everything fry... or just full-on boil, boil, boil. Don't believe me, ask my ex-housemates. Hahaha. =p


Sure, theoretically – just theoretically – I knew that Spaghetti Bolognese couldn't be all that difficult to whip up. And after cooking it half a dozen times since I arrived, I now know for sure that it's not. At least it's not if you use ready made pasta sauce. =p (Leggo's is best. Get the "Bolognese with Red Wine" variety. It's awesome!)


Anyway, during my visit to Woolworths for groceries last Friday, while browsing the pasta section, I decided – on a whim – to try cooking something I never cooked before, never thought I'd ever try cooking or even ever have the ability to cook. Haha. That day, I bought my first pack of Lasagne. =)


I didn't bother checking online
for recipes or anything. (Lazy.)

I just modified the recipe
on the back of the box. (Smart.)

HA. HA.

Today, I finally put all the ingredients together.



  • Lasagne Sheets
  • Bolognese Sauce
  • Shredded Cheddar & Mozzarella Cheese Mix
  • 2 Cups Milk
  • Butter
  • Cornflour
  • Salt
  • Pepper

The only things missing in that picture and the list *points above* are the 250gms of Premium Minced Beef I used in the Lasagne's beef layers, and the Olive Oil I cooked the beef with.


To my surprise, it didn't take very long for me to prepare the sauces. I just had to keep an eye on the cream sauce all the time to ensure that it didn't boil while I focused on cooking the meat sauce. (I prepared both the meat sauce and the cream sauce at the same time. Multi-tasking, bay-beh! =p)


After I was done, I just layered them all up, starting with meat and ending with cream and a sprinkle of cheese. Well... at this point, it didn't look very promising. -_-'




Yuck. No colour wan. T_T




But whatever. What's done is done so
I threw the whole tray into the oven,
and left the oven to do its magic.




And boy, was there magic.
Just look at that! So pretty!




And hey, I made that! Yay, me! =D




But Look is only a third of the battle. Smell's the other third. But the Taste is where it's really going to count. Having said that, the lasagne smelt pretty good coming out of the oven. So, that was promising. Haha. But although it smelt good... I'm proud to say that it tasted grrreat! Haha!


But I guess the most fulfilling part of baking
my first lasagne came when I got this:

"Thanks for dinner, honey. It was awesome."

That was the best part of my lasagne dinner. =)

Ok, enough mush for the day. Haha.
Back to Homemade Lasagne talk.


Whatever it is, in the future, if ever anybody asks if I can bake lasagne from scratch, I can proudly say, "Lasagne? Pfft. Been there, done that. Throw me something harder." HAHAHA. (No, I'm kidding. You know I'm kidding, right? Please don't make me cook anything harder. Thank you veli mush. Over and out.)

16 comments :

Lissa said...

*grins* Congrats!! We always heap on the cheese, though. We're mozzie fans. LOL.

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Lissa
– I put a LOT of cheese into the cream sauce already. Haha. So I went easy on the top. =p

Anonymous said...

so whats it for you next?

Pam Song said...

ATTN: sphyrez
– Haha. We'll see what catches my eye the next time I go grocery shopping alone. =p

Anonymous said...

i'd suggest bake fish :) one of my fav. just wrap up with clingfilm after putting spices. smells great and i'd have that for dinner when i was in UK...home cook food :)

Pam Song said...

ATTN: sphyrez
– Wooo! Sounds yummyyyy... Gimmie recipe! I wouldn't mind trying that at all. =)

Anonymous said...

hmm...as far as i can remember

1. One salmon fillet or any fillet (but personally salmon is da all time fav.)
2. Simmer some sugar and salt on the fillet (marinade) and base of foil (Cut a large sheet)
3. Put fillet gently on the foil.
4. Erm put fish spice? (tarragon, i think) or if you see spices specifically for fish ;)
5. Fold up ends of foil and seal.
6. Pre heat oven for 350 F
7. Put fish+foil into oven and bake for 20-25 mins
8. This step is where you tell me if i'm wrong :P (actually this step is check if fish is cooked!)

Simple as it may be, it served me well during those cold winter months :S

Pam Song said...

ATTN: sphyrez
– Ooo, thanks! I'll definitely try that! Will post then. Haha. Excited-ness!!! =D

Moonfish said...

My~~~ that's a very successful first attempt you've got there! Well done!

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Moonfish
– Haha. Thank you! Thank you!

Lissa said...

Hehe... I like the chewy brown bits of baked cheese, plus our white sauce is the ordinary bechamel sauce. Butter, milk, flour, salt, pepper, ground nutmeg. Works well enough. :)

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Lissa
– If you like cheese, you should put cheese into your sauce!

Lissa said...

But I prefer chewing on it! :P So. Good. Nomnom.

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Lissa
- Cheese in the sauce and cheese on top perhaps?

Lissa said...

Don't want it to be too cheesy either. o.o Can't eat much of the lasagna then. :P

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Lissa
– Amboi! Kacau!

Post a Comment

Talk to me!