Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Kiss & Tell

The most beautiful part of a wedding is that which is usually not talked about or seen in pictures after, but felt deeply and only by the couple being wed. In the case of Aaron and Cherise Hurlburt, it was the simple fact that there would be no more goodbyes for the couple who built and nurtured their relationship over 5 years and great distances.


----------------


SHE SAID: “When the doors to the church opened on our wedding day, all I could see was Aaron waiting to take my hand at the end of the aisle, ready to embark on our journey together as husband and wife. Our five year relationship was a series of hellos and goodbyes, as I lived in New Orleans for two years and Los Angeles for three years of our courtship and Aaron lived in Las Vegas. Most of the kisses we shared have been at an airport or through the travels we experienced together around the world. However, the most memorable kiss we have ever shared was after we were pronounced husband and wife, knowing we would never have to say goodbye and our kiss was symbolic of a new life as one. I would forever be with the love of my life, my biggest supporter and my best friend for an eternity.”

– Cherise Angelle Hurlburt


---------------


HE SAID: “Our courtship lasted five years and earned us approximately fifty thousand frequent flier miles. Cherise was based in New Orleans for the first two years of our relationship and Los Angeles for the remaining thirty-six months. As much as I wanted to be elsewhere, I was in Las Vegas. If you had asked previous to our wedding day, “what was your most memorable kiss?” , we would have had great difficulty naming a specific place or date. Our minds flashback to the many undistinguishable airport terminals because it forever seemed we were constantly coming or going from one another. As cliche as it may sound, we both agree that there was only one kiss, the kiss that ended the distance and our elite frequent flier programs, the kiss we shared at our wedding. I was standing on the alter with my best man when the doors at the front of the church swung open and I saw a silhouette encompassed by a brilliant white light. It was the last time Cherise would ever have to come to me. I cannot but help to think of the metaphor of the church being like a terminal. However, in this instance, when we kissed, a kiss we had practiced on many prior occasions, we were departing not on planes, but from our individual persons. We were one. Never again would we be saying good-bye.”

– Aaron Hurlburt


----------------


MY SAY: Firstly, wow. I'm totally blown away by all that's been said. Secondly, it's funny but somehow... I feel overjoyed for this couple I don't even know. Haha. Odd but true. And lastly, trust me when I say: If there's anybody who understands how much it takes to keep a long-distance relationship going, I'm her.

I've had my fair share of teary-eyed goodbyes at terminals. I've spent thousands and flown for hours just for a handful of days that always seemed too short a time to spend together. I've posted letters. Sent SMSes. Made calls. Video-talked. Basically just been there, done it all, and lived to tell the tale.

Sigh. It's just beyond tough when two people who want to be together have to be apart. Tougher still when it's enforced long stretches of absence over seemingly endless time. 5 years is no joke. Sure, I've been through longer but... really, 5 years is no joke so Mr & Mrs Hurlburt deserve no less than your utter respect. I've done the time. I know.




Congratulations, you two! =)

I'm glad that after 5 years, you finally got your kiss that ended the distance. There – one well-lived chapter's over and done with. Time for Chapter 2. And I can tell already that it's gonna be a better read than the first. =)

XOXO,
Pam Song

3 comments :

ming said...

i can really feeeeeeeel whatever they said in the first part.

i'm just waiting for the last kiss that will end the distance. =p

Jeffro said...

awwwhh.. that was certainly heartfelt.. *feels warm and fuzzy on the inside* I just love when couples are really together as one.. especially on their wedding day, and the days there after... =)

Pam Song said...

ATTN: ming
– Haha. Should I send Edwin a text? =p


ATTN: Jeffro
– Yeah. There's just this concept of "forever" that comes from weddings. Like an eternity of bliss and togetherness. I like that. Makes me gooey. =)

Post a Comment

Talk to me!