Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Bianco – The Review

I never really done food reviews before. I talk about food sometimes. Contrary to popular belief, I eat a LOT of food. But I just don't talk about it much. Food's meant to be tasted... not discussed. Right? But that's gonna change today. Cos today, I'm gonna talk about Bianco.




It's this cosy, little, patio-styled Italian restaurant located at Damansara Perdana (before the first roundabout). Small thing with about a dozen to 15 tables – inside and out – only.




Nice, hor?




They've covered (pun intended)
pretty much everything
...and every weather.




Even the tables. Haha haha haha. (Lame. -_-)

I really like the little stumpy jar of white flowers.
Tiny details please me tremendously.

Now, to the ssserious stuff – THE FOOD.


So since we're at it, let me get things straight, okay? In Malaysia, we're practical people. Driven by a need to have sensations of pleasurable taste and a love for flavourful, mouth-watering nutriments, the taste and quality of the food is E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G. Presentation and ambiance counts little if the food tastes like crap. Especially in Penang – the land with people blessed with taste buds of the highest standards. We happen to be the crème de la crème if you didn't know.


Okay, I think I'm getting carried away.

My date ate the Ravioli Bianco (RM18).




It's not bad. Comes stuffed with mushroom and chicken. Not quite my kinda meal, though. Don't really like too much tomato puree on my pasta. Quite jelak for me. I prefer cream sauce (which also happens to be very jelak-ing but it's more my thing so I always close one eye). That's why I ordered the Salmon Sauce Spaghetti (RM22) instead.




Nice. Came topped with a tablespoon of caviar and some grassy lalang. It's a good thing the portions are pretty small cos this thing got me totally stuffed. It's the cream sauce and the salmon and the caviar. Together, they make a killer dish but they also kill any diet. (Girls, consider yourselves forewarned.) Gotta love the huge chunks of salmon, though.




There was just too much for me to finish so I took a lesson from the master and hid the leftover salmon chunks under my cutlery.




*grin*


Service there was really good. Barely 2 seconds after I finished my meal, the table got cleared and we were asked if we were interested in having dessert.




But quite filling lah so we just got the tab.




As you can see, it was all pretty affordable (can go once a month?) aside from the drinks. Ridiculous. RM5 for a lousy can of Sprite??? Siao. Dim-light robbery man, this one.


All that said, let me break it down for ya.


Location: Low traffic area with a considerable amount of greens and a light breeze. This means Low Noise Levels + Minimal Pollution + Easy Parking + Cool Air. And these are always good things.


Lighting: Dim and romantic but not dark enough to be bad on the eyes should you choose to catch up on your reading if you have no friends absolutely must. *cough*


Music: Crickets. Haha. Kiddin'. The music's good. Not too loud, not too soft – very Goldilocks. Classy stuff that fits the ambiance of the place to a T lah. While I was there, I heard some Italian and English love songs, a number of easy listening tunes that I can't for the life of me remember now, and some instrumental Big Ben pieces. Nice.


Seating Arrangements: This was what I really liked about the place. Tables are considerably distanced from one another. They're all set about 2 feet apart (at least). Not bad, huh? It's just nice cos it gives every group-slash-couple breathing room and sufficient privacy. Plus, with the open-air conditions, you can barely hear the many conversations that are carried out around you. I like that. Plus, you never have to worry about bumping chairs with the person seated at the next table.


Food Portions: Just nice for a dieting girl, definitely possibly too little for a guy. And they don't even cover for it by giving you extra big, white plates covered in decorative sauce. -_-


Pricing: A little pricey for the portions given but... fair considering it's not only the food you're paying for. Aesthetics now come with big price tags. -_- Oh, and the drinks and ridiculously priced. If you're not interested in paying RM5 for a canned drink, bring your own H20. They'll probably call you names behind the counter but... who cares? It beats paying Rm5 for a lousy canned drink. These Bianco people never visit TESCO before.


Available Promotions: 30% off all pastries after 9pm, daily. Doesn't make up for the expensive drinks though. -_-




Go check Bianco out. I give it an 8 over 10. Good enough for me to say that I'll definitely pay them another visit. It's a nice place to chill and catch up with richer friends.

12 comments :

Anonymous said...

RM55 (dinner for two)....sudah kira OK alreadylor. If go to TGI Friday...lagi expensive. Can easily reach 100.

But too bright la the surounding...If you like nice cosy dim surrounding with live Jazz music...try Bagan in Penang (nearby Gurney plaza).....

sheon said...

agree with adrian. 55 for 2 is pretty much the norm in kl.

i need more makan places near penang, as i am based near here....

Pam Song said...

ATTN: adrian
– It's okay for a nice dinner on a nice night out lah. Every day a bit tak boleh loh. And come on. Let's not compare this place to commercialized restaurants like Tony Roma's and Chilis.

Bagan is totally different! It's a different mood altogether. And Bagan feels more... uh, fake than this one. Here, people still stroll in hand in hand while wearing shorts and crummy t-shirts. It's very... comfortable. Like a place where people who are comfortable in each other's company hang out.

And I liked the lighting. I got to read. =p


ATTN: sheon
– You're near Penang? On the island or off? If you're on, you're a lucky one. Haha. I can tip you off on some good hawker stalls and masak places. =)

sheon said...

i'm in penang (mainland)-kedah-perlis and sometimes perak... :)
i'm from KL btw....

err....street food guide(s) got many liao....i want nice cosy restaurant that serves affordable makan....

Pam Song said...

ATTN: sheon
– Ooo. Go to the island lah. A lot of nicer restaurants there. =p You're up there for work?

Hmmm. If you like nice restaurants with good, classy music at affordable prices, you can try Bagan (the one Adrian recommended). It's near Por Tay High School.

Another two from the same group are 68 Kelawai (on Kelawai Road, Pulau Tikus) and 32 The Mansion (near the Toyota Service Centre and E&O). Nice places. Not TOO pricey until can die. =)

You can also visit Raya Sayang for their buffet. It's good but it's about RM100 or more per person. 6 kitchens though. BBQ lobster there is fantastic.

There's another one that I can't remember the name. It's very picturesque wan. Near 7-Eleven, Hillside. Opposite Crown Prince hotel. You can go check it out. It's a house that's been converted into a restaurant. Nice place. Lots of greens and flowing water.

sheon said...

geez...thanks.....i'll definitely go check out some soon!!! good food, nice calming music, soothing decor and view, ...and a good makan partner......dang....i'll pay whatever it costs....

Pam Song said...

ATTN: sheon
– Haha. No worries. =) Hope you find your good makan partner. Haha.

sheon said...

:) good partners hard to come by.. eheheh....

Pam Song said...

ATTN: sheon
– Haha. No kiddin. Very hard.

Unknown said...

RM5 is not expensive for a drink uncle. its a norm. otherwise how are rest going to make money. jus like some ppl pay RM350 for a bottle of liquor in clubs wen u can get a bottle below RM100 at TMC. so u see, u are paying for the experience, the whole package. otherwise....stay home, cook urself and eat in front of the tv.....and see if any (decent) girl would wanna date u.....

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Dhillon
– Haha. Actually... I'm not an uncle. And I still think that RM5 is pretty ex for a can of soft drink. And about that RM350 bottle of liquor? Well... that's why I don't club. Nor do I drink. Haha. I don't see the point of paying good money to get sloshed.

But... I get your point about paying for the ambiance and enjoying the environment. That's why I go there as often as I do. Haha. =p

Do you frequent the place? It's nice.

Unknown said...

yeah, i go there often...food is great and its cheap too for the quality u get...put it tis way, if it aint worth the weight/fats, dont put it into ur mouth....for bianco i clean up the plate

Post a Comment

Talk to me!