Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Nooks And Crannies In Places And Spaces

Last week, the water heater in our room died. Like, it just... died. No red light, no hot water, no nothing, no matter what! So for the first couple of days when I was alone, I sucked it up – I showered with cold water. Not that the water was all that cold, of course. Thankfully the weather was playing nice at the time unlike the crazy winds and rains we've been receiving all this week. #smallmercies


But when The Husband came back to Penang over the weekend, he migrated our stuff to the spare toilet across the upstairs landing (he's used it once or twice before but I haven't ever so I never thought of ever bathing there) and we started taking our baths and showers there instead. Because of this migration, we had glorious hot water again. Ahh, life was good. <3


Well, today, the electricians came over to the house to give our heater switch a fixing (thanks to Mama) and just like that, hot water returned to our shared bathroom. Because of that, I suddenly had the luxury of enjoying a relaxing hot shower in the comfort of my own bathroom again. But while running between the two bathrooms to re-migrate our stuff back to where they came from earlier, I remembered a conversation The Husband and I shared last week.


(Tell you about it at the end of the post.
Now, I tell you background story first. =p)


You see, when I started using the spare bathroom, I noticed that it was actually a little bigger than ours. More than a few feet bigger, actually. Because of that, the layout of the shower stall was a little different. It was bigger, rectangular, and had about 2 extra feet in length...


 The rectangular shower stall in the spare bathroom.


...while ours was smaller and just
a boring ol' square in dimension.  


Our square shower stall.


I wonder why I never noticed this before (eye for detail – FAIL!) although I've used our bathroom all this while and have peeked into the spare one ever so often whenever we're in that other room. Hmmm...


 Our bathroom with the square shower stall.


 The spare bathroom with the rectangular shower stall.



Anyway, from last week's bathroom migration experience, I began to realise that I kinda like the layout of the shower stall in that spare bathroom. So I told The Husband about it...


Pam Song: Eh, did you realise that that other bathroom is different?

The Husband: Yeah.

Pam Song: You knew that it was bigger than ours?


The Husband: Yeah.


Pam Song: *gushes* The shower stall also bigger, right?? And one part summore hidden by the wall wan! Even if the door is open, you can't see who's inside unless you step right in past the main bathroom door! So nice, right?? I like big bathrooms like that.

The Husband: *matter-of-fact-ly* Dun bluff lah. You don't like it cos it's bigger. You like it cos of that walled up corner where you can hide in the bathroom.


Bwahahahaha. Busteddd!!


 The hidden area in the spare bathroom's shower stall.


I just didn't want to say it outright
cos I knew he'd think I was mad. 

Shouldn't have bothered though.

My husband knows me too well. <3


I love, love, love hidden corners, weird angles and odd nooks and crannies in the rooms and spaces I occupy. I've just got a thing for them. And it's always been the case with me. From the time I was living in the house I came home to as a baby (12P, Jalan Delima!), right up to the many places and spaces I looked for when I was renting rooms down in KL throughout my college/uni/MCKL days.


If I was an architect with a limitless budget and a home to redesign, I'd design every room with fitted alcove cabinets and shelves. I'd make sure my other cabinets, shelves, drawers and wardrobes fit so seamlessly into my walls and surrounding ID that you wouldn't even know they were there if I didn't point them out to you.


There would be hidden doors that would lead into those rooms in a house that would boast a million split-levels that would drive the average human nuts from all the nips and dips in the flooring in rooms and between rooms. (@_@ "Would" overdose!) I'd also probably have a secret passageways or two and have some two-way mirrors thrown in to the mix just for kicks. And a whole buncha invisi-safes hidden behind paintings, plug points, wall clocks and potted plants!


*blink blink*

I think I grew up reading too many
mystery and Famous Five novels. @_@

6 comments :

Lissa said...

ME TOO! I actually want secret passageways and rooms in my home. HAHA. I can keep dreaming la. :P

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Lissa
– Haha. Then we can BOTH dream together cos it sure ain't happening for me. =p

Lissa said...

*sigh* Such a pity.

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Lissa
– You still got hope! When you get married, make sure you find a house like that! =p

Lissa said...

With secret passages? Lulz. That's almost impossible... unless I get some 18th-19th century house in Europe. :P

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Lissa
- Why not? Go for it! Hahaha. Unless you really wanna live in Malaysia all your life and never venture out to build a life elsewhere.

Alah... even if cannot hor... just make sure you get a place where the rooms are really really big then start blocking up spaces and creating fake walls so you can build your own catacomb between the spaces. =p

Post a Comment

Talk to me!