Thursday, July 02, 2009

"Superman" Does It Again

First, I blogged about Influenza A(H1N1) being present at Urbanscapes. In about an hour, I got a reply. Upon reading what that said respondent had to say in his reply, I felt compelled to respond to the matter with a follow-up post entitled, "You Think What? You Superman Ah?" Did it to dispel the belief that the presence of Influenza A(H1N1) at Urbanscapes was no cause for concern.


That's the background story.


Well, looks like some people enjoy picking kutus out of monkey hair as much as I do cos just a couple of hours ago, I got another reply from the same dude. An equally insolent and vacuous one, I might add. So... here's me returning the favour by picking through his hair (he just trimmed it) for pesky kutu to kill. Enjoy the ride, friends. It's going to get bumpy.


Let's begin with the massive cover-up he tried to pull.




Firstly, I never once said that he WAS going around spreading the disease. He inferred that and got touchy. Anyways, no biggie. I can humour a child. So... back to the subject at hand. He SAYS that he wasn't "being so stupid and spreading the illness to others." That's what he SAYS lah, right? Well, if so, that would mean that he would have to have quarantined himself or at least he would have done his best to stay away from others, correct?


Well, Superman here did nothing
of the sort. Check this out:


Click here to read from source.


That post closed with this message:


Same link as above.


So... with the information obtained from Superman's very own blog post dated 30 June 2009, I am able to conclude that:


1. He was still feeling under the weather on 30 June 2009.

2. He admits that he could possibly have contracted H1N1.

3. He hasn't completed his recovery process.



Wait. I'm not done with the list. Remember how Superman said that he wasn't "being so stupid and spreading the illness to others"? Well here's to not "being so stupid and spreading the illness to others":


4. Monday, 29 June 2009: His first day back at college for class. HE WENT FOR IT. Can kap lui and say no hot chicks summore.

5.
Tuesday, 30 June 2009: He enjoyed dim sum with his friend and his friend's gf.


And that's only what he tells us on his blog.
Heh. Way to go with the self-quarantine, dude.


You know, you totally proved me wrong, Superman. You didn't end up "being so stupid and spreading the illness to others." AT ALL. So, rock on! Malaysia's counting on you to lead its next generation to a full blown H1N1 epidemic. Woo hoo!


I hope I shook your faith
in Superman's words with that.
Don't worry. The party's not over.
There's more where that came from.

Okay, let's see.
What else should I deal with next.

Oh yes. Superman's "superb"
command of the English Language.


Sigh. This is a tough one. I don't particularly enjoy tearing into people's language capabilities but... I think with this one, I don't quite have a choice. You see, his entire post is sprinkled with stuff like, "If you were to re-read again, you will get what I mean" and "I REPEAT!" when I'm thinking... yo, dude. I know what I read first time around. I don't need to "re-read" anything. What I'm saying is that the stuff you're putting out just ain't jiving with my left brain. That's all. And if anything, your arguments are flawed because YOUR command of the English Language doesn't seem, IMHO, entirely sound.


Let me give guys you a simple
2-sentence example from his post:




Like, WTH!? If scientists the world over say that H1N1 is no more dangerous than the seasonal flu, how does that equate to the seasonal flu being far worse an epidemic than H1N1??? Boy, do you even know what you said? Or did you not understand the original document presented? That is a fallacy, wei! And you of all people should not have made that mistake. After all, you intend to be a journalist, do you not? Twisting and manipulating what is said in the news is unacceptable. Unacceptable when you're reporting facts, and unacceptable when you're firstly, arguing with me about principles.


Is it a principle of yours to fight on unjust grounds for the mere sake of proving yourself right? (Proving yourself right and proving others wrong are totally different things altogether.) Is it also a principle of yours to subject facts to your partial interpretation and manipulate it so as to win an argument? Hmmm. Then I don't see what we're arguing about now cos my argument is based on what's REAL. And what's LEGITIMATE. Yours, on the other hand, seem just a tad... hmmm, misinterpreted to me.


Did that disintegrate his argument
(and his credibility) further? I hope so.

Moving on to more pressing matters:
The kids at school.




My answer to your first question is YES.


You are a child yourself. You wouldn't understand it just yet. I am no mother myself but I believe that the time I've spent with mothers has shown me but one thing: ALL GOOD MOTHERS WANT THE BEST FOR THEIR CHILDREN. They want their children to be safe. Healthy. Protected. ALIVE. So go ahead and ask any GOOD mother if she would be okay with her children contracting H1N1 at school. Tell her not to worry cos they won't die from it. If she says, "Yes," then I'll say, "Congratulations, you just found yourself a bad mother to interview for your next post."


But let's not forget that you added that...




Hmmm. You said that practicing the quarantine method for containing a disease is unnecessary if only 1 bad apple lies in the basket. (Haha. An apple a day keeps the doctor away. We should all start eating apples right now!) Well, wake up, boy. If this strain of influenza is HIGHLY CONTAGIOUS, tell me, how else do you contain it if not for temporarily closing down vicinities or classes??


And you say that people should only take precautions if they've got underlying diseases to worry about. These are kids you're talking about. Do you really think that they'll wear their masks all day if they're at school? Heck, even a 2nd-year Diploma student as yourself didn't bother with a mask though you were feeling under the weather! What else would you expect from children younger and more immature than yourself?? They'll probably lastik each other with the mask elastics before they even think of putting it on.


That aside, what if people aren't fully aware or conscious that they're weak? Take for instance, me. I don't think that I'm exceptionally weak but I also know that with my working schedule and sleeping hours, I can't possibly be at my best in terms of my immunity and resistance. But hey! I don't have lung diseases to worry about, nor am I suffering from TIBI or anything mah. Still need to worry meh? OF COURSE! I'd be incredibly chowderheaded to take zero precautions because I don't have underlying respiratory diseases or simply because I think I'm healthy.


La la la. What's next?

Ahh, yes. This next one should be
an interesting one to debate.




It concerns the smarts of bloggers who scour the blogosphere for information on H1N1. Heh heh. Superman here says in his post that, "if people who are smart enough, they can interpreted that... bla bla bla." (Sorry, Superman. I cannot than the grammar.)


Hmmm. So means he assumes that we're all smart, right? That we'll be able to interpret things ourselves based on what we read and hear from the news, from blogs, from the Internet or from the radio, right? Well... then what is this about him thinking we're all too moronic to understand that we won't die from H1N1???


C'mon lah, Superman. You said it yourself when it worked to your advantage. When you thought that it would boost your argument. But then now, you're assuming that we're all too stupid to understand that H1N1's MO is just like that of HIV+ AIDS? Pfft. Talk about double standards, man.


But smarts only become a factor when people are in the know. YOU may know you're ill. But what about the pregnant woman standing next to you at the payment counter? How can she be SMART enough to take precautions when she's not even aware that the guy standing behind her is sick?? Or that boy who visited the toilet stall after you did. (The virus now stays active for 4 hours without a host.) How can he be SMART enough to know not to touch the door handle you held if he didn't know that the boy who went in before him was ill??


Regardless of what argument you make, the lack of self-quarantine when you're in doubt of your health status is just plain selfish! It's the responsibility of the one who has the flu to help contain it. You can't dump that responsibility on every other person simply because you're too unfazed about the situation to care.


And Superman, my readers are smart people. I know that for a fact because those who frequent my blog and leave comments are those with very commendable command of the English Language and they make sense. (Most of the time lah. Unless they plan to annoy the hell out of me by being irritatingly insolent. -_-')


Now, I'm going to do what you've been doing. I'm going to assume that "if people who are smart enough, they can interpreted that" death is not directly caused by H1N1. I'm going to assume that we all KNOW that if you do face death, it is because of underlying respiratory diseases like asthma or a battered immune system you're sporting.


We're not the morons here, Superman. Those who refuse to see that prevention is better than cure when it comes to Influenza A(H1N1) are the real morons. What's your mirror telling you?

19 comments :

Dillon said...

wow....pam finally blows her top!

Dillon said...

Omg, tis da dude that was highlighted in The Star regarding blogging.

Storyteller said...

I think he chicken-shit. Scared to find out. Else why wouldn't he want to. Since it doesn't matter to him. If me ar, sure go test. Then later can brag ma, I kena super horrible disease and survived k. That's the real Superman...

This one confirm chicken-shit

The Author said...

Pam is scarrrriiieeeeeee.. Don ever pick on my rotten engrish =X

But anyway i like this post because at least it is putting some sense, i hope it does la.. to some people's mind.

test said...

Walao Blog war ! Cool

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Dillon
– Haha. Not blow my top lah. Was already on edge all day so he kinda ended up getting in the line of fire with his response to my very first post. Haha.

But this couldn't-care-less attitude is not something I take lightly lah. If everybody thinks this way, then die lah! All of us healthy people are so going to end up sick.

He may be highlighted in The Star but he obviously isn't a very credible source of news.


ATTN: Storyteller
– Yeah! I'd totally wanna know and say that I had it and beat it.


ATTN: Jan
– Haha. You haven't given me reason to pick on you. Haha. But I won't pick if it's personal wan lah. Only cos this wan is bigger than just you and me. This is misleading the public into believing that something big is a small kuchi problem.

I hope it strikes a chord with him lah. But knowing how these people are, I doubt it will. He will probably think that I'm arguing for the sake of winning. I'm fighting to prove a point. Totally different.

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Spectre
– Haha. Not blog war lah. Information war. I know "Superman" in real life wan. His name is Nigel. =)

kellster said...

he appeared in the newspaper and this is how he wants to represent his blog regarding such a important case that even the nation is concerned?

IS bcos ppl like this, everyone takes things lightly..so therefore from a tiny problem it becomes huge.
not because of rumours or being paranoid but because lack of self action from people.

it's just plain disgusting.

Melsong said...

It's a pity recklessness comes with a lot of collateral damage. Innocent victims suffer from someone else's irresponsibility.

BTW, why lose sleep writing this post to put the poor misguided soul back on the right path?

All the time and effort is wasted. Sure unappreciated wan.

Pam Song said...

ATTN: kellster
– He's young and naive. We all were at some point in our lives. The difference is that he has a voice in the blogosphere. What we did then only affected us and the immediate people who came in contact with us. Now, what he's doing is leading others astray! And especially when it comes to health, I can't have that. (Darn, this messiah complex.) So since I have a voice in the blogosphere, too. I need to speak up. Somebody's gotta do the dirty work.

It's sad that there are people who take this lightly. I'll probably take some pictures of some things I read in the news today and post it up. Just as an FYI.

Not only is it disgusting. It's disturbing.


ATTN: Melsong
– Yeah. Collateral damage. That's what happens.

Anyways, I didn't write all this to put that one person back on the right path. I wrote this for EVERYBODY who read what he had to say and was misguided by his words. This is bigger than just him and myself, Mee. If we're talking about him not being socially responsible for going to the doctor, then I shouldn't be a hypocrite, too. If this is wrong, I need to be socially responsible by standing up and speaking the truth.

Melsong said...

Anyway, I'm proud of you. It's always important to have the big picture perspective 'cos no man is an island.

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Melsong
– Thanks for being supportive, Mee. Yeah, Big Picture all the way. Looks like Dee rubbed off on me. =p

David Cheong said...

Fame got to him, tsk tsk

Pam Song said...

ATTN: David Cheong
– Ooo, you think so too?! Wow. I just heard from another friend of ours and that person shares the same sentiment!

CWKen said...

I would like to share my sentiments after reading all the heated debate in this episode of "Innit Wars"

I agree with what DSX said in the latest comment of http://innit.nuffnang.com/view.php?id=104293. I am not sure if anyone actually pays attention to him but seems to me that is the case.

What I personally think about the H1N1 outbreak is:
1. Do our part and being a responsible citizen. Do check ups should any symptoms appear. Quarantine oneself where necessary or use a facial mask if one thinks that they have come in in contact with possible case (i.e. flight passengers)
2. Keep yourself healthy and fit. Drink more water, rest more etc etc.

There's no reason for anyone to be panic, which I assume people do simply because there's no cure for it yet. Yes, prevention is better than cure. Since it is airborne, there's no better way to prevent it but to just stay at home but life has to go on, the economy has to run.

Despite seeing the points being made by both respective debaters here, I can't help but seeing the argument being personal and emotionally driven rather than purely factual and informative. It is sad to see a possible good argument turning a little ugly with name-calling and personal attacks, something ungraceful in my humble opinion.

Call me naive but I always believe a humble and graceful argument wins the most listeners.

Pam Song said...

ATTN: CWKen
– Haha. This isn't a blog war, CWKen. Barely. "Superman" a.k.a Flyguy a.k.a Nigel Tee and I are friends in real life. This is just arguing about facts. Nothing personal, just preference and principles.

And yes, I did read that comment. Seeing that it was Nigel's innit, I left it to him to reply. It's only right to do so.

Thing is... you're right. A humble and graceful argument wins the most listeners. The problem here is that logic and common sense is sometimes denied its place in the argument. And to me, especially in this particular case where the welfare of the people is concerned, that's a bigger sacrifice to make than grace.

I'm not asking people to panic. I'm saying that people know they won't die from H1N1. But at the same time, we shouldn't deny the fact that ignorance isn't an option either. Not going to see the doc when one is ill, is ignorance. Going out in public when one is uncertain about one's health status, is ignorance.

Life goes on. But only for others who have not succumbed to flu or to H1N1. Because if you are truly to believe that life goes on for EVERYBODY even if they're sick, then you're being naive enough to believe that we're all an indestructible society that can withstand anything. We've got to do what we can, too. And precautions are a necessary step in managing the spread of H1N1.

Let me dissect his arguments for you. He wanted to prove himself right. Me, I wanted to prove that his point of view is biased and that his word should not be taken as law. That's why all I extracted from his post were to discredit his points and show people that there's another side to the story. Not to prove myself right.

CincauHangus.com said...

so long wan this post.. and it's still the first day of july... *kinda, 2nd day de.*

yapthomas said...

Congratulation! You've used up your quota for the week!...

Pam Song said...

ATTN: CincauHangus.com
– Haha. 2nd day lah. And by the time I reply your comment, it's the 3rd day. =p


ATTN: yapthomas
– Hahaha. I know, right??? Tireds wei. -_-''' I think I'm getting too old for all this.

Post a Comment

Talk to me!