Wednesday, July 08, 2009

The Memorial Service Of Michael Jackson (1958-2009): Live At Staples Center, LA

Stream it here or follow the tweets.


--------------
MY NOTES:
--------------
* FYI, my notes are being updated live.
Paragraphing topical, not chronological.



John Mayer didn't sing. He went instrumental and played the lead of Human Nature on an electric guitar. Brooke Shields captured the very essence of MJ's personality like a true friend. Beautifully heartfelt and full of raw emotion, her eulogy brought me to tears. I guess eulogies make it easy to know who really knows the man behind the sequined glove. ("Eyes are blind; you have to look with your heart. Sometimes, the most important things are invisible." "Smile though your heart is aching.") Usher sang a beautiful rendition of MJ's Gone Too Soon. He cried; I cried.


Mariah Carey ad libbed, "Thank you, Jesus," at the end of her I'll Be There duet with Trey Lorenz. Queen Latifah said, "He came from the Creator..." Crooner Lionel Richie sang Jesus Is Love. The great Stevie Wonder said, "I do know that God is good. And as much as we need Michael here with us, God must have needed him far more." Retired professional basketball player Magic Johnson closed his eulogy with, "May God continue to bless you, Michael."


Some African American lady dived into Romans 8:39 (amongst other verses) – "The love of God which is in Christ Jesus... Michael's love was inspired by the love of God..." Some other guy whose name I (also) didn't catch said, "He is not done. Because there's life after this... God bless you." His brother (the only one who seemed at all affected by MJ's death) said, "The Lord has a purpose for everything... You crossed this world in the Lord's name." The memorial was closed with a prayer by whom I assume is a pastor.


"The King of Pop must now
bow his knee to the King of Kings."


--------- End ---------


If you didn't catch this live, it's showing again on 8TV later tonight (Wednesday, 8 July 2009) at 10:15PM. Otherwise, there's always YouTube. Whatever you do, don't miss Brooke Shields' eulogy.

5 comments :

Pam Song said...

ATTN: - nithya -
– Did you stay up to watch?

TheJessicat said...

lol pam, my maid cried watching it

Little Ms Midnight said...

I watched! Frankly, the memorial was not as great as it supposed to be. I mean he is the king of pop, a legend. I thought they should do some performance to really make people remember MJ like those dance created by MJ, songs and all not just singing sad song, saying how much they would miss him.

Pam Song said...

ATTN: ~ J E SS I C A . T
– Hahaha. Well, I cried watching it, too. =p Your maid and I same same.


ATTN: Chili Crab
– I guess it wouldn't be too tasteful to turn it into a concert either. So they just sang his songs as a tribute to him. The lack of dance didn't really make me feel like they didn't do him justice. They did put pictures of him in his moves though. Haha. Guess it'll have to do.

nithyakuthiah said...

Yes I watched it. Cried like a baby. Eyes swollen. Heart heavy. Can't get the bit Paris Jackson spoke outta my head.

Post a Comment

Talk to me!