Saturday, February 03, 2007

Don't Forget To Remember Me

Artist: Carrie Underwood
Song Title: Don't Forget To Remember Me



18 years had come and gone
For momma they flew by
But for me they drug on and on
We were loadin' up that Chevy, both tryin' not to cry
Momma kept on talkin', puttin' off good-bye
Then she took my hand and said
Baby don't forget

Before you hit the highway you better stop for gas
And there's a 50 in the ashtray in case you run short on cash
Here's a map and here's a Bible if you ever lose your way
Just one more thing before you leave
Don't forget to remember me

This downtown apartment sure makes me miss home
And those bills there on the counter
Keep telling me I'm on my own
And just like every Sunday I call momma up last night
And even when it's not, I tell her everything's alright
Before we hung up I said
Hey Momma, don't forget

To tell my baby sister I'll see her in the fall
And tell mee-maw that I miss her, yeah, I should give her a call
And make sure you tell Daddy that I'm still his little girl
Yeah I still feel like I'm where I'm supposed to be
But don't forget to remember me

Tonight I find myself kneelin' by the bed to pray
I haven't done this in a while
So I don't know what to say
But Lord, I feel so small sometimes in this big old place
Yeah I know there's more important things
But don't forget to remember me
Don't forget to remember me


I love this song. It's one of the few around without a lyrical Chorus. Containing only climaxes in the melody that resemble a Chorus, it's different. I like different. I guess this isn't the first I've heard of Chorus-less songs. I believe I've blogged one such song before. I just can't seem to remember which one. Haha. Nevertheless, this song's nice. Very nice.


It's about people who leave home for a life away from home. Some leave for study, and some leave for work. In this case, it's study, I think. Considering the girl's only 18 when she leaves home. Kinda reminds me of myself. Haha. A month and a half before I left home, I just turned 17. Wasn't planning on leaving home so soon but turns out plans changed and what I had in mind didn't quite work out as well as the new plan did. The result? Mummy cried buckets. Ahhh, memories, memories.


Anyways, back to the story at hand. Whatever the reason may be (study or work), people leave their homes in hopes of achieving their dreams of living a better life in a better place. With that, they struggle along their way, leaving behind loved ones, friends and a life of comfort and security. Sigh. Sounds depressing, doesn't it? But in all honesty, facing the big bad world ain't that bad at all. To me, at least. Really. You'll survive. The best advice is, after all, in this song.


"Here's a map and here's a Bible if you ever lose your way"


I love this line. It's true, you know. I've lost my way more times than I can count. Not that I'm proud of it, but to be honest about it, I have. And I've come to realise that no matter how dark the situation and no matter how deep in mud you've got yourself stuck in, when you bring God into the picture, everything becomes easier to bear. All you have to do is turn to Him. He'll handle the rest. He gives you direction. He gives you purpose for the journey. He gives you strength to go along your way. The Bible's the greatest map to getting your way through Life.


"Momma kept on talkin', puttin' off good-bye"


*snicker*


Mothers share a special bond with their children. They are connected in ways that Daddies never are. Perhaps it's because they carried us for 9 months. I don't know. Maybe it's because women are emotional creatures who often sweep the areas around them for some sort of emotional connection with another. Yeah, Mummies are special. And they never want to say "Goodbye" if they ever get you on the phone.


"And make sure you tell Daddy that I'm still his little girl "


Little girls grow up sooner or later. Cute as they may be, they do that, don't they? They grow up, leaving behind their pretty frocks, tiny teacups, gummy bears and colourful scrunchies. They become whatever they were born to become… but only in the eyes of the rest of the world that looks on. Somehow, Daddy's eyes are always oblivious to the little details that come with "growing up". Nope, his eyes never see it. And his heart never tells him otherwise.


Always Dee's little girl. No matter what.


"Don't forget to remember me"


No matter how many years go by, no matter how much older we are today, and no matter how grown-up we appear to be, we still want to be remembered by the people we love – we want to be kept close to heart, in mind and in thought. Don't forget to remember me.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Talk to me!