Thursday, October 18, 2007

Holiday Derangements

I can't decide if holidays are good or bad.


I mean, don't get me wrong. I love holidays. It's kinda like the world finally realises that you've been slaving your life away like a sorry ol' dog and decides to give you a good time off from your daily routine in a thankless job. You, then, proceed to do nothing productive whatsoever while on holiday, in an attempt to make up for all those late nights at the office and the many stressful times you've rushed to meet a crazy deadline. Pfft. A vain attempt, really, if you ask me.


But but but... before I get into that,
let me explain myself.


I guess that, in essence, there is some measure of good in having holidays. But let's not be narrow-minded or blinded to the other issues that arise prior to that holiday we love so much, alright? There's more to going on a holiday than meets the eye. The problem is the amount of pre-holiday preparation that goes into actually having a holiday in the first place. It's insane, really! Downright insane.


There's the mad rush to meet all holiday-season deadlines before the suppliers and clients head off for their break. Why? Cos if you don't send your stuff over before they leave, it's YOUR FAULT, not theirs. Gosh, it'd be a crime to think otherwise. Didn't you know? Client's are perfect and always without fault, while suppliers... well, they just couldn't care less cos it ain't any of their asses on the line.


Agency Rules: Client wins. Supplier laughs.
Suits steam. Traffic blows his top.
Creatives cry... or just buat tak tau.

*grin*


So, yeah. That's the sucky part. Plus, there's no vacation after the holiday. That doesn't help in the least because it's not as though things go back to the pleasant way they were before the pre-holiday mad rush. No, no. That would be asking for too much. Upon returning from your holiday, you're greeted by a glorious mountain of JRs, clearly signifying that nobody has any respect for the sanctity of post-holiday stretches. (They also don't care much for the trees or for saving the environment, from the looks of things.)


And of course, with JRs, there's work. So with that begins the SECOND mad rush to meet those blasted deadlines you've missed. Missed!? Yes, missed. Thinking you're not supposed to have missed any deadlines since you rushed everything out just before the hols? Well, my friends, you'd be surprised at what them necktie people have got up their sleeves to hound you no end. Right till you're crying synonyms and throwing up adjectives. Sigh. Plus, post-holiday rush always puts clients right smack in their element and, boy, do they shine.


I'm on my first day at work after Raya
and I already need another holiday. =(

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Talk to me!