Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Sepuluh Kali Muar-malat

There's just something about small towns and its people.


Everybody talks to everybody. That's probably because everybody knows everybody else, of course. But if you're not apart of that "everybody", they know it, too. And they ask you about it. After that, they make it known to the world that you're the alien in the population, whilst keeping their cheery disposition.


Anyhew, that's not what I'm writing about. I paid Muar a visit and I learned some things about Muar-ians. So here I am, preparing myself to share my discoveries with you lot. Don't worry, I am a teacher who strongly believes in using visual aids so there'll be lots of pictures for you to feast your eyes on. Aside from making things more interesting for you, dear reader, it also speeds up the learning process and aids memory recall. Should you ever find yourself needing to talk about Muar, you can do so and even pretend you've been there before. The day will come and you'll thank me for it. Don't worry, I'll wait.


So here we go.


1. They don't need doors. It's all there for aesthetic purposes. For show only. Nobody keeps their doors locked and everybody invites everybody (friend and stranger alike) into their houses for free drinks and a look-see. It feels just like Canada. Only it's a hundred times hotter, the people aren't as fair, and a whole lot of Teochew gets thrown around.





2. They've got bookstores ala the 1900s. The books are ancient, I tell you. Makes me wonder if the pages are made from papyrus. No kidding. They're practically prehistoric. Written by dinosaurs that roamed the Earth during the days of old. Buy some if you're ever in town and head over to your local flea market and sell them to those coke bottle/stamp/first day cover collectors. You'll be rich in no time. These bookstores are cash cows waiting to be milked. They've even got stickers for sale – the kind of stickers you don't see anymore. If you can't get their parents to buy your old books, con the kids. They've seen less of the world. You'd earn a fortune!







3. All blocks are colour-coded to perfection. Yellow, green, blue, pink – you name the colour, they've got it. I can't decide if it's cool or just plain weird. Borderline psychotic, maybe. Check out that bookstore pic above. That's the blue row. =p


4. They've got the best Mee Pok on the planet! I'm not even sure if there's Mee Pok anywhere else on the planet but that's besides the point. My point is that it's absolutely fab. It reminds me of Wan Ton Mee... except without the wanton, of course. And the meat's in a slightly different form lah. But who cares, right? Anyway, I didn't manage to capture the seaweed-fishball soup that comes with it but that's superb, too.




5. They have the smallest fishballs in the world. It comes with the Mee Pok. It's bite-sized with a diameter less than that of a 10 sen coin. Who says Walls Mini Poppers and KFC Chicken Poppers are revolutionary or special in any way? They've got Fish Ball Poppers in Muar, man! And I'll bet these tiny things came out long before any commercialized popper. Talk about copycatting, yo.




6. They've still got old school cakes and biscuits for sale. And they've got a whole array, too! Endless choices of colourful munchies to whet your post-meal appetite and feed your mouth-itch. Probably very unhealthy but tasty, nonetheless.






7. They still have aiskrim potong. It's pretty disgusting when you think about it cos the guy's got dirty hands and filthy nails but it's not like we all care if it's a hot day, right? And for me, it was a hot day. (WARNING: Choking hazard. Please remove paper wrapping before consuming your aiskrim potong.)






8. Shoes are dirt cheap. Like D.I.R.T cheap. I kid you not. RM10 for a pair of canvas shoes? Mana boleh cari ini mia bargain?! It's like Lelong Corner except that them lelong prices are not in any corners. They're everywhere!



9. Somehow, everything looks quaint. It's odd but everything just looks unusually old-fashioned. I can't decide if it's picturesque or just old-world. I mean, if I were a tourist from a land far far away, I think I'd probably be more excited about everything being old. But since I'm just a 2-drive from the town, I think I'd prefer it if somethings eventually became a little more modernized.





10. Buddha works the shift. Apparently, he's only on duty between 7 in the morning to 12 midnight. Therefore, please call during his working hours or your three wishes* (* Terms and conditions apply.) will never ever be granted. Be considerate and you will be greatly rewarded for not disrupting his busy wish-granting schedule. See? Every industry's got its troubles and pitfalls so don't complain about your boring 9 to 5 job. It ain't even easy being Buddha these days. Hmmm. I also wonder how much he gets paid for manning the parking lot. =p




Muar rocks.

26 comments :

estherlauderlyn said...

MUAR?! you wentto muar with shen is it!! >(

never invite HUH! i miss the foood :(

Pam Song said...

What!? What!? Wanna fight issit now!? You weren't even around so what are you griping on and on about? Tsk tsk. Yes yes, I love Mee Pok.

Melsong said...

Muar is super colourful town from your pictures.

Pam Song said...

There really is beauty in everything, right? =)

Anonymous said...

ermm... just wondering where did you see the "buddha bless you"?? gotta find it out when i'm free. haha..

Pam Song said...

It was at some back alley leh. I'm not from Muar so I'm sorta blur about this. Haha.

Anyhew, who're you? New reader?

Anonymous said...

erm.. not really a new reader. i also don't know how i ended up here and accidentally read your blog about Muar. Can't remember already. haha..

Maybe i can try to recall.. but no guarantee. ^^"

hmm.. i just realized i forgot to say "hi"!

Pam Song said...

Ooo. So you've been following Tinki Talks? How nice. Well, it's good to know that people who stumble onto my blog actually appreciate it enough to come back... even if not daily but once in awhile. =)

Anonymous said...

Yah..! really really ONCE IN A WHILE! lolz...
it has been 3 months since the last time i checked out your blog. You blog very often.. everyday?
Haven't got time to read your updated post. Been busy lately.
What 'bout you? How's life lately?

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Gavin-Giin
– WHOA. o_0

You like super once in a while, man. Haha. 3 months!? I must have had about a hundred posts or more that you missed already! Haha.

Yeah, I try to blog everyday. Usually more than a couple of times a day. I only don't post when I'm super tired or when I'm out of town with no connection. Haha. Like the last few days. Was on holiday in Bangkok with no comp. Suffer, man.

Life's good. Merry Christmas! And in case you don't drop by till Feb, Happy New Year! Happy Chinese New Year! Happy Valentine's! HAHA.

Anonymous said...

Hi..! here i am again... hehe.
How's life there? Happy Chinese New Year~!!! Enjoy this festive and your holiday? Just in case if i don't come back in the near future.. happy V'day to you~!
Cheers. ;)

Pam Song said...

ATTN: gavin-giin
– Haha. You're a real funny one. You've missed out on a lot, dude. You in the army or something? Haha.

Anyway, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, Happy Chinese New Year and Happy Valentine's Day!

And since we're at it, Happy Teacher's Day. I'm only expecting to see you rear your head in May. HAHA. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Nope.. i'm not in the army, but military. LoLz... Just kidding. =P
Yes.. i'm back again~! haha.. how's life? Saw some of your photos in your blog. Seems that you had a bad day with your tyre right? hehe..
Oh ya..! i also notice that you have beautiful dimple! You got them on the both side of your faces? It's beautiful! ;) (i don't really know how you look like before this. kakaka..)

By the way, i'm earlier than the time you expecting me to appear! hahaha.. so.. should be Happy April's Fool... and also Happy Birhtday to me! keke..

Cheers~!

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Gavin-giin
– Haha. Kidding or no kidding, when it comes to the army and the military, it's the same diff to me. Haha.

And yeah, I had a puncture. A bad one. Changing it tomorrow. =p

Me no likes my dimples. =( Not that much anyways. Haha. I've gotten used to them but they're just... ok to me. And many ppl didn't know how I looked like before I went on my bimbo rampage. Haha.

And yes, you ARE early! Amazing. How come???

p/s: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Anonymous said...

Hmm... me again~! Now is like.. once in a month? haha.. lolz!
Well.. same situation with one of the comment i left in December (in fact, there's only one in December). I'm in airport again! hahaha..
Like a habit??? Before leaving Malaysia must log on into your blog. =P
How's life lately? According to your latest posts.. Seems you've met up with some people! Managed to get some new friends? oh ya! try to love your dimples. They look beautiful! (at least before i see them in real. =P)
Will come back to ya soon. Hopefully not too long. keke..

p/s: My birthday is one day before labour day. Buy me a card? lol..

Pam Song said...

ATTN: gavin-giin
– Hey there! Good to have you back. And increased frequency is good! Haha. It's good to know that my blog has such a pull factor at airports. =p

Life's been good. Tired out with work and may look for an escape soon. But till then, it's work work work. My 20-hour workdays are killing me.

And it's killing the semi-social life I have. Had. But yes, I managed to meet up with a bunch of bloggers lately. A post on that coming up tmr. Tmr night to be exact. =)

Haha. My dimples? I'll try liking them. Gets tough sometimes. Haha. Have a safe trip!

p/s: Happy be-early birthday! I'd send you a card but I wouldn't know where to mail it to. =p

Anonymous said...

Hi~! Me again.. How's life? It's already more than a month after my birthday, and till now only your wishes to me is delivered. lolz!

Hey..! i think i saw you in Mid Valley. But i'm not very sure about it. It was the day before the petrol price increase. Was that you? together with a malay gal.. wearing spec.

oh yah! remember to buy me card! Maybe one day you will be able to pass to me if we got fate to meet up. haha.. or maybe one day you'll get my address. =P

Take care~! and definitely i will come back here again. =)

Cheers~!

Pam Song said...

ATTN: gavin-giin
– Hey! You're back! Haha. Since you got the wishes late then lets just assume that the postman was a little late on delivery. =p

And no, I wasn't at MidValley at the time. Couldn't have been me. Haha. I was working!

Take care! Be safe! Cheers!

Gavin Giin said...

nothing much to write when i login here few months ago..
Now.. i'm at the airport again! haha.. it's like a routine for me to leave something here before i fly.
How's life lately? Hope everything is good with you. cheers~! =)

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Giin An
– Eh! Change name!!! Haha. How come? What happened to Gavin?

Life's been good for me. Have just resigned and am leaving the company I'm with by the end of this month. Quite scary.

Gavin Giin said...

what to do.. you didn't open for public to comment like last time. i have to use my google account to leave comment.. :( hahaha...

Owh~!! how come resign? Found a better direction already? Or just realize you can't "melt" into the compay? hehe..

I'm stuck in a city now. Wanna move to the next city but i cannot get a bed... still trying to work out. good luck to me lah~!

Also good luck to you on your career! =)

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Giin An
– Haha. Ya lor. A lot of anonymous writers. Quite irritating. Like talking to faceless ppl like that.

Why I resigned? Well... Just wanted a change lor. But now my boss asking me to rethink. So maybe I'll be staying. See how la. He offer me change of accounts. Not bad also.

Which city are you in? And which city do you wanna head for? Thanks for the wishes. All the best to you, too, in finding that bed!

Gavin Giin said...

hey hey~!
How you doing? Still with the same job? or already got a new one?
This time i'm not in the airport, but already in overseas. hehe.. not enough time to leave a message before boarding.
Anyway, i like this "little chat room" whenever i'm going out. cheers~! =P

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Giin An
– Hey! You're back! Hahaha. Kinda sorta. =p

And I'm doing great! Am still at my old job. Haha. Decided to stay on after my boss asked me to reconsider. On a whole, life's good. =)

Hope it's good with you, too! Already abroad huh? You're in INDIA!!! Hahahahaha. Am I great or am I great? =p

And yeah, I kinda like this little "chat room", too. Hahahaha.

Gavin Giin said...

Hey~! Merry Christmas to you!
How you celebrate your christmas? Hope you enjoy to da max. Ya.. incase i didn't come back here on time... Happy New Year to you! haha.. Cheers!

Gavin Giin said...

Hey~! How'are you doing? Didn't see you reply previous message. Very busy lately?
Yah.. i'm at the KLIA now. Going out again. Shall i buy you something? hehehe..

Post a Comment

Talk to me!