Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Pam The Painter

I know I haven't officially started working.
But it isn't exactly all fun and games for me either.


You see, I'm on a mission to make my room MY room again. It's gotta look like me. And it's gotta smell like me. Personally, I think the smell will come in time. Harhar. But style-wise, the old look with not-light-not-dark brown furniture really wasn't working out for me. So...


I decided that I'd go DIY with the paintbrush. =D


Dee bought me some Dulux ICI Satinwood Luxury Satin Finish paint last Saturday. (I wanted white so I got White Satin, 15172 0186/DJ. =) ) And today, after lunch, I finally got down to business.




I've never really embarked on a home DIY paint job before so it was pretty daunting to go solo with it at first. Especially considering I'd be painting ALL the fitted furniture in my room WITHOUT removing anything that's not in the stuff I'd be painting. (No space in an apartment to store away the extras lah. -_-)


All in all, I have 2 long wardrobe doors,
4 cabinet doors, 2 drawers, some of floor
to ceiling cupboards/cabinets to work on
...and ONE tiny paintbrush. *see above*


I started out being really anal about the paintwork. Trying my best to make sure that the strokes were aligned, and that the paint was evenly spread out. But after awhile, I gave up. Haha. It's absolutely impossible to have a "Satin Finish" on the first coat!


 Done with one cabinet door. ONLY!


So I stopped thinking about it and just went with the flow. The strokes also kinda started coming on their own (muscle memory; brain juice not necessary =p) so by the time I was midway through, I'd zoned out already. Haha. Maybe that's why I made a royal mess of my shorts, hair, hands and legs – so much paint everywhere!! -_-'''


Best part was when Mee and Dee
told me it was time for dinner.


I stopped work and tried cleaning off the paint on my skin with thinner, but found out too late that I was allergic to it. So... I ended up going for dinner with paint still all over me... and rashes along both the insides of my arms/hands. -_- Needless to say, during the drive to dinner, I also successfully got paint on the back of Dee's car seat. @_@ Die.


Came home and checked on my paint work. Surprisingly, it was all dry, thanks to the strong winds we had while I was out for dinner! So I gatal gatal decided to paint the other sides of my doors, and to add a second coat of paint to my drawers. Changed into long pants (smarter already – long pants means paint cannot get legs =p) and got back to work.




An hour later, I was finally done
with everything I could do today.

Phew.


I'm not going to sit out on the balcony and feed the mosquitoes while I wait out the drying process. Haha. Plus, I'm all out of thinner and almost out of paint. That means that everything else has gotta wait till I come home with refills. So, right now, this half-past-six DIY painter is off to bed. Nights, y'all.

10 comments :

Jeffro said...

Hmmm... should I go, "Hey you painted your clothes too? Almost same color!" or "Ooo, good job! that's quite a number of paint-jobs you did!"

Willett said...

Lol...you want to come and paint my room too???? Is too brown for me and I want some white in the room too..

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Jeffro
– HAHAHA. Wth. I'd go with the latter, thank you. =p


ATTN: Willett
– You're funny. You're actually quite funny. Har har.

ChickLit said...

Haha that last pic is so rempit. :-p

Jeffro said...

Hahaha... in some ways, if one wishes to put the former in another way, "Hey Pam, you got some paint on your clothes" LOL, but I do sense a good job done =D

Pam Song said...

ATTN: ChickLit
– Haha. Rempit? Had it in me all the while. HAHA. =p


ATTN: Jeffro
– Not really, actually. Hahaha. I'm quite disappointed with my work. And it seems like even 2 layers of paint isn't enough. So I'm gonna have to paint another layer over the weekend. Sigh. I thought I was going to be done soon. But as it turns out... nope. No such luck. -_-

Jeffro said...

Hahaha, it didn't look good to you, because you wanted it to look better =P Did you mix a lot of water in the paint? Normally 2 layers would suffice, unless you want to make it look better..

DIY works are supposedly to be done leisurely, so don't frown there... Your efforts will be rewarded (well your personal satisfaction is the reward xD)

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Jeffro
– My paint is not water based leh. So no, no water. And I didn't put a lot of thinner inside either. So... dunno why. Haha. I blame inexperience. =p

Jeffro said...

Hahaha, well you what that means? Means you gotta do more painting! Practice makes perfect =P

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Jeffro
– Can't. I can't muster up the energy anymore. Haha. Getting too old for this!

Post a Comment

Talk to me!