Sunday, May 02, 2010

Singapore, April-May '10: Omnia 2 No Wants Friend Singapore Network

As much as I believe the post title says it all, I'm going to grandmother story you with how my Omnia 2 had trouble befriending the Singaporean networks. Just cos I'm long-winded that way. =D


So there I was at the Arrival Hall, Terminal 1, Changi Airport, with my handbag, luggage and cam. By the time I got there, I'd already walked the distance to the immigration counters (in my tired legs, aching feet and 4-inch heels -_-), made it past the long lines at immigration, collected my checked-in luggage from the belts, had my luggage scanned by the authorities on my way out and made it past the gates.


You know what that means?

That means that my phone had already been
pulled off Flight Mode a good half hour or so ago.

Does that make a difference? No. -_-'

*blink blink*


Eh, wait. Did I forget to mention that my plane's landing was delayed for quite a bit cos there was too much air traffic and we were 7th in line?! Yeah, it figures. After I almost missed my flight cos I kena stuck in a traffic jam on KL roads, I have to get stuck in a jam in the air, too. Just my luck lah, I tell you. Just my luck. -_-


But whatever. That wan different story.
Focus can??? Now, where was I? Oh yes...


So, I stepped out into the crowd and took a good look around. Damn. The Lauder One was nowhere to be seen. But never the matter. I've got my trusty phone, the great Omnia The Second with me, right? Wrong. Sooooo wrong.


Stupid phone refused to roam! Like, wth!


There I was, standing at the Arrival Hall with all my ka-chang and no ride... and now, with no phone connectivity, either! Shit liao laaa.


I mean, what if the delay in my plane's landing screwed up the timing too much and that caused an unfortunate chain of events like The Lauder One thinking I'd arrived and gone elsewhere?? What if she was trying to reach me via mobile but couldn't?? What if she decided that the wait was too long and had already left cos I was nowhere to be seen during my initial ETA?? Die lah, got so many what-ifs!


Funny (actually, not so funny at the time lah but I'm just sayin') how just minutes ago I thought Singapore was great for not spamming my phone with Malaysian Embassy texts, cheap call rates, international dialing codes and other such nonsense like they do in other countries.


Boy, was I wrong.

I didn't get all that cos my phone
just wasn't talking to Singapore!


So I did everything I thought would help. I changed network settings, I tried switching from Normal back to Flight Mode back to Normal, I ran a mobile clean-up, pressed a whole buncha buttons and then some but still...


NO. DIFF. SAME. SHIT.
STILL. NOT. ROAMING.

-_-'''

BUT... like all my travel blooper stories,
this one has a happy ending, too! =)


Whilst going through the act-cool-on-the-outside-while-panicking-on-the-inside episode, I finally spotted a familiar face in the crowds. The Lauder One had arrived! Yay! So I walked up to her with my alive-but-as-good-as-dead phone and pat her on the back. She squealed, we hugged, smiles all around, the end.


.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.


Kiddin'. =p


But bottom line is, in the end, I got my phone to roam lah. Know what I had to do? You won't believe it if I told you. I just had to turn the phone off and turn it on again. o_O Wth. So cannot make it. -_-''' Stress lah all this technology nonsense, you know? Stress.

2 comments :

Leonard said...

next time, just remember in Changi Airport, even you do not have a phone, there are public phone booths BEFORE immigration that provide free local calls. you'll be fine.

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Leonard
– DAMMIT, WHY DIDN'T I KNOW THAT??? T_T

Post a Comment

Talk to me!