Sunday, January 10, 2010

Achievements, Ambitions & Aspirations

I recently had my annual appraisal with the powers that be *rolls eyes* at MCKL. Hmmm. Odd session, that was – as it always seems to be with me. You see, I don't quite mind being evaluated for the year that has been. It's only fair that I be 'judged' for what I have or have not done. But I really abhor having to enlist my ambitions/aspirations for the coming year. Why? Because of this:


In the eyes of those who reach only for the tangible,
when it comes to ambitions/aspirations, I have none.


You see, I'm not really one for titles and positions of power. I don't need the title Senior Copywriter. Just pay me enough to do the work in the company of awesome people and I'd be happy. Haha. I wouldn't beg, steal or kill for metals or industry awards. (White lego bricks or yellow pencils, anyone?) I just want to know that I've done work I can be proud of.


Does that seem ambition-less to you?

Hmmm.

Maybe these statements
will make you think that of me:


I've never had dreams of managing a multi-national company. Never thought of starting my own business. Never wanted to be a millionaire by 30.


All I want... is to do lots
and be happy doing it.

.
.
.
.
.
.


Is that really me being ambition-less?

I don't think so.

Because I have dreams.


I have things I want to learn. More I want to do. Places I want to visit. People I want to meet. Friendships I want to grow. Family I want to cherish. A family of my own I want to build. Children I want to raise. With a man I want to grow old with.


Aren't these dreams ambitious enough?


Sure, they're a tad intangible but... who's to say intangibility is a bad thing? I don't just want a house, I want a home. I don't have a need for it to be big and built with lots of bricks, but I'm game for having a big family living within its walls. I don't just want a car, I want to go places and see new things with the people I love and care about. See what I mean?


The tangibles like the big house, big car and big pay check – those are extras in my books. But my dreams? Those, I can't live without. I can't go through life not having achieved all that. And I can't possibly say that I've lived if I've never had a taste of life with that which my heart really desires.


You may think I've taken the whole not-storing-up-treasures-on-Earth-but-in-Heaven thing too literally but... you know what? That's not it. Really. I just don't happen to want the typical things others expect me to want. I want more. A different kind of 'more' due to the different set of priorities I have.

6 comments :

sy1n said...

I love the way you think and I fully agree. I want the same things too...

Pam Song said...

ATTN: sy1n
– Not many people understand.

test said...

yea everyone their own distinct goal and thing. Keep cool. Just work for it a day at a time.

Whaley Bear said...

To each his own, babe!

As clichéd as it sounds, "to love and be loved" is truly the greatest achievement, ambition and aspiration of all mankind whether we want to admit it or not. And the rest are just things to get us by in life.

I'm glad you've your head screwed to your heart tightly.

xoxo

yapthomas said...

not many people understand... except me :)

Just hold on to what you are holding right now. I see a happy man, kids running around and maybe, a 'tai-tai' life. ;)

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Spectre
– Well, it's easy to work at something tangible. But when it's something intangible, a bit tougher. Summore my goals aren't dependent on me alone. Haha. They're pretty relationship based. And since that concerns more than one person, I need cooperation, too.

Tough luck. Haha.


ATTN: Whaley Bear
– I like the way you put it. Indeed, the other things are just to get us by in life. =)


ATTN: yapthomas
– AMEN TO THAT! =p

Post a Comment

Talk to me!