Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Fluid Intelligence Vs. Crystallised Intelligence

Trivia-of-the-day time!


Found a piece on BBC online that I thought was pretty interesting. From the looks of it, the hot topic for comparison won't be IQ Vs. EQ anymore. Instead, it's what Adrian Furnham, professor of psychology at University College London, refers to as "Fluid Intelligence" Vs. "Crystallised Intelligence". Here's a short excerpt from the article that explains the two forms of intelligences.

Adrian Furnham is a professor of psychology at University College London and has studied the relationship between general knowledge and intelligence.

He makes a distinction between what he describes as "fluid" and "crystallised" intelligence.

"Fluid intelligence is analysis, maybe doing Sudoku or a Rubik's cube - speed of analysis with problem solving. You don't have to have had an education."

Crystallised intelligence on the other hand is knowledge you have learnt and then access from memory. Knowing all of the counties in the British Isles is a piece of crystallised intelligence.

[Source]

You know, I think my Fluid Intelligence outperforms my Crystallised Intelligence. Haha. I'm not even sure if I can name all 14 states in Malaysia now that highschool's a lifetime away. HA. HA. I remember a time when I was travelling back and forth between Penang and KL by bus back in my college days, and I told The BF that I was passing Malacca on my way back to Penang. (To which he replied, "Eh! Are you sure you're on the right bus??") Haha. Geography FAIL! Big time.


*blink blink*

Now how did I get to that? Hmmm.
Back to the topic at hand, ok?


I have a problem with this argument. It totally negates Emotional Intelligence! Why? Doesn't High EQ + High IQ = High Intelligence? Hmmm. So, in the case of Professor Furnham's argument, does this equation *points below* read right?


IQ = Fluid Intelligence + Crystallised Intelligence


Hmmm. Looks a little lopsided to me without EQ sitting on the other end of the spectrum. What about the ability to deal with your own emotions and those of others? What about being smart enough to navigate through the many emotional landmines Life presents you? Isn't that important, too? And doesn't that affect and influence a person's level of "cleverness" as well?


Again, I say, "Hmmm." What say you?

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Talk to me!