Saturday, September 04, 2010

Not The Bed Of Roses They Promised It'd Be

I was texting with a friend today when she told me
a little about a dress she wanted to try on. Then she said:

"My mom and sister said no. But I guess
when I finally get engaged then they can't say
anything already and I can do whatever I want. LOL."


Haha. Good point. But I can't help but realise now that that statement also happens to be very far from the truth. Who says you get to do what you want when you're engaged? It's the total opposite! In fact, instead of just making sure you do what's right by your conscience and your family, you've now got a whole other family with a million other new VVIP characters to think of as well!


-_-'''


Anyway, it looks like talk of marriage and engagements are really in with my girls these days. Cos that realisation reminded me of another conversation I had with a friend last week. You see, she's getting married this November. (Yes, I'm invited and extremely excited for her.) And while talking, she mentioned something out of her own experience that I thought couldn't be more insightful:

"Pam, I tell you... Get engaged not so easy lor. Plan wedding? Even more difficult. Now not just you. I mean, sure lah... Last time also not you alone; got your family also. But at least your family still your family ma, right? You know them so long; mix until used to them already lah. What they like, dun like, also you know. But now? Got new people. Husband's side people. Summore, guys always don't care wan. So, we girls always have to be in the middle. People say get married is happy thing. But they never say it's US who have to make everybody happy."

(With this being Penang, of course she said all that in Hokkien. But I wouldn't have expected
half of you to understand; hence, the translation. Yes, you can thank me later. =) )


It's true though.


It's always the girls who end up working their assess off behind the scenes to make sure things stay afloat. It's always the girls who find themselves tying up the loose ends everybody else leaves behind. It's always the girls who end up struggling to keep the relationship between two families tight before, during and after the marriage. And on top of that, it's always the girls who are expected to plan the wedding (both sides, mind you) in a way that ensures the happiness of both families, while ensuring that her once-in-a-lifetime bash turns out to be a stellar success she, her husband, her family and her husband's family never forgets.


And guess what? Even though all this is expected of her, it's ultimately the guy and the parentals who call the shots and have the final say. Super stay-at-home kuli that's taken for granted or not I ask you?? Sigh. I don't want to be a girl lah.

10 comments :

RealGunners said...

you can always take the alternate route that most girls take nowadays, convert him to part of your family, then you no need to worry about his family... if you know what i mean...

Pam Song said...

ATTN: RealGunners
- Haha. How un-Chinese of you to suggest that. Nah. It's wrong. Plus, a marriage is the coming together of TWO families. Not the loss of a son or daughter to one. Just that it'd be nice if all parties involved worked at it and not just one.

Lissa said...

Good point. Lots to think about. Ugh. Not looking forward to it. -.-

Lissa said...

In the end, though, it's your wedding, your big day, your magical moment. Beyond the social 'requirements', I'd not bother about the little details.

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Lissa
– Haha. You say you're not looking forward to it but... you are. Haha. Until it hits you. =p

And yeah. It's usually the social requirements that suck the fun out of wedding planning.

Lissa said...

I suppose I am looking forward to it. In a way. Cos it would mean that we're taking another step towards spending our lives together. :P Just not looking forward to the stress. >.<

Jeffro said...

I beg to differ... That would be stereotyping. It's not entirely true, I speak on behalf of the guys who aren't like that at all. For instance, I myself makes plans way ahead so that the girl (if there were to be one) does not have to worry much on it - personally I believe in sharing the responsibilities and equally having say in anything.

Well, it's true that getting together (or being married) requires not only the attention on that particular person but his/her entire family too (and maybe friends as well), it's the same for the other, and no one side should be the only one doing all the work - otherwise sooner or later, that person will grow tired and fed up of it and hence "Sigh. I don't want to be a girl lah" situations.,,

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Lissa
– Haha. True, true. Unfortunately, for most of us, the stress comes along with that "together forever" thing we're after. =p


ATTN: Jeffro
– Hahaha. Male power. =p

But seriously lor. MOST guys are like that wat. Not all, but MOST.

And when you're dating it's different lah. You go all out to be nice cos you're wooing the girl. Most guys wouldn't give a shit after 2 years, 5 years or 10 years together.

And as much as it's a family, friends and us thing, it rarely ever is. Workload is always at an imbalance wan lah. Just like when you're working in a team at college. (I hate group assignments.) Some people get off easy, and some others pick up the slack and work their asses off for the good of the entire team. It sucks, but it happens.

Jeffro said...

Male very powah =P

I agree most guys out there ruin the image. Tsk tsk tsk. Poor us *grins*

Eh not really, I do know some (and I'm also one of them) who would constantly want to "keep it fresh"... Hence, we don't give everything nice one shot, we do it in a rather step-by-step/mild manner (not too extravagant) but still sufficiently romantic and heart warming.

This would help in long term; Only when the couple is closer at heart to each other, there'll be more surprise to be unrevealed... That way, there's more mystery to uncover, more romanticism to discover... Then the girl wouldn't be bored =) And the guy will not feel pressure to plan a too extravagant surprise for the girl =D

Work and family different (The only part I like about group assignments, is that I get to do what I want - had a good leader though). If work, we don't really mind having such thing happen, cause it's just work, we won't bring them back to the family, and it'll be over when we go up the ladder or jump to another ship.

But, if it's the family, friends and the girl. It'll be entirely different, having to share the burden and workload of having the household in order. Having to balance things up all those, is an important criteria within a family, so that all parties can be satisfied and they can all be grow positively together =)

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Jeffro
– Eh... you talk about the girl being bored and all that but... your stories semacam you are the one getting bored first then you up and leave. Tsk tsk. You pot? Or kettle? =p

Post a Comment

Talk to me!