Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Oxymoron Much?

People tell me they don't get me. I think it's cos I don't fit into any of the boxes people try putting me in. You see, I'm neither an Idealist, nor am I a Realist. I'm actually a little bit of both. An Idealist-Realist, if ever there was such a personality type. It's tough explaining what I mean by that but I'm gonna give you a few of examples and hopefully you'll get what I mean.


First example:
The IDEALIST in me says:
I believe with all my heart that there's a special someone out there for every one of us.

The REALIST in me says:
True, but I also think that not everybody manages to find that special someone in their lifetime.

Second example:
The IDEALIST in me says:
Telling the truth is always the best policy. White lies are unnecessary.

The REALIST in me says:
Yeah, right. Try telling that to a man who just answered, "Yes," to his wife who asked, "Hey, honey. Do you think I look fat in this dress?"

Third example:
The IDEALIST in me says:
Good always triumphs over evil and the righteous will be rewarded for their good deeds.

The REALIST in me says:
That's what should happen. But it's isn't always the case. Life's unfair. We live in a fallen world where bad things sometimes happen to good people and bad guys get away with their evil doings.

Geddit?

Or have I just confused you further?

Haha.


p/s: I used the first example in real life recently – true story. And in terms of the second example... you really shouldn't lie. It's bad, bad, bad. And bad people always get punished in the end. *fierce face*

3 comments :

Dillon said...

Here's my 2 cents ( with some hint of christian theology ).

Example 1 :
Yes, I too strongly believe that there is a special someone for everyone. And the possibility of meeting this "one" is like 1 in a billion. With this kind of probability, it's impossible from a human standpoint, but not for God. And we know that God is in control of our life. So the only thing we can do is pray and wait. Thats why we must have faith. God knows our wants and needs (Jer 29:11) and He knows that some people really cannot go through life alone.At the same time, God hasn't send this "special one" to us is because we are not ready for it yet. So yeah, if i have to wait 10 years, I'll wait. Abraham waited 25 years for Isaac, haha.

Example 2:
The right man will always know how to give you the right answer, which is the truth. I have in my experience, told a girl exacty what i thought about her new hairdo, a christian, mind you and she felt disappointed even though I told her that its just my opinion and the new hairdo doesn't suit her. Verdict: Its hard for a man to discern whether the "question" asked is fishing for compliment or genuine opinion.But,honesty is the best policy.

Example 3:
Yes, the bible did mention that good will triumph over evil. Yes the bible also mention that every righteous deed will be rewarded. Here's the catch: It will only comes to pass at the end. The bible already states that life is unfair. We will go through all sorts of injustice. We will definitely have to go through suffering one way or another, no escape. It was never mention "AT ALL" that we will have a smooth sailing life.

Mark 13:13,Jesus himself said we will be hated because of Him.

In fact all over the new testament, we have been time and again being reminded that we have to suffer. Suffering is the mark of being a christian (James 4:4, 1 John 2:15-17 ). Peter gave the most clear cut explanation in 1 Peter 4:12-19.

More on suffering:-
Romans 8:18-25
James 1:1-12

Conclusion: Idealist you will see it come to pass AT THE END, while at the present, we will have to put up with what Realist you is already witnessing.

Cheers

Dillon said...

eh..i left this out..

Idealist-Realist is the way to go..muahaha..

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Dillon
– Here's my response to your statements.

Example 1:
Yes, I believe that it's not impossible for God but sometimes, the packaging can be deceiving so we say "No, thank you" to God's suggestion when it's actually "The One". Or... we choose "The One" and we mess it up and lose out on our chance at a beautiful future. It happens. We're human. So... if you're ready to wait 10 years, better keep your eyes and heart open. Don't let it be like God sending the boats and the choppers and the guy end up saying, "No, thank you," to all the ways God wanted to rescue him. =)

Example 2:
I think we can all speak the truth in love. Perhaps it's not about telling her the new hairdo doesn't suit her. Just tell her you seem to prefer the old one and this one is taking some time for you to get used to. Must have tact ma. Haiyo!

Example 3:
It doesn't not necessarily mean that good will come at the end only. Some people have better/easier lives than others. You're generalising.

But yes, I'm pretty cool with being Idealist-Realist. =)

Post a Comment

Talk to me!