Friday, February 05, 2010

Heartbreak Warfare




Artist: John Mayer
Song Title: Heartbreak Warfare

Lightning strike
Inside my chest to keep me up at night
Dream of ways
To make you understand my pain

[CHORUS]
Clouds of sulphur in the air
Bombs are falling everywhere
It's heartbreak warfare
Once you want it to begin
No one really ever wins
In heartbreak warfare

If you want more love
Why don't you say so?
If you want more love
Why don't you say so?

Drop his name
Push it in and twist the knife again
Watch my face
As I pretend to feel no pain, pain, pain

[CHORUS]
Clouds of sulphur in the air
Bombs are falling everywhere
It's heartbreak warfare
Once you want it to begin
No one really ever wins
In heartbreak warfare

If you want more love
Why don't you say so?
If you want more love
Why don't you say so?
Just say so

[BRIDGE]
How come the only way to know how high you get me
Is to see how far I fall?
God only knows how much I'd love you if you'd let me
But I can't break through at all

It's a heart, heartbreak

I don't care if we don't sleep at all tonight
Let's just fix this whole thing now
I swear to God we're gonna get it right
If you lay your weapon down

Red wine and ambien
You're talking shit again
It's heartbreak warfare

Good to know it's all a game
Disappointment has a name
It's heartbreak, heartbreak

It's heartbreak warfare
It's heartbreak warfare
It's heartbreak warfare


Some people tell me that fighting between partners is good – it's healthy. They say it keeps a relationship on its toes. That it shows that the relationship is tenacious, persevering and untiring. It shows effort through the constant struggle to stay afloat against all odds.


Well, I beg to differ.


To me, fighting in a relationship is like struggling in quicksand. The more you fight, the more aggressive you get, the more you struggle... the faster you'll sink. So, stop thrashing about. It doesn't help. Instead, stay calm. Do all you can to maintain the peace. Speak in quiet whispers. Correct out of love. And you'll see that you'll naturally stay afloat.


Here are some bits and pieces
I liked from Heartbreak Warfare.
Explanations follow after each quote.


------------

"Lightning strike inside my chest
to keep me up at night"

The ache of a broken heart – it's real. It's not just something they show us in movies or tell us in songs. It isn't just a state of mind. It isn't just pain you talk about. It's pain you feel – it's tangible. I mean, it actually feels like your heart is breaking into a million little pieces within your chest. Deep in the depths of your being where no eye can see, you feel Little You shattering. Ahh, I remember the feeling. And if you've been there before, I'm sure you'll remember it too. But if you haven't ever had this experience, I hope you never will.

------------

"How come the only way
to know how high you get me
Is to see how far I fall?"

They say that in order for you to win, somebody needs to lose – NOT. TRUE. AT. ALL. I believe in win-win situations. Conclusions where both parties come out smiling. Where both people are happy with (or at least okay with) what has been decided. So what if one person made a mistake? A relationship is the coming together of two parties. Two parties who choose to hold on to each other. Looking outward toward the same horizon. Moving in the same direction. With the same end in mind. Know what that means? When one person screws up; when one person goes down... the other goes down, too. So, make sure it's win-win... or both of you lose in the end.

------------

"God only knows how much
I'd love you if you'd let me
But I can't break through at all"

Sometimes it gets frustrating when you feel so much love for the other person but you find that it's tough showing it in a way the other person understands. Blame it on differing love languages; blame it on imperfect timing; blame it on stubbornness and thick skulls – whatever. It just sucks when you're already giving love with all you've got but you know the other person isn't getting it.

------------

"I don't care if we don't sleep at all tonight
Let's just fix this whole thing now"

I know I've said this about a million times before but it's true – don't let the sun go down on anger. Wise words of advice from Dee. =)

------------

"I swear to God we're gonna get it right
If you lay your weapon down"

When you're in a discussion to resolve issues, don't go on the offence. I know it's easier said than done. But things just go crazy haywire when emotionally charged people turn on the Attack Mode and go all out on a rampage. Don't accuse. Don't provoke. Say what you need to say and point out what you need to. Just be sure to focus on the issue (not the person). And above all things, do it out of love.

------------


Ok. Done with the lyrics,
back to the topic at hand:

Fighting.


I hate fighting. I really do. I think people should really start picking their fights. If it's not worth fighting for, just let it go. Forgive. And forget. (Ok, fine. The forgetting part may take some time but hey, it's better than going into war with your partner. Why fight the person who's holding your heart on purpose? He/She drops it, you lose.)


That, plus the fact that I wasn't raised in a family that takes to fighting like our lungs take to Oxygen. I believe in talking things out. Peacefully resolving issues. Anything other than that is a stupid waste of effort and time. Like shouting. Or taking immature stabs at one another verbally. Or tearing each other apart with mean words. Or punching each other out with hard-clenched fists. For goodness sakes... Just. Stop. Fighting.


Cos fighting is stupid.

And tiring.

And at the end of the day,
all that wasted energy just gets you nowhere.
(Yes, I speak from experience.)


Fighting's damaging as hell, too, if you couldn't tell. To you, the person you fight with and to your relationship with one another. I don't think fondly of this musical genius, no thanks to his growing number of female conquests, but... Mayer's right with this one – no one really ever wins in heartbreak warfare.


"Once you want it to begin
No one really ever wins
In heartbreak warfare"


So, boys and girls, play nice, ok?
Make love, not war. =p

Have an awessum possum weekend. =)

6 comments :

Lissa said...

The whole "Don't go to bed angry" seems like good advice, but sometimes it's best to sleep on it, take some time to cool off. That way, your thoughts become clearer and you're able to discuss things more calmly.

sy1n said...

soooo... this is what caused the headache!

agree more than 100% now it's causing me headache and heartache...

Whaley Bear said...

I love this post! Thanks babe!

xoxo

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Lissa
– Hmmm. Going to bed without resolving an issue is different from going to bed angry. I'd be ok with going to bed and talking about the issue tmr. But I'm not ok with going to bed when I'm still pissed at my partner and when my partner's still pissed at me. Focusing on the issue and not the person, remember?


ATTN: sy1n
– Hahaha. Go to bed. I did that and it worked. =p


ATTN: Whaley Bear
– Glad you liked it, babe! =)

Unknown said...

as much as we wanna stay calm, sometimes it's way beyond our control if argument carries on to a level where it gets so heated up and intense. that's when we start saying nasty things when we aren't suppose to say or meant it. and that always leave a very very bad heartache feeling.

no matter how hard we shout or swear, resolution is very important. at least to me it is. who knows 20 years down the road we might look back at that silly argument and laugh about it.

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Simon
– Yeah, resolution is key. Or else, what you end up doing is just sweeping everything under the carpet and it'll surface again. Bad bad. Gotta settle it once and for all.

Post a Comment

Talk to me!