Saturday, January 30, 2010

One More Day

I've got a question: If you had one more day to live,
what would you do and who would you be doing it with?


Would you be doing what you're doing now? Like sitting for hours on end in a 6 o'clock jam on Federal Highway. Or always rushing around, getting your errands done. Or just working your days (and nights) away day after day after day, month after month, year after year.


And would you be spending your time with the people who currently consume the bulk of your waking hours? Like your work mates who haven't yet made it past the Colleague Line and into the Friend Zone. Or a sucky boss. Or an annoying-as-hell roommate. Or even those hi-bye acquaintances you tend to meet, greet, and then forget the very next day.


If my days were numbered, I wouldn't.

But then, I thought:

Why wait till there's a deadline
before doing anything about it?


Sit and accept the mediocre just because I have time to waste? Watch the world go by without keeping an eye on the clock simply because my time isn't up yet? No, way! Doing that and accepting it as a norm would be incredibly silly of me, don't you think? (Don't answer that. It's rhetorical.)


I want to spend my days with the people who matter – the people I love and care for. I want to start investing in them. By investing in the relationship. I want more time together. Go places. See things. Make memories. Share thoughts. Gain understanding. Love harder.


So what if I don't know when time's about to end for me? It doesn't matter. If I want my life to count, if I want my days to matter, and if I want to make the most of whatever time I've been given, I better start using it wisely. Not in the future, not next time, not tomorrow. Today. It's got to start today.


So... If you had one more day to live,
what would you do and who would you be doing it with?

7 comments :

clark said...

..spend the whole day with my family on the beach.. having fun and celebrating the life that I had and how lucky I am.. i want them to remember me that way, with a big smile on my face before I fade away..

Lissa said...

Bake and cook for my loved ones. Because I know I would never be able to do it again, and I'd like to make it a meal that they will always remember. :)

Pam Song said...

ATTN: clark
– That's nice. =) I'd like to be remembered for my smiles and the good times, too.


ATTN: Lissa
– Ooo, please include me in your list of "Loved Ones"!!! I want to makan, too! Hahaha.

TMBF said...

This whole "live every day as if it were your last" business is bullshit.

Well okay, there's a grain of truth in it. Most platitudes do. But that's what it is, a platitude.

Because there are rewards in life that you can only enjoy after a great deal of time and effort. And there are things in life you do that will only pay off much, much further down the road. You do them because you expect to live to enjoy them. If you keep thinking your days are numbered, if you set yourself imaginary deadlines for living your life, you'll never accomplish anything of any real worth.

I mean, it's not like you have a life-threatening illness or anything.

...do you?

Roshann Mathiahlagan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Roshann Mathiahlagan said...

I'd probably be spending time with everyone that really matter.
P.s. Doing it stoned would make the experience better. :)

Pam Song said...

ATTN: TMBF
– Haha. You salah concept already lah. It's not about achieving everything or being rewarded for all you do in that one day. It's about making full use of every day. Making every day count as though it's your last.


ATTN: Roshann
– Haha. Stoner. =p

Post a Comment

Talk to me!