Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Come Home

Artist: One Republic
Song Title: Come Home


Hello world, hope you're listening
Forgive me if I’m young, for speaking out of turn
There’s someone I’ve been missing
I think that they could be the better half of me
They’re in their own place trying to make it right
But I’m tired of justifying
So I say to you

[CHORUS]
Come home, come home
Cause I’ve been waiting for you
For so long, for so long
And right now there's a war between the vanities
But all I see is you and me
The fight for you is all I’ve ever known
So come home... ooh

I get lost in the beauty of everything I see
The world ain’t half as bad as they paint it to be
If all the sons, if all the daughters stopped to take it in
Well, hopefully the hate subsides and the love can begin
It might start now... yeah
Well, maybe I’m just dreaming out loud
Until then

[CHORUS]
Come home, come home
Cause I’ve been waiting for you
For so long, for so long
And right now there's a war between the vanities
But all I see is you and me
The fight for you is all I’ve ever known
I've ever known
So come home... ooh

[BRIDGE]
Everything I can’t be is everything you should be
And that’s why I need you here
Everything I can’t be is everything you should be
And that’s why I need you here
So hear this now

[CHORUS]
Come home, come home
Cause I’ve been waiting for you
For so long, for so long
And right now there's a war between the vanities
But all I see is you and me
The fight for you is all I’ve ever known, I've ever known
So come home

[CHORUS]
Come home, come home
Cause I’ve been waiting for you
For so long, for so long
And right now there's a war between the vanities
But all I see is you and me
The fight for you is all I’ve ever known
So come home

I've had this song for awhile now, actually. Just never really paid attention to what its lyrics had to say before. Funnily enough, it popped up on Gossip Girl, Season 1, Episode 12, the episode where Serena's mom finally decides to give her love with Dan's dad a chance though she was just on the receiving end of a proposal from Chuck's dad. Unfortunately, nearing the end of the episode, we see her turning her back on what her heart really wants cos she knows what Serena wants, too – for her not to be with Dan's dad.


You see, Serena is dating Dan and as much as she hates Chuck, she'd rather be Chuck's stepsister than Dan's cos then they'd probably have to break-up their little love affair. After all, dating your stepsister isn't exactly very romantic or legal, right? Thing is, Serena's mom gave up her love for Dan's dad once before already.


The first time, her mother, Serena's grandmother – this evil, uppety, snoot of a devil woman – made her choose between Dan's dad and her inheritance. And as you can probably guess by now, she chose her inheritance over her happiness. (This is why I love Gossip Girl – the drama makes me realise a boring life like mine isn't half bad.)


Hmmm. So, Serena's mom gave up LOVE for MONEY. Was it worth it? To sell your heart and emotional happiness for a few extra zeros in the bank? No. I've never thought that money was worth losing yourself for. And when you lose the one you love, you pretty much lose everything there is to lose, including yourself. Because you give the people you love a part of yourself, don't you?


Second time around, she was supposed to give up LOVE for MATERNAL RESPONSIBILITY. This one's debatable to me. Sure, the act is selfless. But... can she really dismiss her heart's cry for the love of her life a second time around? Is it right that she even does so? Sigh. Must be excruciating.


I can't really tell you what she chose yet. I haven't finished watching that episode. I felt an urgent need to blog. Plus, the tears were kinda screwing with my vision, no thanks to the song that was playing in the background. -_- So... yeah. I'm paying attention to "Come Home" and its lyrics now. And those words, they make my heart ache. Cos this time, I know for sure that Art has imitated Life.


"And right now there's a war between the vanities
But all I see is you and me
The fight for you is all I’ve ever known"


I once dated a guy for many years. And I fought and I fought for our relationship because I believed that what we had was worth fighting for. That what we had, in spite of the adversities, would be beautiful in the end. Because Love's always worth fighting for, isn't it?


But that's good fighting. There's bad fighting, too.


People say that every healthy relationship comes with fights and bites. They call it "spark." But you know what? I don't believe that. I don't believe that it takes a little bit of trashing out every once in awhile for a relationship to stay healthy. But this I do believe: When a relationship loses its fight, that's when it all ends. Because when you stop caring enough to fight for what you have, it's the beginning of the end.


"There’s someone I’ve been missing
I think that they could be the better half of me
They’re in their own place trying to make it right
But I’m tired of justifying so I say to you
Come home, come home"


Too bad distance always stood between us. 80% of the time we were together was spent apart from one another. In different states at some times, but mostly, in different countries. Never told him this but I always wished that he'd pack up and fly home. (Don't get me wrong. I believe that LDR can work. But that's another story for another day.) So it really sucked to figure eventually that he probably wasn't ever going to "come home" for me because of dreams he wanted to realise on his own, in another place, in plans that I probably didn't figure in.


And to be honest, that thought scared me. Could it be that I was fighting for something or someone who wouldn't fight for me in return? And all girls want to be fought for, don't they? Doktor Lurve and I were just talking about Wild At Heart by John Eldredge (an awesome, awesome book every man should read) and he asked me one question – "Is it true? Do all women want to be fought for?"


Yes. I believe so.


We want to be desired. Then pursued. You can't sit on your bum all day waiting for Miss Right to drop into your lap and do you a lap dance. Cos she ain't gonna. Go to a strip bar if you want lap-dancer girl to show you her moves without you making yours first.


But I digress. And I apologise
for going into OTJ mode.
Been quite in the mood for
some male bashing teaching.


So I figured that since I could very well be fighting in vain, I fought for my independence instead. My liberation from male superiority. My escape from emotional suppression. And after a lot of pain, heartache and tears, I got it.


But it isn't always fun being on your own.


You don't get out-of-the-blue hugs, you don't get kisses before bedtime, you don't get wake-up calls – nada. All you get is an empty bed and a silent phone. And what fun is that, right? But that's not the worst part. What's worse about being alone is that you find yourself having no one to care for. No one to love. No one to invest into.


It's funny how we find ourselves giving up our time, our effort, our lives even... for everything but our hearts. Even when ultimately, it's our hearts that really matter in the whole scheme of things. We'd sacrifice it all for money, for a good job and for family... everything outside our ourselves but never for our hearts that beat within us.


Sometimes when I'm alone, I wonder if I'm left where I am because I'm strong-willed and independent... or just cos I was too idiotic and stubborn to listen to what others (like my heart) had to say. What I know is this: It really sucks to be somewhere (you think) you wanna be, when you're got no one. Cos really, when you've got no one, you've got nothing.


p/s: There are two versions of the song in that flash player. The first is by One Republic and the other's by them as well, but featuring Sara Bareilles. The One Republic version was the one that was used in Gossip Girl. It's also the one I've been listening to all night.

15 comments :

-yong may- said...

I feel you, girl. I want to be pursued, because that's what guys want to do. While some guys would deny it, they actually like pursuing. Haha!

And yes, I did fight my best to retain my last r/ship. But it didn't work out, but it made me independent. =)

Pam Song said...

ATTN: -yong may-
– Sucks being us, no? Boo.

infinitium said...

go watch this vid... think you'll find it highly relevant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hfl9e53LX_U&feature=related

then if you like that, go watch this one too... to understand a guy better....
"Tales of Mere Existence - What would Penis Do?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXmPFJqTHKo&feature=channel

amb3r1te said...

there's an episode of greys anatomy which mentions that meredith wants to be pursued too. and i totally agree with it.

and ok ok, im coming home soon. wtf

Jeffro said...

Hmmm.. guys like pursuing? Not really, at least I know I don't.. =)

Nah, it doesn't sux being gals.. *winks* =D

Melissa said...

I loved Wild At Heart by John Eldredge too, incredible book. It's supposedly a man's book, but I loved it.

And, we've all been there, done that. Fought for something we thought was worth fighting for, hoping that someday, maybe, just maybe, it will work out. The glimmer of hope that keeps us going.

As much as I hated to admit it, yes. It is in my DNA, that girly part of me that wants to be pursued, chased after and fiercely protected.

Some days, I miss those moments where you know you have someone who is crazy about you, thinking about you. But as of now, I would not trade the position I am in. The freedom of being single and being able to mix around, no strings attached.

You'll get someone better, this I know. Just wait, it will happen, when given the time. =)

Pam Song said...

ATTN: infinitium
– Haha. You too much ahhh. Keluar topik kau kau.


ATTN: amb3r1te
– We all wanna be pursued. =) And quickly come home lahhhhh. You think wat? Send perfume enough!? Pfft! *grin*


ATTN: Jeffro
– Eee. You're a lazy dater then!


ATTN: Melissa
– Did you read Captivating? It's good, too. I read it and loved it. I lent it out. Am still waiting to get it back.

I think we're at different points in our lives so we're looking for different things. What with you being under a quarter of a century old and all that, you know? =p

erin wong said...

I is watching GG too!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just finished season 1 (again), and starting on season 2 tonight! Whee...

And I teared reading your post. I sixth-sensed the parts that made you cry as you typed, and it made me emo tooooo... :~(

Melissa said...

Nope, did not read that. I am planning to get it, but procrastination and deliberation should be my middle names instead =P

And, I agree with you on that. I've still so long to go, so much to learn and experience. Speaking of which, when will you be coming back to Penang? Would like to chat with you about the industry and everything related.

Lemmie know.

Take care =)

Pam Song said...

ATTN: the MUA
– Can burn for me? I only have Season 1. Don't even know if it's complete. Not sure.

I guess when I emo I drag others down with me, eh? Haha. Well... yeah, I don't think it was too difficult sixth-sensing the extra juicy emo bits in this post. Just one of my things, I guess.


ATTN: Melissa
– You should get it. It's very good. Then you'll realise why you want the things you want. And that it's not wrong wanting them.

I don't know yet when I'll be going back to Penang. And usually, it's spontaneous. So... when you read about it, just gimmie a call. =)

Unknown said...

But that's good fighting. There's bad fighting, too.

And fighting that leads to people m.i.a at the Grammys.

yea, about LDR, i remember when i juz started readin tinkitalks, there was a hugely controversial post on LDR, the comments juz went off the chart and subsequently it was disabled.

Well, I juz sat there and i do get pursued, but they have never been what I'm lookin for. Sigh. Coincidentally, on the subject of strip bars, i was so close to being taken to a strip bar while in Aberdeen, darn. That would've been a first.

erin wong said...

I no CD to burn! Mine all in external harddisk. Can let u save all if u be nice and actually get da nice V-Day gift I left for u at the Birdie's desk. =D

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Chris
– Oh, that kind of fighting you mean. Yuck. I hate hate hate that kind of fighting. When you choose to hurt someone you love (or can't control yourself NOT to hurt someone you love), you need to think about what it is you're in the relationship for. Cos really... there is no love there.

Haha. So you started reading TT then, huh? Well... good old times. Haha. That post was heartfelt. Too bad I took the burn for the skyrocketing comments. =p

You've never visited a strip joint? Good for you. Your price just went up. =)


ATTN: the MUA
– I bring HD also then we transferrr!!!

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Chris
– Oh, that kind of fighting you mean. Yuck. I hate hate hate that kind of fighting. When you choose to hurt someone you love (or can't control yourself NOT to hurt someone you love), you need to think about what it is you're in the relationship for. Cos really... there is no love there.

Haha. So you started reading TT then, huh? Well... good old times. Haha. That post was heartfelt. Too bad I took the burn for the skyrocketing comments. =p

You've never visited a strip joint? Good for you. Your price just went up. =)


ATTN: the MUA
– I bring HD also then we transferrr!!!

TracyEm. said...

''And I fought and I fought for our relationship because I believed that what we had was worth fighting for. That what we had, in spite of the adversities, would be beautiful in the end. Because Love's always worth fighting for, isn't it?

And to be honest, that thought scared me. Could it be that I was fighting for something or someone who wouldn't fight for me in return? And all girls want to be fought for, don't they?''

..

hey hun. Have been there, don't know if I'm still there, and even till now, I'm afraid. Like you said, what if the love you're fighting for only seems worth it? We'll never really know would we, till we're down on the floors. For all I know, it could have been over a long time ago, when lines were crossed, and even when fighting is too much effort.

Sigh.

Post a Comment

Talk to me!