Friday, October 02, 2020

Being Six, Now And Then

I grew up being that kid. The one who followed her parents to work and hung out at the office from after-school till sundown. Yep, my family did the whole take-your-child-to-work-day thing waaaay before it was even cool to do so. πŸ˜„ And not just on the fourth Thursday in April, mind you. It was all day err day. 


See, my nuclear family lived on our own without grandparent help from the time I was seven, and we didn't have a hired helper around to help watch me. So, it was go to work with Mee and Dee... or stay home alone. (I was an only child and as such, didn't have siblings for company. Haha. #foreveralone) 


Thing is, I find myself somewhat in the same situation now – my two kids are six and eight, our living situation does not include extended family members, and we no longer have a live-in helper to help around with the kids and house either. We're happy with how things are at home. But juggling the kids when it comes to work can be a little tricky. 


So, today, I brought JJ to the office with me for the first time.




I was prepared to have to entertain him a little but, to my surprise, he 
occupied himself and was happy just being there. And it warmed my heart when I came down from a meeting with "The Boss" a.k.a Dee, and saw him sitting at my seat just doodling away. Exactly 30 years ago, I was also six and doing exactly this! Whiling my time away while my parents made a living at KRPG!




The aunties and uncles who worked at the KRPG in the two decades circa the years of 1990 through 2010 were like my extended family. And they were so very welcoming and kind. They fed me, entertained me, and helped raise me in the same way they say it takes a village to raise a child. I was blessed by their love, care and attention, and never once felt alone, lonely or neglected, despite being an only child.


Of course, the current team is very different. The nice aunties and uncles in the company have mostly moved on, and younger staff whom I have yet to bond with have taken their place. Once, I was the kiddo in the company; today, I feel old just looking at these newbies! And if I'm really being honest with myself, I am now the aunty. 🀦‍♀️πŸ˜…πŸ™†‍♀️ 




How quickly time flies, doesn't it? 30 years have come and gone in the blink of an eye. One moment I was six, and now my younger kid is the one who's six! Gosh. I guess we've come full circle a whole generation later. πŸ™ƒ I really hope JZ and JJ will grow up with as much fondness toward KRPG as I did. 

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Talk to me!