Friday, July 29, 2011

My Wedding Speech(es)

PAM'S SPEECH – SUNDAY, 3 JULY 2011

Hi, everybody! Thank you for making the time and effort to join us here today. Even Ky-Shen feels blessed and honoured, I’m sure. Although I think he probably hasn’t even personally met half of you. =p

Today is a very rare and very special occasion for me. But I’m probably not talking about what you think I am. I mean, sure, getting married is special. So is a wedding dinner to celebrate the marriage. Once in a lifetime and all that, right? But no. That’s not why this occasion means so much to me.

It’s special because today, every single person that I love and hold close to my heart are in the same room – Ky-Shen, my family, his family – OUR families. They’re all here. Two families, worlds apart, brought together by our love for each other.

Ky-Shen, I want to say thank you for being the man you are to me and have been to me these past 10 years. It’s been a long journey and sometimes, it still feels surreal that we’re actually here – married! You are my lover, my confidante, my friend. And I know I speak the truth when I say I’m looking forward to many more decades with you.

But a marriage is not just about two people. It’s about parents and family, too. Because of that, I'd like to thank my in-laws for being here today and for so graciously accepting me into the family as one of their own. I consider myself blessed to be a part of your family.

I'd also like to express my eternal gratitude to my parents for always having given me nothing less than their very best. 26++ years, Mee and Dee! You’ve raised me, cared for me and loved me beyond anyone ever has. Thank you for making me the person I am today. I am who I am because of who you have moulded me to be. I may technically belong to someone else from this day forth but know and remember this: I will always be your baby. And I love you very much. Thank you for everything.

And again, to all of you, thank you for coming.


-------------


PAM'S SPEECH – SATURDAY, 9 JULY 2011

Hi everybody! Like Ky-Shen said earlier, it’s so good to have all of you here with us today. Family and friends who have travelled far and wide – from Singapore, Australia, India, and all across Peninsular Malaysia – we are greatly honoured by your presence.

You know, up until 1am last night, friends of mine from KL were calling and texting me to inform me that they had to cancel their trips up at the very last minute. Roadblocks across KL and worried parents stood between them and Penang.

I texted Ky-Shen to inform him each time my end of the guest list shrank. And instead of getting upset about the empty seats like I expected he would be, he just asked, "You sad they not coming?" "A bit," I replied. And he said, "Don’t be sad. I’ll be there for sure."

And that was exactly what I needed to hear on the eve of our wedding day – the night before my "cha bo peng" of chi muis were to give him and his heng tais a hard time for winning their way into my room.

Ky-Shen, you always know what to say and do to make me feel better. Even though sometimes you bully me as if to make up for all the niceness you provide when it’s us against the world. I know you’re someone I can count on. For sure. During the good times, and the bad. And we’ve been through plenty of both so you know, I know, you know it’s true.

I'd also like to thank my new in-laws for being so graciously accepting of me, my quirks and my flaws. For, believe me when I say I have many.

Mama, thank you for all the love, care and kindness you've shown me throughout all these years. I appreciate the time we've spent together, the healthy relationship we share, and the many one to one heart to heart talks we’ve had. I may have married Ky-Shen, but I could never stand a chance against you. In managing the home, in the kitchen and in caring for him. Your maggi mee with egg will always be No.1 in his eyes.

Papa, thank you for the importance you've placed on family and ingrained in Ky-Shen, as well as the little bits of wisdom you've always so freely offered. I value your advice and the little but meaningful talks we've had about work, news, tech, life... and on how the iPhone is so much better than the Blackberry.

But having a new family doesn’t mean forgetting the very one that has raised me to become the person I am today. Having said that, I'd like to express my eternal gratitude to my parents for always having given me nothing less than their very best in all things.

Dee, thank you for your guidance, love and your influence in my life. Because of you, I can change a light bulb, I can paint doors and I can fix things. No sweat. I may be a girl, but being a girl doesn’t mean being soft and sissy. Because of you, I know I have the ability to do it all by myself, too. Just like boys can. But now that I have found a man to call my own, maybe I won’t have to anymore. =p

Mee, you have been my greatest pillar of support, my most faithful cheerleader and my very best girlfriend. I know you’ll miss me. But this time, you will lose. Because I will miss you more. Mee, don’t go into my room and smell what’s left of me after I’ve moved out ok? (I know you did that when I left for KL.) I will just be 5 minutes away.

Mee and Dee, I love you. I always will. Papa and Mama, over the years, I have grown to love you, too. And I didn’t even have to try. Thank you all for everything, and for what’s to come.

And a big thank you once again to all of you who have made the time and effort to be here.

20 comments :

Melsong said...

I cried all over again. 5 mins away is still 5 mins too far away.

Felicia Boo said...

I still regret not making it there :(

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Melsong
– Awww, I'm already where you'll be. See you here soon. =p

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Felicia Boo
– A lot of unforeseen circumstances that night for quite a number of my friends. =(

cuilin said...

I cried all over again, too.
congrats on the long journey coming together as one.
may all the best things be at your way.
love you loads.x

Pam Song said...

ATTN: cuilin
– Awww... thanks, babe. And thank you so much for helping out before and during the wedding. Couldn't have gone through the madness without you. <3

Melissa said...

{sniffles} :'( I cried all over again, three!

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Melissa
- Haha. Yay! Let's all have a cry-fest! =p

Schmae said...

I tahan-ed like mad okay when you made that speech!

Then I went to the ladies' and burst into tears lol. :')

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Sheng Mae
– Haha. You, too?? LOL. Looks like I was far from being the only one who let a tear drop that night. =p

Zhen Ying said...

The speeches are so sweet and thoughtful. I'm tearing up just reading the speeches. I wonder what will happen if I'd heard those on the wedding days. I may need lots and lots of tissue.

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Zhen Ying
– Haha. When you come back I show you the videos lah. Then you can experience it second hand. =p

nithyakuthiah said...

I missed this part of the night. If I were there sure waterworks kau-kau!

Pam Song said...

ATTN: - nithya -
– You missed it, too?? Turns out quite a number of ppl left by the time we gave our speeches. T_T

BenYong said...

aww, wish i was there to hear both of you speak!

Pam Song said...

ATTN: BenYong
– Haha. Turns out you weren't the only one who missed it. A lot of ppl did!

JK said...

Wa lau...so shweet...welcome to married life...not always bliss, but not all bad too :) Congrats !!!

Pam Song said...

ATTN: JK
– Hahaha. Spoken from experience and so very true! Thanks, JK. =)

Jeffro said...

I regret for not getting an invitation.. I could only imagine the sincere and touching words, based on the text above... I'd go "awwww"

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Jeffro
– David Cheong from DGMB didn't show up although he got an invitation and RSVP-ed. Should have given his spot to you instead. Bleh.

Post a Comment

Talk to me!