Sunday, July 31, 2011

London-Cambridge-London-Paris-London, July '11: Getting To London

So we had our Curry Laksa, mad-dashed our way to Gate A5, and realised... dang, we shouldn't have bothered running at all. The queue for boarding the flight was a million miles long! -_-'''


Passengers waiting in line to board flight SQ322 to London.


(Yes, I exaggerate. It adds a dash of drama to my story.)




As you can see from the picture above, there are two doors leading to two separate decks – upper deck and main deck – in the plane we were to be on. The upper one is for high-flying business class passengers, and the main deck serves regular folk like us who fly economy. :-/


Economy seats on the main deck.


Whateverrr... economy looks pretty okay to me!




We got the first row that was situated
right behind the airline staff's serving area
and the leg room was simply awesome.



Look at that, man... I could stretch my legs fully
and still not touch the panneling before me!


At first, I relished the extra space. Freedom of movement on long-haul flights is important. And that was something this seat allowed me. Only problem was... I was sitting next to a kid. *slaps forehead* On a 13h 23m flight. @_@ Noooo... But yes, as fate would have it, I ended up sitting next to a kid. This kid.


 
 

An ill-behaved brat who seemed intent on making my flight from Singapore to London the worst flight I've ever taken in my LIFE! Don't let that angelic mop of brown hair fool you, dear friends. For that child is evil! Pure evil! He was kicking me and smacking me with his toy bear throughout the flight, okay!! THROUGHOUT! Except for that glorious half hour when he ter-fell asleep. -_-''''


6 hours into the flight, my patience had run out and I was ready to belasah the boy halfway to stupid. But I tahan. Control. And did what any self-respecting adult would do. I jeling-ed him every 2 seconds in my mind. And decided to distract myself with laugh-worthy How I Met Your Mother episodes to take the edge off my irritation and growing annoyance.




All this while, The Husband slept. Not knowing that his new wife was being battered by a 2-year-old right next to him. T_T Seriously speaking, I don't know how I did it but by some miracle, I managed to make it through 13 hours without raising my hand and smacking his little brown-haired head.


Unfortunately, by the time the pilot started talking about London and about how we were landing in a half hour, I was worn out and jet-lagged from not having slept through the night. My panties were already up in a billion knots. So, when that boy whacked me one more time with that stupid brown bear he had with him, I ouch-ed loudly and tossed him and his mom a stare.


The Husband, who was awake by then, looked at me like he just married a psycho who hated kids and growled, "HE'S JUST A KID LAH," at me. @_@ Like wth??? That kid tortures me for 13 hours while he sleeps like a pig on Xanax and he gives me a look when I toss my very first stare their way? Too much. I dun care lah. Next time, HE will be the one sitting next to strangers. Grrrr... >(


*pauses*

Ok, I need to talk about happier things.

*Zen breath*

Like free hot towels before we took off. =)




They're such a nice welcome-on-board service. Would have been nice if they gave us one just before we landed, too. Especially after a long-haul flight, a hot towel would definitely be nice. =) Oh, and the other thing that makes me happy is food. Yeah, let's talk about food now.


In-flight menu.


I checked this little booklet out as soon as I got onboard and took
the following shots of what we had coming to fill our tummies.


 Beverages.


Hmmm... Not very promising for a first page. There's waaay too much alcohol in that list... and no food whatsoever!! Thank goodness the facing page made up for it in the form of some Indian Fish Curry with Spicy Vegetables and Basmati Rice.


Supper.


Indian Fish Curry, Spicy Vegetables and Basmati Rice.




This dish was just so-so for me. Even so, it looked a whole lot better than The Husband's Wok Fried Sliced Beef. I don't remember him enjoy it much. Haha.


Light Bites.


I was probably too taken over by the grumps caused by the little kid's kicking to notice any food going around cos I certainly don't remember eating anything between the in-flight supper and breakfast. :-/ Haiya... rugi liao la. If I was in my right mind, I would have taken the peanuts or the fruit. Nevermind. I did not make the same mistake on the flight back. =p


Breakfast!




I throughly enjoyed breakfast. Maybe cos all that seething on the inside zapped me of all my energy already. Haha. Fuel tank was running on empty and I badly needed a recharge. The sausage was so-so. The hash browns were mushy. The mushrooms were hard. The bread was cold. So what was so enjoyable about breakfast, you ask? THIS!


Rumbler's Cornflakes with Long Life Milk!


This is cereal magic in plastic, I tell you. Look!




What you see right there, is cornflakes with milk... but oh-oh look! It's pre-packed! And oh-oh cornflakes are still crispy, and the milk is still cold! =D


Separate packing for milk and cornflakes doubled up in one pack!


Dry (in a good way!), crispy cornflakes on one side.


Cold milk with an easily opened packaging on the other side.


Just open and pour!






And before you know it... TADAAA!!!




Cornflakes with cold milk! =D

Ahh, such brilliance in breakfast.
It can only be Rumbers.




If only they sold this stuff here in Malaysia. =(


Anyway... since all that food talk has taken my mind off that nasty kid, I'll go back to talking about the flight. Considering it was my first time on the Airbus A380, I figured I should read the safety information leaflet. You know... just in case. 




So I read it. A half hour before we landed. =p 


Ok la. Overall, I personally think there's no real big difference between an Airbus A380 and a Boeing 747. Lavatories were pretty much the same on the inside and so were the seat sizes – same-same only. Entertainment-wise, also not much difference. So... maybe only the Upper Deck fellows got the good stuff. I dunno. From what I saw, it all looked the same to me. With just a little less turbulence during the flight.


...on the other hand, that realisation
could just have been my imagination. Haha.

Next post? London, bay-beh! =p


-----------------
Related Posts
-----------------

8 comments :

Chun Leung said...

!!! you didnt get any sleep? that is tough. i've never not sleep during my time on the plane to london. too torturing. at most i could sneak in 3 movies on board, the rest goes to ZZzz.

the only good thing about upper deck is the reduced number of economic seats compared to lower deck. the lavatories are the same :P well.. you can say you sat behind the first class!

Zhen Ying said...

I understand how you felt sitting next to that brat. I've sat next to a kid who kept up kicking me whenever she tried to turn around in her seat. Its so irritating and the worse part is that her mum was SLEEPING!!!!!!!!!! I guess that's the price you pay to seat in the first row. @___@"

kellster said...

I know how you felt.
Gosh but 13 hours.
At least when I was a child when I went to UK, i was rather well behaved. Despite I didn't sleep my mom said i ran up and down the aisle with my socks quietly and the air-hostess adored me :D i came back with tons of snacks and colouring books.

But when i went to brisbane last dec, there was a kid exactly like that, only he sat 2 chairs away from me, and he flung his toys at ME!
and cried and wailed and made hell of noise.
and his parents did nothing!

I admired you for ur patience, if me, DIE LONG TIME ALREADY.

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Chun Leung
– Nope. No sleep. Not like I didn't try lah. I mean, I tried to sleep but the constant kicking and hitting kept me pretty much wide awake throughout the flight. >(

Sleep is so precious when travelling abroad on long-haul flights. You've been a lucky fellow to have been able to always have good travel companions that allow you the rest you need!

Ooo... You're an upper-decker!!!

And no lah. I didn't sit behind first class. First class is also upstairs wan. I sat behind another full cabin of Economy. :-/


ATTN: Zhen Ying
– Ya lor! Irritating kids with stupid moms who are so inconsiderate! This kid's mom just said, "Alexxx.... Alex... Don't make mummy cross, okay?" Then she went back to doing nothing. @_@ WAT THE HECK?? Smack the his face already lah! Haha. We Asians are so much more brutal with our kids but I think they come out more obedient in the end.


ATTN: kellster
– I just wanted to die lah, babe. Seriously. You know, now that you mentioned it, I half-wished he was running around. At least that would mean he wasn't next to me. T_T

And I dunno what it is about ang moh kids lah... but they're so big-sized that they're not exactly... "cute", you know? So you dun feel like... "Aiya, small kid only, summore so cute, give face a bit." You just feel like smacking them for being so big and still so stupid. @_@

Dang, that was a lot of frustration talking. HAHA.

Chun Leung said...

...upper-decker sounds wierd. honestly!~

well, i've sat next to a 'big' man before!

and how bout a snorer too...

but i tell myself i ain't letting anyone get in my way for my few hours of precious ZZzz :P

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Chun Leong
– Best way I could put it considering you've been... well, up there. Hahaha. Eee... can't stand snorers. I think I'd keep moving around so that the fella keeps waking up. HAHA.

Jeffro said...

WAH! Life documentary on plane! LOL *salutes to the lady who bared the 13 hrs torture from a kid! You know what? Be proud! At least this shows you'll be a good mum! =P

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Jeffro
– Haha. Good mom? More like good stranger. If I was the mom, I'd probably have smacked him right, left and center already. Hahaha.

Post a Comment

Talk to me!