Monday, October 29, 2012

Frankie Pizza, Bee Hooi Restaurant

Today, I'm going to introduce you to my very favourite el cheapo pizza on Penang Island – Frankie Pizza. It's situated at a busy corner lot kopi tiam at Pulau Tikus, along the same row as the Baskin Robbins, and right opposite Belissa Row. It's cheap and not at all fancy, but it. is. da. bomb. =D


Back when I was in upper secondary, my oldest friend in the world (time since we've known each other; not her age) and I used to have it for dinner every Friday night after tuition. (Yup, that's how we roll. Cheap pizza, followed by expensive take-away Ice-Blended Pure Vanilla from Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf across the road at Belissa Row. =p)


Well, we've been talking about revisiting our shared past by indulging in classic high-school-time food in my recent Mee Goreng post so... needless to say, I've been longing for it for a bit now. Didn't think I would get to tuck into a good, cheap, hot Frankie Pizza anytime soon given my situation but... surprise, surprise! Last Saturday's massive jam across the island fulfilled my dreams and made the impossible possible.


It was a long weekend, the jam was horrendous, we were out of gas... and wonder of all wonders, Bee Hooi Restaurant was the closest kopi tiam to us. So that's where we ended up for dinner! Unplanned. Haha! So OF COURSE, since I'm already here and all *flips hair, blows nails* I just had to have my Frankie Pizza in Chicken Ham with Extra Cheese sprinkled on top. =D =D =D






Ok, to be fair, I think the previous college dude who ran the stall used to be a lot more generous with the chicken ham. So was the Indonesian maid who took over after he left. This new Chinese aunty I've never seen before is a bit kiam siap so it's not as rewarding eating this as it was before. (It's been y-e-a-r-s since I've had a Frankie Pizza so I'm not sure when the changing of hands took place. :-/ #lousypatron) But even then, it tasted just like I remembered it to. DELICIOUS! In a cheap, no-frills pizza kinda way. Haha.


Oh, and as always, I took out
what I don't eat from my pizza:


Onions – good for flavour, not for eating. =p


Haha. My old friend used to eat all of this for me. (She likes onions; I don't.) This time around, it all went to waste. BUT NEXT TIME... when she's back... we are soooo having Chicken Ham Frankie Pizza with Extra Cheese (and Ice-Blended Pure Vanilla from Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf) again together. I can't wait! =D =D =D


----------------


To my oldest friend in the world, Gannie,

A reunion is in order! 
Can't wait till January. =)

XOXO,
Pam Song


------------------
FRANKIE PIZZA
------------------
Bee Hooi Restaurant
Lorong Pulau Tikus
Pulau Tikus, 10350, Penang

Opening Hours: 6pm – 12am

12 comments :

陳一豪 said...

How does this compare to Jalan Rangoon's Sin Kim San?

I've only had that before, but its pretty good! Not too exp at RM11 / pizza too.

Pam Song said...

ATTN: 陳一豪
– Urm... this Penangite is ashamed to say that she has never tried that Sin Kim San pizza you speak of. :-/ I a bit stick in the mud la. Haha. Always go back to the same place if I think it's good. This wan also not ex. About same price.

infinitium said...

I second and third the Rangoon Road one.. that one lah is DA BOMB. Hands down the bestest ever pizza on this island.

The kind aunty who dishes it out fires up the pizza in her aging wood-fired oven. Nice smoky aftertaste. GO TRY!

Pam Song said...

ATTN: infinitium
– REALLY??? Hmmm... Ok! Will go try. One day. Next year. HAHAHAHA. It'd better be good, man. You tried Frankie Pizza at this branch before or not?

Zhen Ying said...

Where is Rangoon Road???? I can't even put that name to any road in Penang. @__@ Such a lousy Penangnite.

Let's go!!!!!!!! I am so looking forward to our pizza and Pure Vanilla dinner again!!!!!

ps: Let's order without onions next time. Or, you can happily pick the onions from your side and I'll only have mine. LOL.

Zhen Ying said...

Thanks for the dedication!!! I'm so touched by it. :D I really miss our Friday night dinners after tuition. We can go try both out when I'm back.

infinitium said...

Pam: yes, i've had it before. pales in comparison to Rangoon Road one!

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Zhen Ying
– I don't know where Rangoon Road is. Haha. I'm a lousy Penangite, too! Hahahaha. I learned to drive in KL la. But the road does sound familiar. Google maps only lah. Haha.

Yesss! Let's go! I'm just waiting for your dates. Haha.

Cannot order without onions wan. The pizza will taste like crap. I want the taste. But I don't want to eat 'em. Hahaha. I'll pick out. I'm glad to see you've grown out of the onion overdose. I don't know how you could stomach it last time. Hahaha.


ATTN: infinitium
– Hmmm... *doubtful* Ok! Will go try one day! What is the name of the kopi tiam?

Zhen Ying said...

Lol... I'm still big on onions. Cooked onions are yum. They're sweet unlike raw onions. Yuck!!!

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Zhen Ying
– Yuck to both in my books! Hahaha.

infinitium said...

forgot the name. but it's the only kopitiam along Rangoon road. can't miss it....

陳一豪 said...

Thanks infinitium for the comparison.

Now I can stay at Rangoon for my pizzas!

And yes the aunty is super nice. My little cousins go gaga over her.

Post a Comment

Talk to me!