Sunday, May 05, 2013

Taiwan, April '13: Din Tai Fung (鼎泰豐), Sogo, Zhongxiao Fuxing Station

Woke up the next morning and had Chinese porridge with salted egg for breakfast. The wonderful thing about Taiwan is that their rice is just so "kiu kiu" (i.e. bouncy?) that it makes whatever dish it's used for amazing. Even plain porridge. And their salted egg? Wowza! I wish I had a picture to show you but... aiyah, none.

NOTE: You'll notice there are a lot of missing photos this trip. Either cos I can't show you the people who are in the photo, or cos I had my hands full with the baby so I couldn't take any pictures to begin with. =( Sorry. Oh yes, and cos this was a Chinese place and I'm banana, although I promise to try, I probably can't tell you where I went and what the place is called either. -_-''' #failedblogger

Anyway, back to Day 2 of our trip to Taiwan. We got the baby bundled up and off we went to catch an MRT to Zhongxiao Fuxing Station via the Brown Line.






Public transportation in Taipei is very much first-world standard, if you ask me. For instance, you always stand on the right on escalators to make way for others to walk on the left. (Just like London!) Priority seats are available for the elderly, the handicapped, pregnant women, as well as for those with babies. (Just like Singapore!) People actually get up to let you have their seat if you fall into any one of those categories, too. Oh, and you don't talk, laugh or answer calls loudly in the MRT either. So considerate la, these Taiwanese! I like!


Less intricate than the London Underground but still
waaay more effective and travel-friendly than our local
rail systems (i.e. KTM, LRT and KL Monorail).


A short ride later and... TADAAAA!




DIN. TAI. FUNG. TAIWAN, BAY-BEH!


The DTF mascot with a XLB head! Haha!


But... as is to be expected at any popular eatery during lunch hour, we had to take a number and wait. So, take a number we did! But wait, we didn't. Haha. Instead, my poor 15yo cousin-in-law, Celine, had to wait alone on our behalf while the rest of us went to check out the mall with Aunty Mee as our guide. We went merayau-rayau everywhere. Checked out the food court (my favourite item from said food court in another post, ok) and the local supermarket, too!


That grey bump you see on the right
is my son's butt in his sling. =p


Guess what. THEY SELL DURIANS!! Haha. Most surprisingly, the durians sold there did NOT smell AT ALL. In fact, we didn't even know they were selling durians until we saw the spiky mound! How come ah? Fake wan issit? Less superior than the durians we get locally? Hmmm... I wonder.


There was also a florist somewhere in Sogo so
I ended up sneaking in some more plant/flower shots.







The orchids here are really pretty. So perfect to the point that they look fake! A million times nicer than the orchids you find in Singapore, to be honest. Haha. These should have been Taiwan's national flower instead. =p


And then, we got the call. To head back to DTF for lunch? No. We wished. Instead, Celine called cos – guess what – they gave our seats away to another group!! NoooOOOoOoOOoOOOoo!!! -_-''' Said we weren't all there and couldn't order so we didn't deserve the place or something like that. Big time boo!


So, we all got our butts back to DTF ASAP and Aunty Mee tried to reason with the ladies at the reception. Thankfully, she managed to get us all in without having to wait a second round. Woo hoo! But yes, now you know. Whole group must wait there, ok? Cannot merayau-rayau. :-/


Now, for the food...


 Fried Rice with Prawns.

 My portion. Check out the rice. Every grain, so "kiu kiu" and nice!

Shrimp & Pork Shao Mai.


And... urm... that's all the pics
I have of the food we ate there.

Bwahahaha.


Sorry la, guys. Not easy balancing a feeding baby, a camera and my food/chopsticks/spoon at the same time, okayyy. -_- But don't you worry. We ordered three or four varieties of the world famous Xiao Long Bao (小籠包). =D Having said that, I'm not a very big fan of XLBs. I don't very much fancy dim sum of any sort either. HAHA. So... the DTF XLB's greatness is lost on me. I did LOVE the fried rice, though. So tasty! And the rice... oh the rice! BIG TIME LOVE for Taiwanese rice.


----------------
Related Posts
----------------

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Talk to me!