Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Best Char Koay Teow On Penang Island!

Last Saturday afternoon, The Fiancé and I decided to reward ourselves with the best Char Koay Teow on Penang Island. The best Char Koay Teow IN THE WORLD, in fact! It's so good it makes my mouth water and my stomach growl just thinking about it. *mouth waters, stomach growls* -_-'''



The best Char Koay Teow stall evarrr!


This humble stall sits at the corner of Siam Road, Penang and is run by an old uncle and his son. The old uncle never looks up from his kuali. And his son never gets an order wrong. EVER. Trust me, I know. I place the weirdest orders and he's never gotten it wrong before. And I'm not the only one to attest to it. Soya Legs swears by that claim, too! But good memory and awesome skills aside, what makes this Char Koay Teow special is the fact that the uncle doesn't use gas to fry his koay teow. Instead, he uses arang batu. That's red hot fiery coals, man! Totally old school and authentic. No wonder lah, so good.


Char Koay Teow-ing in action!


But... as with all good things in life, good food comes with a good long wait. Haha. So I ended up taking pictures of anything and everything in sight while we waited for our coal-fried tea to arrive. =p


Water droplets the kopi tiam uncle left when he served us.


The Fiancé's arm and hand hair.


And then... three plates of heaven arrived before us.


2 big plates and 1 small for a Char Koay Teow deprived couple.


Three perfect plates of the world's best Char Koay Teow. =D


Filled with taugeh, ku chai, lap cheong, and see ham – all of which I don't eat, no thanks to The Fiancé who apparently insists on knowing less about what I like to eat and what I don't compared to my better, more understanding friends in Penang and KL. *grunt*


Anyway, after a lot of picking and prodding and tossing and turning, I finally managed to pick up all the koay teow and prawns, while leaving behind every other bit of nonsense that did nothing but ruin the dish and cause me trouble. In that time, the old uncle's Char Koay Teow line grew in length as compared to earlier when The Fiancé placed our order.


Everybody waiting to tapau, minus the many others
who were waiting in the coffee shop directly opposite.


@_@

I wonder how long these folks would be waiting now!
Doesn't matter, though. He's totally worth the wait. =)

8 comments :

RealGunners said...

Siam Road.. that's a road name I'm not familiar with, maybe I should go hunt it out...
and.. and.. without your so called nonsense, the CKT won't taste like CKT hahahha

Pam Song said...

ATTN: RealGunners
– Ooo, go go! The uncle used to sell at night along Anson Road, too, but after the building went into construction, he stopped and now only sells in the afternoon to evening.

And it still tastes like CKT without all that! You never try before you dunno. In fact, it tastes even MORE like CKT! Pure and unadulterated. =p

RealGunners said...

i mean, if the CKT is not fried together with those ingredients, then the taste will be different one..

Pam Song said...

ATTN: RealGunners
– Eh... same same wan. Haha. It still tastes nice. Maybe cos the wok already got the smell of all the ingredients over the years. Encrusted into the black black sai on the wok liao. HAHA.

-yong may- said...

YES!!!! Siam Road Char Kuey Teow is my favourite too! I've tried once and it brought me to culinary heaven! Haha. But I went back like a couple of times but he wasn't there. The uncle got mood wan. :P

Pam Song said...

ATTN: -yong may-
- No, no. It's very sad but the story I heard was that his wife passed away so he stopped frying for a very long while. =( He's back in action now though. =)

-yong may- said...

Oopsie. My bad. That's sad. No wonder he wasn't there most of the time last year. But yeah, he's Char Kuey Teow is superb! =)

Pam Song said...

ATTN: -yong may-
– Ya, quite sad. But yesss! His CKT is top notch!

Post a Comment

Talk to me!