Sunday, February 15, 2009

To Love Is To Give

I learned this lesson today.


I learned that to love is to be able to sacrifice yourself for another. Because the act of loving isn't about you. It's not about receiving. It's about giving. And if you're not prepared to give, you're not prepared to love.


I mean, It's not like I've never heard this being said
or known it before. But today, it really struck me.

Because I came to realise... that I'd stopped giving.


I stopped giving because I stopped believing in people and their intentions. I stopped giving because I thought that all people liked about me and what they wanted from me was only what I had to offer. I stopped giving because I never learned to trust again. I stopped giving because I told myself that I'd given enough once before. I stopped giving because the thought of putting myself out there scares me. I stopped giving because the last time I did, I got hurt. And...


I stopped giving because I needed
to know that other person would
be willing to give even if I didn't.


That the other person would love me enough to give without expecting anything in return. And besides, I always told myself that when I decided on who it was I wanted to share my life with, I'd eventually want to give again. And to be honest, I still believe I would eventually find myself wanting to give again if I found that perfect someone.


So... this whole non-giving thing I practiced
sort of became my little (unintended) test for
the people who dared invite me into their lives.

But that's not fair of me.


I guess I've known it all along – that I wasn't being fair to the people around me. I just never bothered to deal with it. Or rather I never dared to. Because as much as giving of myself is scary, loving is, too. All the more so, in fact. And if I can't bring myself to love another like one should a lover, I can't possibly give. And if I can't give, how can I find love enough for another within myself?


You see, over time, this whole concept of loving being equated to giving became something I knew in my head, but no longer did in the physical. Not because I didn't want to. I mean, I felt the tugging, that's for sure. But I never acted on it because I never found the courage to do it all over again after being put through some tough times the last time I gave my all.


I guess what they say about broken-before hearts is true. The pain goes away (numbs itself, rather) but the hurts never really heal. The scars never quite disappear. We just cover it up real well with fake smiles and phony laughter. Self-preservation and all that other nonsense, you know?


So... I guess what I need now is
to learn to deal with my inability to give.

But how?


I was the girl who burned a mix-CD of sappy love songs and prepared a love-pill-a-day pack (haha, how corny of me) for her best friend-turned-boyfriend-turned-ex-boyfriend-turned-friend. The girl who used to buy her then-boyfriend tennis tees from Nike every time she saw any cool ones just cos she knew he'd love them. The girl who once gave her then-boyfriend a gift every month to celebrate the passing of their monthiversaries. The girl who could find it in herself to send "I love you" and "I miss you" SMS and chat messages that ended with "Muaks" or "Hugs" just because. The girl who wrote and posted an update-letter a day to her then-boyfriend who was miles and miles away from home so he'd never feel alone or out of touch with the people who mattered in his life.


I was once the girl who never failed to remember birthdays, who always sent her best wishes no matter what. The girl who used to love shopping for (or making) birthday and Christmas gifts for the people she cared for. The girl who actually took the time to really think about what people liked and wanted for Christmas or their birthdays, and then did the best she could to give it to them. The girl who stayed up with friends when they were down and needed a shoulder to cry on or an ear to listen to what they had to say. The girl who also stayed up with them for nothing more than just to spend quality time together, building the friendship in a car with the music on and the windows down.


I used to be the girl who left others hand-crafted, inspirational notes or surprise cards or bookmarks every other week. The girl who was always first to send a heartfelt SMS when it was Mother's Day or Father's Day. The girl who always sent Christmas and Chinese New Year cards to those who've touched her life. The girl who bought hundreds and hundreds of Hallmark and Memory Lane cards whenever she saw any that struck her fancy even though there was no need for a card at the time because she knew that she'd eventually find someone who deserved one. The girl who not only believed that Valentines was special, but also believed that every day was Valentines when she loved and was being loved in return.


Sigh.

I miss that girl. And I want her back.

22 comments :

jack said...

wow.. i can see u've given alot.. gee.. i don't believe i'd done that much.. *pai~seh*

but than i believe in give without expecting anything in return.. maybe bcoz as u expect more in return the more disappointed if u get..

i can see the wall u build.. hope the next person who came knocking down yar wall will build a secure wall for both of u (^^)..

*burb* time to call it a nite.. em so gonna get a hangover 2moro... cis...

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Jack
– Well, at the time, I didn't quite have to think while I was giving so it didn't seem like a lot. But now... looking back it only feels like a lot cos I'm doing much of anything for others these days. And that's kinda sad.

Loving and giving brings happiness, too. And if I can only receive, then I'm only indulging myself in half the happiness. I remember when I used to do all those things. The best part was preparing for all that. The DOING part. And of course seeing the reaction of the people I give unto. But yeah. Giving brings a great deal of joy, too.

And yes. Expectation plays a big part. And I'm not saying I keep getting disappointed these days. It's just that I could be happier if I'd just let myself go and not keep all I have to myself.

"i can see the wall u build.. hope the next person who came knocking down yar wall will build a secure wall for both of u (^^)..

I hope so, too. =)

Whaley Bear said...

Well...thank you for the late belated birthday sms, it showed you remembered despite how late...

hugs...you'll get that girl, back in no time...

N

Melsong said...

That girl is still there. I know.

A seed in winter will sprout and blossom when spring comes, and spring will surely come.

yapthomas said...

Correct LAH!!! :D
Lesson well learnt eh...

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Whaley Bear
– I sure hope so.


ATTN: Melsong
– Can't find the key to let her out.


ATTN: yapthomas
– Haha. Well... shows we should go back again every weekend, eh?

Melissa said...

Hey sweetie,

It's only natural, innate in fact, to build up a wall of defense when so much has happened to guard from being hurt ever again.

If there is one thing I've learnt, I learnt this: To not lose hope in love because miracles do happen.

I know it is better to give than to receive, so here it is: A big *HUG* to YOU. You need it much more than I do =)

Unknown said...

this is all fine and dandy but this is what growing up is all about i guess. and if we are not careful, we lose the Source of our giving and when that runs dry, 'giving' (forced and squeezed as it may be) can be hollow, meaningless and lifeless...

B.H. said...

Maybe there's a reason why we never reconciliate with the Ghosts of Christmas Past.

Life intends for us to become cynical relics who reminisce over missed opportunities and lost ideals.

Such is the irony of life.

B.H.

alvinrox said...

Can we be friends? =)

Pam, you're a good soul. Never once fail to lift up my bored dull Sunday with your post.

God bless you.

Resurrected said...

I've found that boy again after being jaded for a bit. I am sure you can find that girl too =)

Jeffro said...

Awwwh.. *pats back* Well at least at the moment, I'm joining you - I can't give at all, just because..

Don't worry, till you find someone that is able to break down your fortress of insecurity, you have us bunch of whacked up people to bring up the ambiance of happiness around you..

Things in the past (be it bad or good) are just to remind us of mistakes that happened and/or to give us that sweet memories that we cherish most.. I mean, if they didn't happen, if we never got hurt, if we didn't love and give so much, how would we know whether or not happiness exist, whether or not love could be so great, or even knowing that we actually have so much to give?

That girl you'd mentioned is still inside of you, not gone, not forgotten, however she's just not ready to come out yet.. Truth be told, time does not heal a scar (as you've said) nor does it heal the emotional pain one is going through, but what time can do is allowing one to accept the reality that it's over and done, allowing one to get ready for the next one, and opening oneself to love not only others, but most important of all, to allow him or her to love herself..

*hugs* Just believe and continue believing.. and one day when the time comes, you'll know how wonderful it is.. because it will last longer than you can imagine.. =)

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Melissa
– Hey ya babe...

And you're right. It's natural to build walls. It just sucks when the walls not only shut other people out, it shuts you in, too. That's the bad part of being all walled up.

And no, I haven't lost faith in love. =) I just need to learn how to be a part of it again.

Thanks for the hug. =)


ATTN: Nerdfreak99
– You're right. It gets so tiring having to love when you're running on empty. And I don't want to be empty anymore. But I don't know where to start filling up so that I can start giving with a smile again.


ATTN: B.H.
– Hmmm. I think I'd prefer reminiscing good times. Not so much the bad stuff that tear us down. That aside, life IS ironic. When I was giving, I received little. But when I give nothing, I receive lots. So where does do as you would others do unto you come in? Timing a bit salah.

Pam Song said...

ATTN: alvinrox
– Haha. Of course we can. =p

And thanks, Alvin. I'm glad my rantings perked you up. =p God bless you, too.


ATTN: Resurrected
– How'd you go about finding him? Got a PI to intro to me?


ATTN: Jeffro
– Hmmm. You can't give, too? You're too young to be that jaded, boy! Haha.

But yeah. I'm glad I have you guys around while I while my time away with man-less-ness. HAHA.

And yeah. I have also come to realise that I know now how much I am capable of giving. And I only know that for sure cos I've given once before. I just need to kickstart that engine again and get it running. I'm getting rusty with the giving. Haha.

Loving myself. That's a nice concept. I think I'd like to try that. Haha. I've never really thought about it, actually. I mean, deep down inside I must have known but then... it just wasn't put as clearly. And yeah. Before one learns to love another, one needs to learn to love one's self.

Thanks, Jeffro.

ming said...

i miss that girl too!

stop building the wall! the concrete and cement is so expensive ok!

Simon Seow said...

Fan loi lor, fan loi lor.

Pam Song said...

ATTN: ming
– Haha. Ekonomi meleset! Mesti tukar tektik!

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Simon Seow
– Fan kan. Fan kan.

yapthomas said...

Every weekend that is!!! :D
But I'm gonna miss this week's... :(
UPDATE ME!!!!

Jeffro said...

LOL.. to be young to be jaded.. =.=" age is of no matter to me lady..

if your engine's rusty, put some oil into it, or better still wait for it to warm up.. =D

anytime at all, anytime.. Ur UTMOST welcome.. =P

B.H. said...

I think most of us come to notice that in time.

So, question is: do we persist with these principles or cave in to life's realities?

I think being selfish attracts people who think there's more to you underneath the cold, unfeeling facade and try to change you.

Whereas people who are generous and giving are taken for granted.

Go figure.

B.H.

Pam Song said...

ATTN: yapthomas
– Hahaha. HOWWW???


ATTN: Jeffro
– Hahaha. You sound like Yoda. =p


ATTN: B.H.
– I don't know lah, really. And yes... perhaps being selfish does have its attractions. Cos when those people manage to break down the walls, they get something other people only get to imagine is there. Hmmm. When you put it that way (that generous people always get taken for granted), seems better being the selfish one. Life and its many ironies.

Post a Comment

Talk to me!