Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Facebook Wedding Invitations

The effortlessly fast and eco-friendly option we all should get on board with? Or the cheapskate and lazy (wo)man's way out of sending formal invitations? Hmmm, I can't decide. But one thing I do know, is that I've been receiving them more and more often these days. One invite to a wedding or an engagement party every couple of months at the very least.




But one thing I have noticed – and believe me, I'm not trying to be racist here – is that wedding invitations of the e-sort often come from my non-Chinese, not-so-close "associates". (Read: Barely friends from a whole lifetime away.) At first I wondered why. But after some thought, I think I've finally figured it out.


You see, unlike Chinese weddings that are often held in hotel banquet halls with tables costing over a thousand ringgit each, non-Chinese weddings are usually either cosy held-at-home kenduris, or mass self-service buffet-line / three-course dinners at hotels / local town halls. Because of that, comparatively, the cost of hosting a wedding becomes lower for the non-Chinese that it is for the Chinese.


Having said that, it makes perfect sense for those in the former position to go right on ahead and invite every random person on their Facebook friend list, whether or not they really want them there. Why? Cos the red packet gain from inviting a long lost half-friend greatly outweighs the price of the meal they'll be paying for should the person click 'Yes' in answer to the e-invite sent out. Haha. Smart eh?


But whatever.


It is my (and The Fiancé's) personal opinion that a wedding should never be conducted like a hit-and-run money making business, or viewed as a get-rich-quick scheme. (Considering what we're coughing out for ours, it definitely isn't in our case. -_-''') Instead, your wedding day is the one day where you get to celebrate your love for one another before God, family and friends. And there's no price anybody can put on that.


But... I've heard more than my fair share of stories about friends (and some family) actually having made money out of their big day. So it really isn't all that impossible if you're thrifty, good with money and are blessed with really, really generous friends with deep pockets. HAHA. Can break even wan. Even if you don't send e-invites via Facebook Events. =p

13 comments :

Jeffro said...

You scared me there for a while.. At first I'd thought you gonna opt for fb invitations hahaha

Lissa said...

Haha... Yeah, it's possible to break even. With rich relatives and generous friends. ~.~

Jin said...

i havent send you my facebook invitation. maybe i just tag u first. :P

RealGunners said...

nowadays people very smart one, they know how much your dinner cost by looking at the venue, if u el cheapo, they will said u el cheapo for the rest of your life lo...

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Jeffro
– Chei! Of course not lah. I'm hardcopy all the way wan! Hahaha.


ATTN: Lissa
– You said it, sista! Gotta find me some of those! HAHAHA.


ATTN: Jin
– Wah! Saw liao. Haha. You shall appear on Tinki Talks soon. =p


ATTN: RealGunners
– Eh, nowadays ppl also very smart. They see cheap venue, they call you el cheapo. They see expensive venue, they appreciate and give you same angpow. Loss is on you. Haha. Difference is they know if they make or lose. You don't. Until after. =p

Terence Song said...

Agree with Lisa, but I do remember getting a RM2 ang pow at the tea ceremony for my wedding - and that was in 2004 #_#

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Terence Song
– Wah! Sure bo??? RM2?? That's crazy wei. And if tea ceremony means... it was from FAMILY!? No way! Definitely not my family. =p

Lissa said...

RM2 is just sick. -.-

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Lissa
– Ya lor. Where can RM2 wan?! I think the minimum standard for Chinese weddings nowadays would be about RM100. I mean, still got hotel tables so cheap wan meh?? No way! At least not for all the weddings I attended in KL whilst I was there.

Lissa said...

Not for RM2. HAHA.

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Lissa
– Crazy right? Haha. Can buy 1 Coke and 1 karipap.

Lissa said...

LMAO!

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Lissa
– True story. =p

Post a Comment

Talk to me!