Thursday, August 13, 2020

Lau Gin Na: When Mommies Die... Or Don't They?

It was bedtime and we've had a long day. I was just preparing the kids that I wouldn't be at home tomorrow morning because I had my annual ultrasound and mammogram due – yes, it's been a year ðŸŒˆ – when JJ turned to me with earnest eyes and asked...


JJ: Mommy? What happens when you die?

Pam Song: Hmm? What do you mean?

JJ: What happens to us when you die?


🥺 My heart broke when I heard the worry
behind his seemingly innocent question. 💔


Sigh. I feel so sorry that my kids are plagued with such heavy thoughts for children so young. I know I should have gone into how it would be okay and that there are people who will still love and care for him and yada-yada-yada. And that someday, we will meet again after death and be together once more in heaven and bla-bla-bla. But... it wasn't that kind of night. And I felt that he just wanted reassurance that I would be okay. So instead, I said... 


Pam Song: *comfortingly* I will never die.

JJ: 😲 What???

Pam Song: (Nonsense lai liao. 😅😂) Ya. Mommies never die.

JJ: Huh!? Why?! 

Pam Song: Cos when mommies die no one takes care of the kids. So God takes special care of mommies. 

JJ: Ohhhh... That makes sense!

Pam Song: 😂😂😂


And then he snuggled up to me and promptly fell asleep.


Life is short. And every moment is precious. But sometimes we fail to see the truth in those words until we're hit by the tough realities of life – like sickness, suffering and sadness. And as much as I am forever changed by Cancer, I need to remember, so are my kids. They just don't know it yet. 😔 #cancersucks

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Talk to me!