Sunday, September 16, 2018

Nothing Compares 2U

Artist: SinΓ©ad O'Connor
Song Title: Nothing Compares 2U





It's been seven hours and fifteen days
Since you took your love away
I go out every night and sleep all day
Since you took your love away

Since you been gone I can do whatever I want
I can see whomever I choose
I can eat my dinner in a fancy restaurant
But nothing
I said nothing can take away these blues
'Cause nothing compares
Nothing compares to you

It's been so lonely without you here
Like a bird without a song
Nothing can stop these lonely tears from falling
Tell me, baby, where did I go wrong

I could put my arms around every boy I see
But they'd only remind me of you
I went to the doctor and guess what he told me?
Guess what he told me?
He said girl you better try to have fun
No matter what you do, but he's a fool
'Cause nothing compares
Nothing compares to you

All the flowers that you planted, Mama
In the back yard
All died when you went away
I know that living with you, baby, was sometimes hard
But I'm willing to give it another try
'Cause nothing compares
Nothing compares to you

Nothing compares
Nothing compares to you
Nothing compares
Nothing compares to you


Heard this song on the radio and suddenly felt reminiscent of my late nights in advertising. I smiled and my heart warmed at the memory. Just the handful of us... working in the dead of the night... having quiet discussions... typing and clicking frantically on our keyboards, mouses and laptops... and that one colleague who would always play this song whenever Emo Hour hit. Haha. Oh, the feels! I remember it like it was yesterday – the good old days of good times past. ☺️


"How apt," I think now, when I bumped into an ex-colleague while waiting for the lift at SIBKL today. I didn't even know we were in the same church! We weren't all that close before but today, I felt oddly excited to see her after such a long while. I felt a connection. A bond that didn't stem from sisterhood or friendship. No, it was passion – a passion for writing. Suddenly, it dawned upon me and I realised...


...that prayer moves the hands of God
and miracles happen when you least expect it. 


I started working on a freelance copywriting job last week. And in hindsight, I realise now that how it happened could only have been possible through God's divine intervention. You see, I had shared with a couple of ladies in my cell prayer group the following message on 12 August 2018 – "...for me to find joy in being a housewife because I find that I miss working a lot lately. I miss my independence and the satisfaction of having a career and a paycheck."


Here's a timeline of everything
that happened thereafter.

12 AUGUST 2018 – Prayer request sent to Faithful Friends' Ladies Club Prayer Group.
13 AUGUST 2018 – Prayed for via WhatsApp.
24 AUGUST 2018 – Ex-partner at MCKL shoots me a text asking if I still do freelance work (I haven't heard from him in YEARS) and we set an appointment for a briefing.
6 SEPTEMBER 2018 – Briefing done and dusted. And so, work begins. 

And with that, my prayer
was sent and answered in 25 days.


It's been 10 days since the day and I feel motivated. Driven. Purposeful. Thankful. Prior to this, I had begun to feel like the days were just beginning to blend into each other. The humdrum of Mommy life is as boring to me as it is tiring. Having said that, I enjoy the time I get to spend with the boys and I like it when we enjoy each others' company. But I don't enjoy the teaching and lecturing and intense eyeballing and threatening in order for anything to get done. πŸ˜…


I perpetually feel swamped and overwhelmed as a mom. But I also feel purposeless. Like my life has lost its meaning. This incongruity between what I want to do, and what I am doing is slowly causing me more and more cognitive dissonance, which then, ultimately results in a growing measure of unhappiness and dissatisfaction within me. And we all know the two rules of having a happy family, right? 😏


RULE #1: Happy wife, happy life.
RULE #2: Happy mom, happy kids.

#truestory #taktipu


Some people feel happiest when they're travelling. ✈️ Or shopping. πŸ’Έ Or gossiping. 😳 Me? I feel happiest when I'm writing. And I've come to realise that when I don't write, I'm less happy. Less satisfied. Less contented. Perhaps it's because I lack an outlet for release. K-dramas can only do so much. πŸ˜†πŸ˜…πŸ˜‚


Anyhoo... enough blogging. Time to kut lat cho kang and get back to my freelance work. πŸ“ God-willing, may this be the beginning of my return to writing / advertising / freelancing / working life. Because nothing compares to it!

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Talk to me!